Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster Offer Holders 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by steelman1000
hello
is Lancaster as a whole really popular because a lot of my friends confuse it with UCLAN :frown: so do you think it's widely recognised by employers?
thanks a lot !

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe it depends what degree you're doing... It's in top 1% of world's universities, top 20 in the UK and gor some subjects top 5 or top 10. It is a great uni considering it's only 50 years old... Statistically, 96% of graduates are in further education or employment within 6 months after graduation which is roughly 9 in 10. We have excellent Carrers Service, offering Lancaster Award (google it, great stuff for increasing employability), many careers centred workshops and employer presentation. You can also apply fot Career Mentoring Scheme which I can't recommend enough, great experience.
I've always heard positives from people who graduated and went to get a job. It is a great university. Sometimes not as well-recognised as older ones but it's thriving.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by lastlullabyy
I believe it depends what degree you're doing... It's in top 1% of world's universities, top 20 in the UK and gor some subjects top 5 or top 10. It is a great uni considering it's only 50 years old... Statistically, 96% of graduates are in further education or employment within 6 months after graduation which is roughly 9 in 10. We have excellent Carrers Service, offering Lancaster Award (google it, great stuff for increasing employability), many careers centred workshops and employer presentation. You can also apply fot Career Mentoring Scheme which I can't recommend enough, great experience.
I've always heard positives from people who graduated and went to get a job. It is a great university. Sometimes not as well-recognised as older ones but it's thriving.

thanks, really helpful...lastly, is it easy to get a part time Job in Lancaster as am gonna need it :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi :smile: To be honest I've never been on a proper night out in Lancaster but have many friends who go out on regular basis. Three most popular clubs are Elements, Hustle and Sugarhouse (run by LUSU - Lancaster University Students Union). There are also lots of pubs and bars, quite a few of nice restaurants and places to eat with good student offers. On campus there are quite few pubs, every college has one. Obviously you don't need to be a member of a college to go to college's bar. There's something to do, quite a lot even on campus. lots of societies, great sports centre.... We evev have a little cinema on campus which has few screenings per week and entrance fee is low :smile:
I'm studying quite hard degree + I'm working 20 hours per week just outside Lancaster so I don't have as much time to do other things. If you want a feel of bigger city, Liverpool or Manchester are both just over an hour by train :smile: Lancaster is small but you can really feel its student atmosphere everywhere you go.
With regards to colleges... I'm in Pendle myself, picked it for a cool logo to be honest... If I could pick again, would choose Furness I think. Most of my friends are from there and it seems to have quite good social life, Also if you want to live on campus, Furness location is great.

Thankyou :biggrin: that really helped

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by steelman1000
thanks, really helpful...lastly, is it easy to get a part time Job in Lancaster as am gonna need it :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh dear... Um I'll be honest with you. It is certainly not easy. Took me 8 months of endless sending to find one not even in Lancaster. I couldn't get anything here. Ended up working in Garstang for 5 months, now working in Forton. Most adverts come up during holidays so if you're available to stay in Lancaster then, it's more likely you're goingnto get a job.
I suppose it also comes down to experience and availibility. But prepare yourself for long hunt... It's a small city and there arebtwo universities in it = hundreds of students looking for part-time jobs...
Oh dear... Um I'll be honest with you. It is certainly not easy. Took me 8 months of endless sending to find one not even in Lancaster. I couldn't get anything here. Ended up working in Garstang for 5 months, now working in Forton. Most adverts come up during holidays so if you're available to stay in Lancaster then, it's more likely you're goingnto get a job.
I suppose it also comes down to experience and availibility. But prepare yourself for long hunt... It's a small city and there arebtwo universities in it = hundreds of students looking for part-time jobs...

thanks, really helpful:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Firmed Lancaster for English Lit today. Very excited and can't wait to start!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I'm still deciding on my college and I am stuck between Bowland, Furness and Lonsdale :/ I went to an applicant visit day and a student in BLS department said appaz everyone hates Bowlanders haha and I asked why and she said "just simply because" and I really want to put Bowland as my first choice so I dunno ha Furness was really nice also but the superior ensuite flats are 8 per kitchen and was wondering if that's a lot or would it be fun? We didn't go to Lonsdale but I've heard it's a big party college and I don't drink :/ so what do you think of all these colleges? Any opinions? Anything input would be great especially from current students pls, thank you 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nerdy_Birdy96
Firmed Lancaster for English Lit today. Very excited and can't wait to start!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just firmed for chemistry as well :smile:
Original post by imaanicus
Hi I'm still deciding on my college and I am stuck between Bowland, Furness and Lonsdale :/ I went to an applicant visit day and a student in BLS department said appaz everyone hates Bowlanders haha and I asked why and she said "just simply because" and I really want to put Bowland as my first choice so I dunno ha Furness was really nice also but the superior ensuite flats are 8 per kitchen and was wondering if that's a lot or would it be fun? We didn't go to Lonsdale but I've heard it's a big party college and I don't drink :/ so what do you think of all these colleges? Any opinions? Anything input would be great especially from current students pls, thank you 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Em... I'm also in BLS department and I don't see anything wrong with choosing the college you like. Both Bowland and Furness have great location and good accommodation. To be honest though, I don't really socialize or go out... I did meet my boyfriend in my college but overall in my opinion whole crap talk about college experience is overrared. Especially if you chose later not to live on campus what most people end up doing after freshers year. I can't really talk about experience of living in halls as mine was awful, had horrendous flatmates. 8 per kitchen is quite a lot but I think you end up in such arrangement in most halls. Lonsdale is really remote, it's windy there and wi fi signal is quite crap :tongue: though it's not quite as bad as Cartmel.
I think that Bowland has nicer accommodation and is right in the centre of campus, based on your choice of accommodation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those are the exact same colleges i am thinking of, apart from grizedale instead of lonsdale

From asking around, this is what i have heard: bowland: central, but some say it is not as 'nice as the others' apparently the others have nicer facilities?

Furness: apparently has a really good social life, friendly small - lots of various socials (drinking ones like their bar crawl) and ones that don't involve drinking..i think she said things like trips to trafford, the manchester xmas markets etc

Lonsdale: my guide was from here -liked it but said it was not central, she described it as the 'partying and outgoing college'

Personally i am thinking furness superior ensuite and i was also thinking it was a lot to share with...but when i looked around its massive, and personally i think the more people the more likely you ll find someone u get on with/ a variety of people :smile:

Hope this helped - i'm really indecisive but i think i'm putting furness 1st :')Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hollywooddreamer
Those are the exact same colleges i am thinking of, apart from grizedale instead of lonsdale

From asking around, this is what i have heard: bowland: central, but some say it is not as 'nice as the others' apparently the others have nicer facilities?

Furness: apparently has a really good social life, friendly small - lots of various socials (drinking ones like their bar crawl) and ones that don't involve drinking..i think she said things like trips to trafford, the manchester xmas markets etc

Lonsdale: my guide was from here -liked it but said it was not central, she described it as the 'partying and outgoing college'

Personally i am thinking furness superior ensuite and i was also thinking it was a lot to share with...but when i looked around its massive, and personally i think the more people the more likely you ll find someone u get on with/ a variety of people :smile:

Hope this helped - i'm really indecisive but i think i'm putting furness 1st :')Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! I think I'm gonna put Furness as my first choice and Bowland as my second :smile:
Em... I'm also in BLS department and I don't see anything wrong with choosing the college you like. Both Bowland and Furness have great location and good accommodation. To be honest though, I don't really socialize or go out... I did meet my boyfriend in my college but overall in my opinion whole crap talk about college experience is overrared. Especially if you chose later not to live on campus what most people end up doing after freshers year. I can't really talk about experience of living in halls as mine was awful, had horrendous flatmates. 8 per kitchen is quite a lot but I think you end up in such arrangement in most halls. Lonsdale is really remote, it's windy there and wi fi signal is quite crap :tongue: though it's not quite as bad as Cartmel.
I think that Bowland has nicer accommodation and is right in the centre of campus, based on your choice of accommodation.

Thank you for your help I'm gonna put Furness as my first choice and Bowland as my second :smile:
Thank you so much! I think I'm gonna put Furness as my first choice and Bowland as my second :smile:

Its fine :smile: looks like we 'll be in the same college then :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone thinking County?
Original post by Hollywooddreamer
Its fine :smile: looks like we 'll be in the same college then :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woop woop Furness4Lyf!!!
Reply 395
When do we set our first and second choices for colleges?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shortarse11
Is anyone thinking County?

Stayed in County few weeks during summer last week, quite nice accommodation and better location than Cartmel, Lonsdale. But then again, to me all college accommodation looks pretty much the same in Lancaster :P Heard good things about County, don't know anyone who picked it and regretted.
Thank you for your help I'm gonna put Furness as my first choice and Bowland as my second :smile:

You're welcome :smile: What course are you going to study?
Original post by Jmce
When do we set our first and second choices for colleges?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You get an email early June for you to choose what kind of accommodation and colleges
You're welcome :smile: What course are you going to study?

Biomedical Sciences, really excited to go!! What did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending