The Student Room Group

What do you think is a good salary and why?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
Investment Banking/Trading, Management Consulting and Investing (Hedge Funds or Private Equity).

I'm personally aiming for £130k+ by 30 I'm looking into strategy consulting, algorithmic trading or a software engineering job at a startup/top tech company.

I'm probably going to do an MBA (preferably at a top US school) in my mid-late 20s to try and move into private equity or more senior director roles at top companies.

What careers are you looking into?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well that's more than realistic if you're looking at those careers (and you work hard...)

Original post by Abdul-Karim
Investment Banking M&A or another IBD role.

What career do you hope to go into to achieve that.

I'm in my final year of university but I have a job at a commercial law firm for when I finish postgraduate study.
Original post by RobertWhite

I'm in my final year of university but I have a job at a commercial law firm for when I finish postgraduate study.

Good lad, congrats, all the best with it. What are law grad salaries like?

Pretty decent.

I have a mate starting his training contract and is on £38k going up to ~£60-70k post qualification.

I've heard the american firms pay the most. The post qual salaries are more like: £90-100k.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, can't wait to start! What stage are you at?

Graduate salaries for law depend on whether you're working for a high street firm or somewhere in the city (and of course if you're looking at becoming a solicitor or barrister). I think high-street firms tend to pay around the minimum salary for the two year training contract (around £16,650 to £25,000). City firms tend to pay around £35,000-£45,000. Usually not including bonus' but in all honesty I don't know how much these tend to be. I'll be earning at the higher end (though I'd do it for far less!).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RobertWhite
Thanks, can't wait to start! What stage are you at?

Graduate salaries for law depend on whether you're working for a high street firm or somewhere in the city (and of course if you're looking at becoming a solicitor or barrister). I think high-street firms tend to pay around the minimum salary for the two year training contract (around £16,650 to £25,000). City firms tend to pay around £35,000-£45,000. Usually not including bonus' but in all honesty I don't know how much these tend to be. I'll be earning at the higher end (though I'd do it for far less!).

I'm still a first year :K: a while to go. Had a pre-uni summer intern and now doing the first year spring intern in IB.

Good stuff :wink: get that money!
I'm still a first year :K: a while to go. Had a pre-uni summer intern and now doing the first year spring intern in IB.

Good stuff :wink: get that money!

Looks like you're on the right tracks then!

Good luck :wink:
Original post by Uz25
What's K

thousand
Original post by earthworm
I have heard it said that 35k is enough for people to comfortably enjoy life. Everyone will always want more!

In the future my starting salary will be 21,000 and if I specalise then 25,000.. is that a good salary
Original post by Uz25
In the future my starting salary will be 21,000 and if I specalise then 25,000.. is that a good salary

In London no. Rest of uk its good. grads at my work start on 18k. 21k Bit of a squeeze if you have kids but otherwise ok.
Original post by earthworm
In London no. Rest of uk its good. grads at my work start on 18k. 21k Bit of a squeeze if you have kids but otherwise ok.

Oh ok.. but I'm ganna make sure my husband earns aswell in the future so it's cool.. are u from Nottinghamshire
Original post by Uz25
Oh ok.. but I'm ganna make sure my husband earns aswell in the future so it's cool.. are u from Nottinghamshire

Was, live in Yorkshire now.
I heard that one is at their happiest when earning £200,000 a year because if the annual salary is less then it can make quite a difference in lifestyle. Whereas, any more than 200k allows one to be lavish etc, but not any more content because the best things in life can't be bought... "But millionaires sat in a jacuzzi outside their mansion on their own island are happy." True, but apparently they are not actually any happier within their subconscious :smile:
Original post by Uz25

Its a pretty average ish salary in the UK.

And in London, no its not good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by reallydontknow
Its a pretty average ish salary in the UK.

And in London, no its not good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's is a good salary in London
Original post by J-SP
It isn't necessarily that high. One study state its 75,000 US dollars another 161,000 US dollars. Either way it's not as high as £200k.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I read it in a newspaper a while ago so it has probably changed since then. I personally would be very happy with 161,000 U.S. dollars!
Original post by Uz25
What's is a good salary in London

Average salary is £38,000. You'd probably want to be on about £30,000 at the very least though and you won't have much disposable income on that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by J-SP
It isn't necessarily that high. One study state its 75,000 US dollars another 161,000 US dollars. Either way it's not as high as £200k.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the US though. The cost of living is significantly higher in the UK, or at least in the South East region. We also have a different taxation system and house prices, utility prices etc. which distort how far your income goes. So that can't be used as a direct comparison. The benchmark would probably be a lot higher in the UK.

From speaking to people in the Americas, their salary goes a lot further there than an equivalent would here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by J-SP
The same study said it was 133,000 USD equivalent for the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Makes sense, that's nearly double the 75,000 USD.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by will2348
Average salary is £38,000. You'd probably want to be on about £30,000 at the very least though and you won't have much disposable income on that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's too much . Max il earn in the future is 25,000
Original post by Uz25
That's too much . Max il earn in the future is 25,000

Well that's depressing...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending