The Student Room Group

Portsmouth vs Southamton?? UNI Comparison!

Poll

Portsmouth UNI vs Southamptopn UNI

Hi Guys, So I'm hoping to apply for the 2016 intake at either Portsmouth or Southampton for a 5 Year sandwhich Meng in Electrical and Electronic Engineering and unsure of which UNI to go to.

I'm familiar with Portsmouth and know the area relativley well, however Southampton I've never been too, I will be attending both UNI's open days as soon as I can.

- Which UNI is the best equiped?
- Which city has the best night life?
- Which has the closest campus? I.E. I don't wnat to be living in halls 20 minnutes away ideally...

Thanks guys, Be sure to throw your opinion in :smile:
If you're applying for 2016 entry then you will have 5 choices on UCAS.

Apply to both.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
If you're applying for 2016 entry then you will have 5 choices on UCAS.

Apply to both.

I will be sure too, have you gone to either?
Southampton is miles ahead of Portsmouth in electrical/electronic engineering rankings. Both cities have good nightlife as far as I'm aware. The distance to campus depends on where you end up living at Southampton (don't know about Portsmouth). If you get an offer from both I'd go to Southampton.

I don't think Portsmouth do EEE but if you applied for MEng Electronic Engineering at both unis, the offers (according to the online uni sites) are:

Portsmouth: 300-340 UCAS points (equivalent to BBB-AAB)
Southampton: A*AA

This is quite a gap between the two unis - your decision should really reflect your capabilities. A good question to ask yourself is what are you aiming for, BBB-AAB or AAA+? As PQ said, you have 5 choices, a good idea is to pick one uni above your predicted grades, 3 that match your predictions, and one below (insurance). Good luck!

(I'm a Southampton EE student, feel free to ask questions)

Quick Reply

Latest