The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by luci444
Hey, yeah I got an offer a few days later after my interview, have you been for your interview yet?

My interview was on the 18th of Feb, how long after your interview did you hear back?
Original post by Clivia
I fully agree that interviewing for this course makes a whole lot of sense and is probably the best way of assessing a candidate's suitability. I just wouldn't say it is the ONLY good way of selecting candidates. Just like you said, interviews are like exams, some people get nervous, don't feel well that day etc. and might still be excellent candidates. These people may put a lot of work and thought into their personal statements, write them independently (as I naively thought you should) and wouldn't appreciate others that might not have taken their statements as seriously disregarding their efforts.
Others are great at representing themselves and communicating convincingly but might lack the relevant experience or academic skills. People are different, universities are different, they all select differently and we all choose differently :smile:

(Personally, I actually like interviews too but much prefer exams to coursework ������)

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I get you completely, but if you can't interview on a bad day how are you going to survive a placement on a bad day?

at my interview I had been up since 3am cause of family shiz happening, I still made it there and despite being exhausted by the time the actual interviews took place I gave it my absolute all and refused to walk out of there without feeling like I'd bagged an offer.

everyone has a bad day, week, or month; people also get nervous and feel ill, but if you allow that to hamper something as important as a uni interview then how are you going to handle placements, deadlines or commuting etc.

while I do think a lot can be taken from your personal statement I don't think I like the idea of being defined by a piece of work that isn't even a page long and is constricted by character count.
Original post by izzydizzyyy
Finally someone who gets me!!! :P yeah I mean don't get me wrong I slaved over my personal statement for months and really tried to get it perfect. But at the end of the day, like you say, interviews make sense. If you get nervous and don't perform well at interviews I would personally think you're not ready for the course - since pretty soon upon starting the course we would be out on placements!

Exactly, and some people aren't good at expressing themselves on paper so despite being a strong candidate they may be rejected if it were based on statements alone.

i get that as well, this time I spent hours on my statement getting it perfect as I didn't have the support of my sixth form behind me, it was a completely different experience this time. As was the interview prep as I had no clue what I was going into!

Exactly, if you can't handle an interview you're not prepared for the demands of the course. I'm not saying everyone who cannot interview isn't good enough, it just may not be their time as they obviously lack confidence, and self belief is one thing that will get you through this thing.
Original post by anomea
I've put DMU as my insurance and then Reading as my firm :smile:

Ah, congratulations! Reading looks so amazing!

imo you've got the best of both world there as I loved DMU so it's a nice insurance to have!
Original post by Carolina Monica
My interview was on the 18th of Feb, how long after your interview did you hear back?

Ah okay:smile: a week later
Original post by luci444
Ah okay:smile: a week later

Awesome, do you think you'll firm it? :smile: when was your interview?
Original post by Carolina Monica
Awesome, do you think you'll firm it? :smile: when was your interview?

18th of febuary to, I must of seen you there haha, I'm not sure at the moment, I'm thinking about leeds to
Did anyone get a letter from Marjon regarding DBS forms? Confused because apparently we have to pay for it and I woulda thought we wouldn't
Did anyone get a letter from Marjon regarding DBS forms? Confused because apparently we have to pay for it and I woulda thought we wouldn't

Yes, we'll have to pay as the only time a DBS is without charge is if someone is a volunteer. Often workplaces will pick up the charge of a DBS, but a university won't as it is no gain to them!
Original post by madagascar
Yes, we'll have to pay as the only time a DBS is without charge is if someone is a volunteer. Often workplaces will pick up the charge of a DBS, but a university won't as it is no gain to them!

Weird - I didn't have to pay for mine - the uni did.
Original post by AmyPilot
Weird - I didn't have to pay for mine - the uni did.

That's really good! Lucky you! it's odd how they all do things differently isn't it!? I can understand why some do charge tho as it would be very expensive for them to have to pay for everyone's! I'm going to see if they will accept the DBS checks I already have as they are both less than a year old! Worth a try anyway!
That's really good! Lucky you! it's odd how they all do things differently isn't it!? I can understand why some do charge tho as it would be very expensive for them to have to pay for everyone's! I'm going to see if they will accept the DBS checks I already have as they are both less than a year old! Worth a try anyway!

I am not an expert but I thought it had to be in the unis name to be valid - but maybe I have made that up somewhere in my brain - it was my first one as I was a college leaver and it had never been necessary before lol.

MMU got everyone with offers to full in the forms etc but they didn't actually send them until your offer had gone unconditional (so after results day for me) - suppose that's a way to keep the costs to a minimum. We then had to take them into the uni when the results were received.
I am not an expert but I thought it had to be in the unis name to be valid - but maybe I have made that up somewhere in my brain - it was my first one as I was a college leaver and it had never been necessary before lol.

MMU got everyone with offers to full in the forms etc but they didn't actually send them until your offer had gone unconditional (so after results day for me) - suppose that's a way to keep the costs to a minimum. We then had to take them into the uni when the results were received.

Haha no not made up - it depends completely on the place. I have worked in establishments where I have had to have a new check and other places where they have been happy to just see a certificate issued from elsewhere.

Hmm I assume we MAY be able to claim it back once we have a place/funding, because DBS's are normally free (as in jobs pay for you) and the NHS seems to reimburse for a lot of things like travel costs...so worth a shot I'm thinking!

Have they actually stated they're paying for them? Because Marjon made us fill forms out before the interview and only just now I got in the post a letter about paying for it. Bizarre that they're doing it this early...I could get up to all sorts between now and September hahaha
Hmm I assume we MAY be able to claim it back once we have a place/funding, because DBS's are normally free (as in jobs pay for you) and the NHS seems to reimburse for a lot of things like travel costs...so worth a shot I'm thinking!

Possibly? Worth a shot anyhow - if you don't ask you definitely won't get!
Have they actually stated they're paying for them? Because Marjon made us fill forms out before the interview and only just now I got in the post a letter about paying for it. Bizarre that they're doing it this early...I could get up to all sorts between now and September hahaha

I am already in the first year at MMU doing psychology and speech pathology so know for definite that they paid for mine! As I said although everyone with offers filled in the forms they were not actually sent until our offers became unconditional (mid August for me).

Get the clearance now then they break all the rules till uni starts lol!
I am already in the first year at MMU doing psychology and speech pathology so know for definite that they paid for mine! As I said although everyone with offers filled in the forms they were not actually sent until our offers became unconditional (mid August for me).

Get the clearance now then they break all the rules till uni starts lol!

Does this mean I'll be getting one soon to fill in soon then?

Also, do you recon I should send them a copy of my gcse's etc as they said they needed proof of them or should I wait until my offered turned unconditional if I get the grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
Does this mean I'll be getting one soon to fill in soon then?

Also, do you recon I should send them a copy of my gcse's etc as they said they needed proof of them or should I wait until my offered turned unconditional if I get the grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Send your certificates now - no need to wait to do that - I scanned/emailed all mine.

The DBS check is done at the uni - I think they emailed me with drop in dates - I met up with a couple of people from last years thread and we went together sometime in July (after all the exams were over). You can just request the form but it all has to be completed and verified so went for the option of visiting the uni in person because atleast I knew it would all be right then - you just have to take the appropriate id with you.
Reply 2919
Anyone else doing an access course - since we receive our results before a levels does that mean we will have our places confirmed in like July?

We were discussing this in college on Thursday. My tutor has said that we need to inform the university of our grades and that we can do this in July. Ascentis are in at the beginning of the month then we get a print-out of our grades with the college stamp on it. Universities will accept this, then we get the official certificate in August.

Quick Reply

Latest