The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stu21
there is a definite chance of winning the premier league if we can forget about champions league and concentrate on the league keeping our league form going, as well as winning the FA cup. I'm saying this looking at the performances of Chelski and ManC which dont look like title winning teams currently.

Good one. :rolleyes:
Original post by AR_95
Here's a nice bit of information for you guys

Giroud is only three goals behind Costa, despite missing three months of the season.

Haters where you at

Posted from TSR Mobile

But Giroud is not a 'clutch player' :rolleyes: :lol:. He only scored a winning goal against the likes of Man City :rolleyes:.
Second place is yours for the taking.
Original post by leinad2012
Fortunately neither of us look like we're going to slip up.

Being completely honest, I can see it not even being close, United's run in is disgusting whilst we're both on form.

I don't think top 4 will go down the last game, I think we'll be going to OT second last game of the season needing a draw to stop United from getting 4th spot (i.e. them being 5 points adrift with 2 to go then drawing and being 4 behind with one to go)

no we don't, although let's not underestimate the unpredictability of the premier league.
i'm not confident in the slightest about the swansea game; shelvey always does something major.

i agree - i don't think the last game will decide it; i reckon the penultimate game will, as you said.
please beat them.

Original post by AR_95

Giroud is only three goals behind Costa, despite missing three months of the season.

Haters where you at

Posted from TSR Mobile

whenever i think that he isn't quite as good as people claim, he'll just score the odd 5 or 10 goals.... -_-
i've always thought you could do better than him, however if he can avoid injury and produce a nice consistent season or two, he'll certainly prove me wrong.
Does lewandowski want out at bayern? I heard rumours his agent has been saying he doesn't fit in there and wants a move to the epl. If that's the case wenger should do everything to get him to come here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Numan786
rumours, agent

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those two words should tell you all you need to know.
Original post by AR_95

Haters where you at

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whilst a nice stat, we all know that:

A) Costa is different class
B) Giroud isn't good enough to lead the line

Fair play to him though. He's a great second option and really complements others games (e.g Ramsey).
Reply 4347
Original post by Depleted
Whilst a nice stat, we all know that:

A) Costa is different class
B) Giroud isn't good enough to lead the line

Fair play to him though. He's a great second option and really complements others games (e.g Ramsey).

Costa is vastly overrated and Giroud is probably a bit underrated. Costa had a monster season at Atleti and a monster start to this year, kinda like Sturridge last year at Liverpool, and everybody just jumps on the bandwagon. Girouds overall record is still better than Costas.

We'll see next season if Costa [and sturridge] are all that. Sturridge especially is a bit younger so we'll see.

I backed Costa to fail before he moved [thought cavani was a better option], and even I got won over. But lately he's looked like the player of 3 years ago as opposed to the Costa of last season.
Original post by samba
Costa is vastly overrated and Giroud is probably a bit underrated. Costa had a monster season at Atleti and a monster start to this year, kinda like Sturridge last year at Liverpool, and everybody just jumps on the bandwagon. Girouds overall record is still better than Costas.

We'll see next season if Costa [and sturridge] are all that. Sturridge especially is a bit younger so we'll see.

I backed Costa to fail before he moved [thought cavani was a better option], and even I got won over. But lately he's looked like the player of 3 years ago as opposed to the Costa of last season.

Lol at Costa being overrated and Giroud having an overall better record which is clearly false. Also I'm not even gonna comment on the stupidity of Sturridge being a one season wonder.

Well no he hasn't, simply struggled due to a different tactical set up from Jose which has recently had him running channels, creating space etc. as opposed to a more direct style of play earlier in the season where he stayed central and around the box.

Costa has 17 goals and a lot of those have either been winners or opening goals, so no stat padding at all. Make no mistake, Costa has won Chelsea the title so to call him overrated is simply wrong and incredibly naive and stupid.
Reply 4349
Original post by Depleted
Lol at Costa being overrated and Giroud having an overall better record which is clearly false. Also I'm not even gonna comment on the stupidity of Sturridge being a one season wonder.

Well no he hasn't, simply struggled due to a different tactical set up from Jose which has recently had him running channels, creating space etc. as opposed to a more direct style of play earlier in the season where he stayed central and around the box.

Costa has 17 goals and a lot of those have either been winners or opening goals, so no stat padding at all. Make no mistake, Costa has won Chelsea the title so to call him overrated is simply wrong and incredibly naive and stupid.

Costa: 305 played, 120 goals. = 0.39
Giroud: 332 played, 144 goals = 0.43

If you remove Costa's last season at Atleti and his first 6 months here, he has: played 245, 67 goals = 0.27

Better overall record = Giroud.

Costa [at chelsea] needs space behind defences, and it's pretty easy to deny him that. It's not because 'jose has a different tactical setup' because he doesn't. It's bacause fabregas isn't creating and he's a pretty 1 dimensional player who can't play a technical game and needs to be doing something.

This time next year, we can have the convo again. Guarantee you he's overrated.

btw, next time you try the unwarranted ad hom crap, I'll eviscerate you. You're capable of having a conversation/debate without doing it, so try to do so.
If Chelsea don't defend their premier league title next season they'll be "counting the Costa failure"
Have to say, Monreal charging down the left flank is a beautiful sight to behold. So much desire from the guy.
Reply 4352
Original post by Gob Bluth
I would just ignore list him. All he cares about is getting attention (he obviously doesn't get any irl), whether that PM was said in jest or not is irrelevant, and is pretty pathetic.

Arsenal for 2nd now. Benitez/Ancelotti would be excellent appointments for City now you'd think, because Pellegrini's time is up.

Haha yea, I told him not to act like a 4 year old and his response was to act like a 3 year old :lol:

cba to ignore people though, it just makes him look retarded not moi.

Agree btw on Arsenal for 2nd. And that Pellegrinis time is up. Would love to see Benitez back in the PL too!
Original post by Gob Bluth
Arsenal for 2nd now. Benitez/Ancelotti would be excellent appointments for City now you'd think, because Pellegrini's time is up.

I reckon they'll try and get Diego Simeone from Real.

Benitez will get them performing in Europe but i'm not convinced he's the man to lead them to back to back titles.
Original post by AR_95

Haters where you at

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've never seen opposition fans slate Giroud though? It's only Arsenal supporters moaning about how **** he is
Original post by sr90
I've never seen opposition fans slate Giroud though? It's only Arsenal supporters moaning about how **** he is

Well I put it in the Arsenal thread not the Chelsea thread..
Pretty sure Giroud has one of the highest goal scoring rates this season!

Also you said Costa has scored many match winners/important goals but so has Giroud. So many of his goals were far from just "tap ins" and not all of them were just being in the right place at the right time. Guy has created his own chances and scored some great goals too. Costa has an advantage with his pace so is more likely to score more goals but Giroud's integration into our team is vital.

To say he's not good enough to lead our line is a false statement however. Striker is not the one position of attack. If we want to score more goals we need better wingers too (only natural wingers we have in the club are Sanchez and Walcott, one is a one sided player and the other is inefficient). I would advise buying a better striker but not to replace Giroud, instead to play with him up front. Have sort of like a two striker system but Giroud drops back anyway and is important to our passing so can't really go wrong!

It's a shame he's hit his peak at such a late age though. Hopefully his decline doesn't come too soon as I'd like to see more of this Giroud.
As for you thinking he's not good enough, how many of Giroud's goals have you seen this season?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
Pretty sure Giroud has one of the highest goal scoring rates this season!

Also you said Costa has scored many match winners/important goals but so has Giroud. So many of his goals were far from just "tap ins" and not all of them were just being in the right place at the right time. Guy has created his own chances and scored some great goals too. Costa has an advantage with his pace so is more likely to score more goals but Giroud's integration into our team is vital.

Costa's integration to our team is vital too. His pace up top and his link up play with Hazard, Oscar and Fabregas is crucial.

He's not been scoring as much because he's playing left wing majority of the time to just play out of defences rather than stay in the box where he's at his best. He'll score today though. Costa's not been great in big games this calendar year either coming to think of it. He scored vs Liverpool, Arsenal and that's really it. Reckon it's the link up between him and Fabregas going dead second half due to Fabregas' decline in performance.
To say he's not good enough to lead our line is a false statement however. Striker is not the one position of attack. If we want to score more goals we need better wingers too (only natural wingers we have in the club are Sanchez and Walcott, one is a one sided player and the other is inefficient). I would advise buying a better striker but not to replace Giroud, instead to play with him up front. Have sort of like a two striker system but Giroud drops back anyway and is important to our passing so can't really go wrong!

He's good enough for now, but you probably need a more mobile striker since you don't really have the best wingers(bar for Sanchez who's faded since January)

It's a shame he's hit his peak at such a late age though. Hopefully his decline doesn't come too soon as I'd like to see more of this Giroud.
As for you thinking he's not good enough, how many of Giroud's goals have you seen this season?

He's been scoring good goals tbf, guys goal rate is good so you can't really blame much from him. Guy relies on movement and link up play.
Original post by samba

Costa been getting 20 goal seasons for the past 2 years and is on track to get another this year. Despite being a bitch man for Falcao in 12/13. His record at Rayo Vallecano was very good too so it's not coincidence.

Sturridge we'll see but you can't really judge him on the basis of this season when he's been out for half of it. Giroud e.g. was out for 3 months but Sturridge has been out for 5. He's in a better setup than the start of the season.

Cavani ain't the better option, way too overpriced and misses too many sitters, good player otherwise he's all I'd want in a striker.
Reply 4359
Original post by sr90
I reckon they'll try and get Diego Simeone from Real.

Benitez will get them performing in Europe but i'm not convinced he's the man to lead them to back to back titles.

You mean Atletico.
Benitez could be good for City because he knows how to beat top teams in the CL and City need that vital CL experience.

Latest