The Student Room Group

Aston or Newcastle - Help Me Decide!

The time to send in my final decision with my firm choice is getting closer and I have trouble deciding between Aston and Newcastle University. I am planning on doing Business and Management course but I cannot decide between the two univerities so I decided to ask you guys for your personal opinion and I would be very grateful if you could help me make up my mind.

Here is how I see the Pros and Cons of both Aston and Newcastle:

ASTON:

Great business school with good reputation

Great placement year

Big, interesting city (this one can seem rather scary as well)

Birmingham is more expensive than Newcastle

The building of the university itself may seem rather depressing

NEWCASTLE:

Russel Group university

Also good Business and Management course but I have doubts if its reputation is better than the Aston one

Also offers placement year but I am not to sure if it is paid

Newcastle looks so welcoming and charming but also offers a lot of culture and nightlife

The city itself is rather isolated

Newcastle is cheaper (in terms of accomodation and such)

These are some of my thoughts and I would be sincerely grateful if you could share your opinion. I want to go to a university that has good reputation and graduate prospectus and would also give me a solid fondation for my career.
Thanks in advance for your help!
I'd suggest Aston allllll the way :wink:
Because it is a great business school, like you said, and Birmingham is a great city (although you find it scary? why is that :smile: ?)
Reply 2
Original post by bart96
The time to send in my final decision with my firm choice is getting closer and I have trouble deciding between Aston and Newcastle University. I am planning on doing Business and Management course but I cannot decide between the two univerities so I decided to ask you guys for your personal opinion and I would be very grateful if you could help me make up my mind.

Here is how I see the Pros and Cons of both Aston and Newcastle:

ASTON:

Great business school with good reputation

Great placement year

Big, interesting city (this one can seem rather scary as well)

Birmingham is more expensive than Newcastle

The building of the university itself may seem rather depressing

NEWCASTLE:

Russel Group university

Also good Business and Management course but I have doubts if its reputation is better than the Aston one

Also offers placement year but I am not to sure if it is paid

Newcastle looks so welcoming and charming but also offers a lot of culture and nightlife

The city itself is rather isolated

Newcastle is cheaper (in terms of accomodation and such)

These are some of my thoughts and I would be sincerely grateful if you could share your opinion. I want to go to a university that has good reputation and graduate prospectus and would also give me a solid fondation for my career.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Even though Newcastle is a Russell group I think that Aston is better. I understand your issue of the building being depressing in Aston because I was also looking at it online because I've applied for business management this year aswell. Have you been to visit them? If so which did you like better? In terms of league tables they are pretty close to each other so you can't really use that to determine your decision. Is nightlife important to you? From what you've written it suggests that you prefer Aston uni in terms of reputation but prefer Newcastle in terms of the city and the accommodation being cheaper? Do you believe that you can meet the entry requirements of both? It's something that you have to decide yourself but try asking yourself these questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by r-t
Even though Newcastle is a Russell group I think that Aston is better. I understand your issue of the building being depressing in Aston because I was also looking at it online because I've applied for business management this year aswell. Have you been to visit them? If so which did you like better? In terms of league tables they are pretty close to each other so you can't really use that to determine your decision. Is nightlife important to you? From what you've written it suggests that you prefer Aston uni in terms of reputation but prefer Newcastle in terms of the city and the accommodation being cheaper? Do you believe that you can meet the entry requirements of both? It's something that you have to decide yourself but try asking yourself these questions.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I do believe that I can meet the entry requirement for both and nightlife isn't really that important to me. My problem is whether the future employers would prefer a Aston uni graduate or Newcastle uni graduate. What is more, the living-cost are quite important to me because I do not want to cause too much trouble to my parents. However, choosing the better option between Aston and Newcastle is what matters the most.
Reply 4
Original post by bart96
I do believe that I can meet the entry requirement for both and nightlife isn't really that important to me. My problem is whether the future employers would prefer a Aston uni graduate or Newcastle uni graduate. What is more, the living-cost are quite important to me because I do not want to cause too much trouble to my parents. However, choosing the better option between Aston and Newcastle is what matters the most.

If choosing the better option between Aston and Newcastle matters the most then you should chosen Aston despite the accommodation being more expensive and being more trouble for your parents but wouldn't you get a maintenance loan to ease off the pressure?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest