The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KumarS
I will be sitting the Physics A2 soon and have done the Chemistry A2 isa. I'm willing to trade 'tips' with anyone who has 'tips' on the Physics A2 isa.

Thanks.

If you bothered to read up, maybe you would get a good grade :smile:
That's my tip
Reply 521
Original post by Fredricklemar
Anyone down the capacitors ISA? How difficult is it compared the the SHM one ?

I can share difficulty levels on DM

What period of time do people have to do their ISAs in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
What period of time do people have to do their ISAs in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A month or so
Reply 523
Original post by Fredricklemar
A month or so

Oh right! That seems like a while. My EMPA is on Tuesday but my section B isn't until 5th May :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 524
Original post by CD223
Oh right! That seems like a while. My EMPA is on Tuesday but my section B isn't until 5th May :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are our section Bs supposed to be on the same day? For some reason I have 8th May written down as my date but I don't remember being told so it could have come from anywhere :P
Reply 525
Original post by Lau14
Are our section Bs supposed to be on the same day? For some reason I have 8th May written down as my date but I don't remember being told so it could have come from anywhere :P

Nah I think there's a two week period that the section Bs can be in. Some colleges do them before others, which is frankly ridiculous because it only raises the boundaries when one colleges cheats.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When people cheat, it devalues the qualification for everyone.

So those of you who are doing this with integrity and honesty through your own efforts, can thank EVERYONE who cheated or helped people cheat to ensure you get a lower grade and made it a whole lot harder to get a good grade.

If you see cheating on this site. Report it and the offenders will be dealt with.
Reply 527
Are there any formulae we have to remember off by heart that aren't on the formula sheet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 528
Original post by CD223
Are there any formulae we have to remember off by heart that aren't on the formula sheet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

not really sure I mean you could learn kelpers equation if you don't like deriving it.
Another useful one for circular motion is that v=(2 x pi x r)/t
Reply 529
Original post by _Caz_
not really sure I mean you could learn kelpers equation if you don't like deriving it.
Another useful one for circular motion is that v=(2 x pi x r)/t

Oh right! I should probably study the formulae sheet more then as I assumed the v=2pi*r/t was on it! Thank you!

What stage are you at in revision? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 530
Original post by CD223
Oh right! I should probably study the formulae sheet more then as I assumed the v=2pi*r/t was on it! Thank you!

What stage are you at in revision? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of reading still. Started doing closed book past papers so I know what knowledge I'm lacking in. Not worked on timing yet though. I have a bad hand so It's hard to do timed papers at the moment. How is revision for you?
Reply 531
Original post by uberteknik
When people cheat, it devalues the qualification for everyone.

So those of you who are doing this with integrity and honesty through your own efforts, can thank EVERYONE who cheated or helped people cheat to ensure you get a lower grade and made it a whole lot harder to get a good grade.

If you see cheating on this site. Report it and the offenders will be dealt with.

On this point, can people please stop sending messages asking for information on the EMPA/ISA, it is cheating.
Reply 532
Original post by _Caz_
A lot of reading still. Started doing closed book past papers so I know what knowledge I'm lacking in. Not worked on timing yet though. I have a bad hand so It's hard to do timed papers at the moment. How is revision for you?

That sounds like a good strategy. I need to look at closed book papers now 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 533
Does anyone know what the differences are between the levels of damping?

Light is a few oscillations before returning to equilibrium, heavy is even less and critical is not even one? My knowledge of SHM is pretty poor Aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 534
Original post by CD223

Light is a few oscillations before returning to equilibrium, heavy is even less and critical is not even one? My knowledge of SHM is pretty poor Aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's pretty much it. I think we are expected to know about 4 types and their effects.
Lightly damped systems have a very sharp resonance peak. They take a long time to stop oscillating so their amplitude doesn't decrease much each period. However the amplitude increases drastically when the driving freq. is close to the natural freq. An example would be the simple pendulum.
Heavily damped systems don't take as long to stop oscillating so the amplitude decreases much more compared to lightly damped.
Critical damping stops the system oscillating in the quickest time possible e.g. Car suspensions.
Overdamping takes longer than critical damping and an example would be heavy doors.

Hope that helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 535
Original post by saad97
Yeah that's pretty much it. I think we are expected to know about 4 types and their effects.
Lightly damped systems have a very sharp resonance peak. They take a long time to stop oscillating so their amplitude doesn't decrease much each period. However the amplitude increases drastically when the driving freq. is close to the natural freq. An example would be the simple pendulum.
Heavily damped systems don't take as long to stop oscillating so the amplitude decreases much more compared to lightly damped.
Critical damping stops the system oscillating in the quickest time possible e.g. Car suspensions.
Overdamping takes longer than critical damping and an example would be heavy doors.

Hope that helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that makes sense, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 536
Original post by CD223
Ah that makes sense, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 537
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

My notes from the CGP book.
Reply 538
Original post by JaySP
My notes from the CGP book.

Oh brilliant, thanks! May I say you have very neat handwriting aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
2 A ball is thrown vertically down towards the ground with an initial velocity of 4.23 m s–1. Theball falls for a time of 1.51 s before hitting the ground. Air resistance is negligible.
The ball makes contact with the ground for 12.5 ms and rebounds with an upwardsvelocity of 18.6 m s–1. The mass of the ball is 46.5 g.
(i) Calculate the average force acting on the ball on impact with the ground. magnitude of force = .................................................. N direction of force ......................................................[4]
(ii) Use conservation of energy to determine the maximum height the ball reachesafter it hits the ground. height = ............................................. m [2]

how to go abt this question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending