The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

The UCL PPE thread

Apparently they have a new PPE degree. Will anyone be applying for it?

Scroll to see replies

Wow, that's great.
PPE is now also offered by LSE. I guess there is a great way for a top student to get into Oxford, LSE or UCL: UCL have Phil and Econ and now PPE, LSE as well and Oxford has PPE itself. Good luck!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Why couldn't they do this last year :frown:
Reply 3
Wow. Why are the entry requirements so high if it's brand new??
Yayy this came just in the nick of time for me :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Le samourai
Why couldn't they do this last year :frown:

Yep.. and why are the requirements so high?
Original post by MrDigBick

A*AA-AAA isn't really that high...
Being an international student, I just can't understand how Warwick could be better than UCL, King's and Imperial.
Original post by MichelBraga
Being an international student, I just can't understand how Warwick could be better than UCL, King's and Imperial.

He's joking and Warwick is usually seen as better than King's. King's seems to have an inflated reputation internationally for some reason. It's generally harder to get into Warwick than King's.
Original post by MrDigBick

Original post by yl95
A*AA-AAA isn't really that high...

Yup, pretty standard for a UCL degree. They know it'll be popular so they don't have to attract people by setting low entry requirements.
Original post by x__justmyluck
Yup, pretty standard for a UCL degree. They know it'll be popular so they don't have to attract people by setting low entry requirements.

I actually was surprised that AAA was a possible requirement; I expected it to be bang on A*AA.
Original post by yl95
I actually was surprised that AAA was a possible requirement; I expected it to be bang on A*AA.

Their main competition for the best students will be Oxford who's entry requirements are AAA. So it's a tactical decision even though most successful applicants will probably achieve at least A*AA.
I can understand A*AA, but why must the A* by in Maths? Why not Economics, History, or another essay writing subject? I want to do PPE, but probably won't get on to the courses asking for A*s in Maths (UCL and LSE definitely, not sure where else).
Original post by MichelBraga
I understand your point, but I'm from Europe, I have some friends in the US, and even some in South America, who have some knowledge about universities at the UK, and still King's is regarded as a more "professional", traditional and focused university.

But I also heard a lot of probably false statements, like: "King's is downgraded at the UK because it has a lot of posh/douchebag kids."

Hm, that's interesting...
Their main competition for the best students will be Oxford who's entry requirements are AAA. So it's a tactical decision even though most successful applicants will probably achieve at least A*AA.

Oh yeah, I did forget that Oxford's requirement's AAA. xD
Original post by Handles
I can understand A*AA, but why must the A* by in Maths? Why not Economics, History, or another essay writing subject? I want to do PPE, but probably won't get on to the courses asking for A*s in Maths (UCL and LSE definitely, not sure where else).

That is strange. Apply to Oxford, Maths isn't even a requirement, just helpful.

I plan on doing so... Not that getting in is by any means an easy feat!
Original post by Handles
I plan on doing so... Not that getting in is by any means an easy feat!

If you do get in, once you're here you'll realise that getting in was a piece of cake compared to the work you've got to do :tongue:.
If you do get in, once you're here you'll realise that getting in was a piece of cake compared to the work you've got to do :tongue:.

Ah, haha, I can imagine! What's the workload generally like, though? Presumably at least two essays a week? :tongue:
Original post by Handles
I can understand A*AA, but why must the A* by in Maths?

On my reading the requirement for the A* in maths applies only to students wanting to take Economics for the duration of the degree. Similarly, Oxford wants A level maths for H&E and E&M because there is on neither course an option to drop Economics (as exists for PPE).
Original post by cambio wechsel
On my reading the requirement for the A* in maths applies only to students wanting to take Economics for the duration of the degree. Similarly, Oxford wants A level maths for H&E and E&M because there is on neither course an option to drop Economics (as exists for PPE).

I don't have a quarrel with any university offering PPE wanting an A-Level in Maths, it seems perfectly logical. I just don't understand why it has to be an A* for UCL and LSE, when an A* in Economics would seem far more understandable. I feel like I could get an A in Maths (generally getting around 92+ for C1, low 80s for C2), but I don't think I could manage an A*. Stranger things have happened though, I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending