The Student Room Group

Can I still get into medicine with a double science award?

I want to apply to St Andrews, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Imperial and Aberdeen. Will they accept me if I have a double award in GCSE science instead of having the triple science?Please help, I am very worried.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by filzahkhan
I want to apply to St Andrews, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Imperial and Aberdeen. Will they accept me if I have a double award in GCSE science instead of having the triple science?Please help, I am very worried.

Triple Science GCSE in itself is not essential but double science will leave you less well prepared to do Science A levels as you will not have covered the hardest 1/3 of the GCSE. If you can't manage A*A* at GCSE then you're chances of nailing the minimum of an AA you need at Chemistry and Biology A level will be very low.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by buxtonarmy
You're wrong.

In which part?
Reply 3
Most doctors have done triple science and some have even completed triple science up to A2 (i.e. A2s in Chemistry, Biology and Maths).

Some although haven't, although generally their GCSE grades would be quite strong - at least AA in double science.

The thing about triple science is that is gears you for the workload of A-level and the difficulty of the content better prepares you for A-level according to my school. You can still do great at AS and A2, although you may struggle a bit more than your triple science counterparts.

I think of the further additional science exams as the 'add maths equivalent' for science. It acts as a 'bridge' between GCSE and A-level and challenges the higher achieving students.
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
In which part?

Triple award or double award bears no reflection on your ability to complete A levels to a high standard.

Original post by jamestg
Most doctors have done triple science and some have even completed triple science up to A2 (i.e. A2s in Chemistry, Biology and Maths).

Some although haven't, although generally their GCSE grades would be quite strong - at least AA in double science.

The thing about triple science is that is gears you for the workload of A-level and the difficulty of the content better prepares you for A-level according to my school. You can still do great at AS and A2, although you may struggle a bit more than your triple science counterparts.

I think of the further additional science exams as the 'add maths equivalent' for science. It acts as a 'bridge' between GCSE and A-level and challenges the higher achieving students.

Triple award was introduced in 2008. This comment is such bull****.

OP, if you have double award as your school did not offer triple award it would not harm your application in any way. Even if you feel it does simply apply to the schools that don't rely heavily on GCSEs.
You only get 4 choices and I suggest you apply to your strengths, not what looks prettiest.
Reply 5
Original post by Zorg
Triple award or double award bears no reflection on your ability to complete A levels to a high standard.

I never said you couldn't get good A level grades only doing double Science, I said that you needed to get top grades in double Science to have a realistic chance of getting As in A level.

Original post by Zorg

No, that is rubbish. Are you seriously suggesting that it wasn't possible to get GCSEs in Biology, Chemistry and physics before 2008?
Reply 6
Original post by Zorg

OP, if you have double award as your school did not offer triple award it would not harm your application in any way. Even if you feel it does simply apply to the schools that don't rely heavily on GCSEs.
You only get 4 choices and I suggest you apply to your strengths, not what looks prettiest.

"triple award was introduced in 2008" - this is probably the most hilarious comment I've ever seen on these forums! :biggrin: The ability to do three separate sciences has been around since GCSEs began.

Schools in 2008 were told they must offer triple science to people achieving above a 6A, if you're referring to that.

I didn't ever say doing double science would harm your application, although science A-levels generally can be found harder. Particularly if taking two or more.
Reply 7
Original post by Compost
I never said you couldn't get good A level grades only doing double Science, I said that you needed to get top grades in double Science to have a realistic chance of getting As in A level.

If you can't manage A*A* at GCSE then you're chances of nailing the minimum of an AA you need at Chemistry and Biology A level will be very low.

You implied doing double award would hinder your ability at A level. You could get crap grades in triple award and get good A levels but not if you perform poorly in double award?

No, that is rubbish. Are you seriously suggesting that it wasn't possible to get GCSEs in Biology, Chemistry and physics before 2008?

Can't remember the exact year but yes, it's a fairly recent implementation only single or double award sciences were offered until then. I'm not sure you understand what double award science is, you still learn Biology, Chemistry and Physics to GCSE level, you simply receive 2 GCSE grades as opposed to 3. There is also a little less work, as you don't cover all of the same topics.
Most doctors certainly do not have triple award science GCSEs.
this thread probably isnt helping op very much...
Reply 9
Original post by Zorg
You implied doing double award would hinder your ability at A level. You could get crap grades in triple award and get good A levels but not if you perform poorly in double award?

Can't remember the exact year but yes, it's a fairly recent implementation only single or double award sciences were offered until then. I'm not sure you understand what double award science is, you still learn Biology, Chemistry and Physics to GCSE level, you simply receive 2 GCSE grades as opposed to 3. There is also a little less work, as you don't cover all of the same topics.
Most doctors certainly do not have triple award science GCSEs.

You're completely right that it will not affect people's chances of getting into med schools if they only have double award.

However, it has been possible to do three science GCSEs for a lot longer than 2008. I have three from 2000, though they are technically separate GCSEs in Physics, Chem and Bio, rather than "Triple award science." Don't know what change was made in 2008, but triple science is not a new thing.

Yeah don't worry, it's fine.

If you're choosing GCSE options, I'd advise to do triple science, just because it'll help a bit with A Level Science. But double science is fine too.
My school didn't offer triple science even though I was more than capable. Now I'm doing biology and chemistry at a level. It shouldn't hinder your chances of getting into medicine but you just will need to try a bit harder than students who may have done triple. But hey that's fine as long as you get your As at the end. 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did double science and still got an A* in A level physics. I've also got friends who did double science and then went on to get A/A* in A level chem/bio.

People seem to think only the super genius can handle triple science but that's complete rubbish...you're forgetting the fact that someone taking double science is likely to be taking one additional new subject than triple science people.. Its not like they're doing less gcses!

Basically want I'm trying to say is OP taking double science wont hinder your success at A Level, you might just need to work a little harder at the beginning to get up to speed. But you have exactly the same intellect to score highly as everyone else
(edited 9 years ago)
get A*s at GCSE and A in AS and the med school won't care

Get anything less than an A at AS and they'll question your scientific ability
I did double science and went on to get A in Biology and Chemistry at A level (would have been A* except I was around before they were introduced - each was >90% though). The only I thing I hadn't really covered that the triple science people had was the concept of moles, and even that I managed to pick up quickly!

Plus I got 4 offers for medicine so obviously medical schools don't care either!
Reply 15
thank you so much you guys, my test is on monday and I have to get a level 7.
Just to second what others have said, I'm a mature student so did GCSEs quite a few years ago now & did double science as that's what my school offered & now have 2 offers for medicine. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got AA in GCSE double science.
It does not really determine your A level performance. Only thing is that you will have to work slightly harder.

I got 4 A's at AS, and subsequently predicted 4 A*s at A2.

I'm a current medicine offer holder!

Really wouldn't worry OP.

Double science is not going to hinder you getting As at A level. Everyone has to work equally as hard because A levels are a step up whether you do double or triple science. As long as you perform well at GCSEs/A level/have some experience and interview well, then medicine definitely will not reject you on the basis of 'only' having done double science.
I want to choose triple science for my options at the school that I am currently at, however, they have put me in EBaaC which states that I am not able to do it. When I get older I want to be a pediatrician (children's doctor) but without the triple science will I get the job I have been forever dreaming of???????

PLZ REPLY ASAP AM GETTING WORRIED :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest