The Student Room Group

What do you think is a good salary and why?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Uz25
That's too much . Max il earn in the future is 25,000

Well then, if you want to earn more you need to find a difference career.

I certainly wouldn't recommend living in London.

If you're happy with early an averageish wage then there's nothing wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by small_circles
Well that's depressing...

Posted from TSR Mobile

How much are u ganna earn eyy??
And not really i know people earning £18,000 and they are quite happy thanks

What careers make u earn well then eyy?
Original post by reallydontknow
Well then, if you want to earn more you need to find a difference career.

I certainly wouldn't recommend living in London.

If you're happy with early an averageish wage then there's nothing wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What science careers= well paid salary?
Original post by Uz25
What science careers= well paid salary?

Engineering, medicine, dentistry. Even teaching can end up earning more than that.

With a science degree though you can go into loads of other jobs. Finance, law and the like earn loads and you can go into them.

Engineering for example squally you can get a 25k starting wage if you're good.

With finance, you can get 40-50k starting wage (like investment banking)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Engineering, medicine, dentistry. Even teaching can end up earning more than that.

With a science degree though you can go into loads of other jobs. Finance, law and the like earn loads and you can go into them.

Engineering for example squally you can get a 25k starting wage if you're good.

With finance, you can get 40-50k starting wage (like investment banking)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who your kidding XD Teachers= £21,000
Biomedical scientist= £21,000 / £25,000
Geneticist= £25,000 +
Other than engineering, medicine, optometry, pharmacy and dentistry what science careers are well paid e.g. pharmacologist, audiologist e.t.c.!
I would've said a person on their own earning £20k was a good salary...

A lot of you are living in cloud cuckoo land.
Original post by Ice Dragon

Same!!
Original post by Uz25
How much are u ganna earn eyy??
And not really i know people earning £18,000 and they are quite happy thanks

What careers make u earn well then eyy?

You should develop some ambition...you'll never own your own house, your own car etc...is that what you want? Law, finance, medicine....get into those, work hard and you'll make more than less than the average wage:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Uz25

Why? There is room for progression in nearly every career.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Uz25
Who your kidding XD Teachers= £21,000
Biomedical scientist= £21,000 / £25,000
Geneticist= £25,000 +
Other than engineering, medicine, optometry, pharmacy and dentistry what science careers are well paid e.g. pharmacologist, audiologist e.t.c.!

The starting wage for teachers is 22k do you are off. And can earn up to 32k outside of London. And around 37.5k inside London.

http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/about-teaching/salary/pay-and-benefits

Again those are probably starting wages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You should develop some ambition...you'll never own your own house, your own car etc...is that what you want? Law, finance, medicine....get into those, work hard and you'll make more than less than the average wage:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

HELP MOI
i got 7 gcses all C's and im doing btec l3 applied medical science...
I want to go to uni such as ntu / uni of notts.. im considering doing biomedical science/ pharmacology/ audiology/ chemistry/biochemistry/ neuroscience degrees... help!! what careers !!
The starting wage for teachers is 22k do you are off. And can earn up to 32k outside of London. And around 37.5k inside London.

http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/about-teaching/salary/pay-and-benefits

Again those are probably starting wages.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dont want to be a teacher
You mean you don't ever expect to get promoted? Anyway, up north you'd be fine on that, but in London you'll never get out of housesharing with strangers. To comfortably rent a flat even in outer London, IMHO you need over £30k. I looked at moving there last year, and decided not to cause housing costs so much.

Original post by Uz25
Original post by chaikhosi
You mean you don't ever expect to get promoted? Anyway, up north you'd be fine on that, but in London you'll never get out of housesharing with strangers. To comfortably rent a flat even in outer London, IMHO you need over £30k. I looked at moving there last year, and decided not to cause housing costs so much.

Guys i dont live in London! plus im only 16 years old!!
Original post by Uz25
HELP MOI
i got 7 gcses all C's and im doing btec l3 applied medical science...
I want to go to uni such as ntu / uni of notts.. im considering doing biomedical science/ pharmacology/ audiology/ chemistry/biochemistry/ neuroscience degrees... help!! what careers !!

Co-op's recruiting....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Co-op's recruiting....

Posted from TSR Mobile

You lot will just drain my confidence bye. i'll prove u lot wrong in the future but yh i wont be in contact LOOL
Original post by Uz25
Dont want to be a teacher

I'm not saying you have to, but you thought teachers don't earn that much, but I showed you they do. Most stem careers will end up earning know than 25k a year. Because that's less than the UK average. And most stem careers are well paid.

If you do like a Chemistry degree, the average starting wage is probably around 23k+ (I haven't checked.) you can earn more than 25k easily.

Again if you're happy with 25k then take it.

Original post by Ice Dragon

Since its below average I can't say it's good. It's quite a lot below average actually. Average for full time workers in the UK is 26,500.

Starting wages on science and finance jobs can be anywhere from 25-45k and progress quite quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm not saying you have to, but you thought teachers don't earn that much, but I showed you they do. Most stem careers will end up earning know than 25k a year. Because that's less than the UK average. And most stem careers are well paid.

If you do like a Chemistry degree, the average starting wage is probably around 23k+ (I haven't checked.) you can earn more than 25k easily.

Again if you're happy with 25k then take it.

Since its below average I can't say it's good. It's quite a lot below average actually. Average for full time workers in the UK is 26,500.

Starting wages on science and finance jobs can be anywhere from 25-45k and progress quite quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really?? people in Nottinghamshire say that £21,000 or £25,000 is good??
Original post by Uz25
Really?? people in Nottinghamshire say that £21,000 or £25,000 is good??

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/Issues/2006/October/WealthCareerChoices.asp

That's just for chemistry.

I can tell you now if you study a good stem subject in university, and look for a job you will easily get one that has the potential to earn 30-50k before you're 30

A lot of good unis accept btec, Lancaster do. Even elite unis like UCL accept btecs for courses such as BEng engineering

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh sorry, i must have misread something. Thought you were looking at London.

For the best choice of unis i think you need A-Levels. Can you still switch, even if it means an extra year at college? Universities don't care if you are 18 or 19 as long as you have the grades.

The UCAS tariff says how many points different courses are worth, and lots of unis set entry requirements in the form of tariff points. Some of the more selective will only consider a-levels though.
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/entry-requirements/tariff/tariff-tables

Original post by Uz25
Guys i dont live in London! plus im only 16 years old!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending