The Student Room Group

Computer Science at Uni without Further maths?

I want to apply to do computer science at uni but most of the uni's i'm looking at "strongly recommend" further maths. I opted out of doing it at the beginning of as year because i was already doing 4 and i still wasn't sure what i wanted to do so i was unaware that i would need it. Is it enough to teach myself the fp modules and mention it in my personal statement that i can do them i just don't have the formal qualification? Or should I consider dropping one of my subjects after this year and do fp next year? I'm doing computing, maths, physics and chemistry at the moment :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lordyP
I want to apply to do computer science at uni but most of the uni's i'm looking at "strongly recommend" further maths. I opted out of doing it at the beginning of as year because i was already doing 4 and i still wasn't sure what i wanted to do so i was unaware that i would need it. Is it enough to teach myself the fp modules and mention it in my personal statement that i can do them i just don't have the formal qualification? Or should I consider dropping one of my subjects after this year and do fp next year? I'm doing computing, maths, physics and chemistry at the moment :confused:

Moved this to the CS uni courses forum :h:
Okay thanks
Unfortunately I applied with further maths :tongue: but I also have many friends that have offers from the top unis without further maths :smile: if you have another good subject it would be okay :smile:
Original post by acontium
Unfortunately I applied with further maths :tongue: but I also have many friends that have offers from the top unis without further maths :smile: if you have another good subject it would be okay :smile:
yeah they don't say it's compulsory so I think i might get away with just teaching myself some of the fp stuff so that i'm not so behind! Thank you
Some people I know who were more worried did an AS in further maths if that's an idea?
No chance at Imperial/Oxbridge without it.
Reply 7
Original post by Brubeckian
No chance at Imperial/Oxbridge without it.

^

Any other uni's you should be fine.
Reply 8
You can still do Comp Sci without it, but you are at a disadvantage. As others have pointed out, Further Maths is required at the top universities, and for some can get you a contextual offer e.g Warwick offer A*AA, but AAA with FM. Don't let it bother you too much though; there are still many (good/prestigious) universities which will accept you without it. Your main focus should be on your grades.
Original post by acontium
Some people I know who were more worried did an AS in further maths if that's an idea?

Yeah i could do that next year which of my current subjects do you think i should drop if i do it? It should probably be chemistry but i'd rather drop physics because I really like chemistry
Dropping is up to you, I like physics soo :tongue:
Does anyone recommend a good computer science uni? I've heard durham and lancaster are good?
I applied to durham but then have been since told that it's not very well funded and not great but that's only what I got told, so take that with a pinch of salt Depends what area you'd like to go into
Original post by lordyP

Further maths isn't compulsory at most universities.
If you're going to self-teach the further pure modules, you might as well self-teach another two-three applied modules as well and take the exams to get the A-level. If you don't want to do the applied modules, it's still a good idea to take the further pure exams and get an AS from it.
Reply 14
Original post by lordyP
Does anyone recommend a good computer science uni? I've heard durham and lancaster are good?

ucl, bristol, warwick are decent.
Durham were kitted out with a brand new department in 2013- so not underfunded.
Did you turn down your offer from Durham acontium??
Yes I did turn it down as I wanted a more maths based degree which they are better suited at, also from what I was told that made up a large part of my descion. Hence why I said to take with a pinch of salt
You can defo do FM in a year, I've done it :P
Alongside 4 other A2s
Reply 18
Currently a first year computer science student at the university of Southampton. I took AS IT and then physics maths and chemistry A2, never studied any further maths in my life and got an offer to study of AAA, which I achieved spot on in maths physics and chemistry. I have capably managed the maths module in the first semester, I wouldn't worry yourself too much, it's far from compulsory

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lordyP

You can get into Lancaster's CS program without any Maths or science-based A Levels at all.

Your focus should be on your grades. If you get AAA with an A in Maths, regardless of your other subjects, universities will be keen on you. Getting AAA with Maths is better than ABB with Further Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending