The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 History - Germany 1900-45 - Monday 8th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

I hope 1900-14 comes up!!
Original post by Kmohazeb

Could you please give a summary of what happened in those years please??
Reply 62
Original post by CD223
Oh really? I thought golden years at one point but my teacher said there wasn't much they could ask about in terms of scope of things to write about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I personally thought that Weimar would be quite broad a topic, but now that I've taken a look at it it does seem limited. But there's still the constitution, economic stability, political stability and perhaps even the foreign policy and culture?

It's hard to guess what's coming up and not, as last year for the topics I chose, (basically) the same questions came up as in the year before. /:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Original post by Bunny2014
What would be the kinds of things you'd write for the golden years question? xx

Well, depending on what it was asking about, I'd generally focus on different areas.

Politics: SPD refusing to join coalitions, parties not compromising, 1928 Muller government, pro-Weimar parties got bulk of vote, votes for extremist parties low

Economy: Funded by USA loans, high unemployment, industrial unrest, monetary stability, falling food prices

Foreign Policy: Stresemann's work - Dawes Plan, Locarno, League of Nations, Young Plan

Culture: Weimar Culture - expressionism, Neue Sachlichkiet, Traditional Values

Social: Legislature protecting children, women in more areas of employment

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64

What aspect of it? What question do you think you would come up on it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by Bunny2014
Could you please give a summary of what happened in those years please??

Quite a lot to summarise aha, which is why I'm hoping its a nazi question instead!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Original post by cuppa
I personally thought that Weimar would be quite broad a topic, but now that I've taken a look at it it does seem limited. But there's still the constitution, economic stability, political stability and perhaps even the foreign policy and culture?

It's hard to guess what's coming up and not, as last year for the topics I chose, (basically) the same questions came up as in the year before. /:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know what you mean! The board are so hard to pin down. I wouldn't like to hedge my bets aha. What controversy do you think you'll answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Original post by CD223
I know what you mean! The board are so hard to pin down. I wouldn't like to hedge my bets aha. What controversy do you think you'll answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, we are only learning the second controversy, so that's my answer. I don't particularly like war questions anyway, so I guess I would've preferred controversy B either way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Original post by cuppa
Well, we are only learning the second controversy, so that's my answer. I don't particularly like war questions anyway, so I guess I would've preferred controversy B either way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right! What is the second one again? Efficiency of the Nazi state or something?
We're only being taught the WW1 controversy :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Original post by CD223
Oh right! What is the second one again? Efficiency of the Nazi state or something?
We're only being taught the WW1 controversy :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

B is two merged together: popularity of the nazis and also their efficiency. It's one of those social topics, which makes it kind of hard to study for. In my opinion, anyway. Because you don't often have solid, hard facts about stuff. But I guess it wouldn't be a controversy otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
What aspect of it? What question do you think you would come up on it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

anything really, I personally think that the period in whole is easier to understand
Reply 71
Original post by cuppa
B is two merged together: popularity of the nazis and also their efficiency. It's one of those social topics, which makes it kind of hard to study for. In my opinion, anyway. Because you don't often have solid, hard facts about stuff. But I guess it wouldn't be a controversy otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right! That doesn't sound very straightforward to be honest!

How do you revise for history?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
anything really, I personally think that the period in whole is easier to understand

Ah that's fair enough. Seems ages ago that we were taught it all though! How do you revise?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Well, depending on what it was asking about, I'd generally focus on different areas.

Politics: SPD refusing to join coalitions, parties not compromising, 1928 Muller government, pro-Weimar parties got bulk of vote, votes for extremist parties low

Economy: Funded by USA loans, high unemployment, industrial unrest, monetary stability, falling food prices

Foreign Policy: Stresemann's work - Dawes Plan, Locarno, League of Nations, Young Plan

Thank you so much :biggrin: xxx
Reply 74
[QUOTE="Bunny2014;54308799"]
Original post by CD223

Thank you so much :biggrin: xxx

No worries! How do you plan on revising? Revision guides? Or?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Original post by CD223
Oh right! That doesn't sound very straightforward to be honest!

How do you revise for history?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not the best reviser for history, but I usually make notes for each topic to start with. Eg, yesterday I made a page each for economy and political parties in 2nd Reich. I did not use the main book we use in class, but rather handouts and other revision books. Write out stuff from one book and then add any other info from others. This is the remembering stage, I guess. Whatever makes you memorise stuff.

After that I move on to plan stuff, so I may make a mind map of the FORs and AGAINSTs of 2nd Reich being an entrenched autocracy. When you plan these sorts of questions, you of course add other factors too. So in this case I'd probably write a paragraph each on Germany being an autocracy, Germany being dominated by conservative elites and Germany being a democracy. Now, because I have these paragraphs and main info I need to put in them planned out, I will know what to write for three possible questions, if that makes sense. And then again, you just have to get memorising.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
Original post by cuppa
I'm not the best reviser for history, but I usually make notes for each topic to start with. Eg, yesterday I made a page each for economy and political parties in 2nd Reich. I did not use the main book we use in class, but rather handouts and other revision books. Write out stuff from one book and then add any other info from others. This is the remembering stage, I guess. Whatever makes you memorise stuff.

After that I move on to plan stuff, so I may make a mind map of the FORs and AGAINSTs of 2nd Reich being an entrenched autocracy. When you plan these sorts of questions, you of course add other factors too. So in this case I'd probably write a paragraph each on Germany being an autocracy, Germany being dominated by conservative elites and Germany being a democracy. Now, because I have these paragraphs and main info I need to put in them planned out, I will know what to write for three possible questions, if that makes sense. And then again, you just have to get memorising.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that sounds a great technique! Thanks for sharing. I tend to write my notes up on the computer, which does take longer but I don't know if it works or not because I think you probably remember something more by writing it than typing it aha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think WW1 controversy is easier to answer because you know the question will be about 'who was responsible for outbreak of war', whereas Nazi controversy could be about anything. Do you guys agree ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Original post by Nchomuzinda
I think WW1 controversy is easier to answer because you know the question will be about 'who was responsible for outbreak of war', whereas Nazi controversy could be about anything. Do you guys agree ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that is why my teacher is making us only answer the WW1 controversy. We're skipping the other one which apparently saves us around 5 weeks revision which I quite like.

How are you finding the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
when doing history, i use a timeline showing all of the important events. this helps to organise information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending