The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Undergrad LSE from India?

Hey everyone, so this is Krittika from India. I have currently just started my twelfth at school, which means I'll be applying end of this year.
I study under the CISCE board, which means I'll be giving my ISC in early 2016.
I plan on applying to LSE, King's, UCL and some others, but my first aim is LSE (doesn't hurt to dream and work hard for it!)
I just wanted to start a thread here for similar Indian students, both prospective applicants and for people already in studying there.
I especially would love some help for people from India who have gotten into the colleges I mentioned. If anyone can, can they please tell me what the conditional offers were like? What marks were expected from you?
Would also love some advice on the personal statement.
Hi Krittika! :biggrin:
I'm an NRI living in Dubai, but I've also applied to LSE. I wrote the LSE UGAA on the 3rd, and my CBSE board exams are going on. I think it's pretty late to apply now though, wasn't the deadline on the 15th of Jan?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by ChaoticZen
I'm an NRI living in Dubai, but I've also applied to LSE. I wrote the LSE UGAA on the 3rd, and my CBSE board exams are going on. I think it's pretty late to apply now though, wasn't the deadline on the 15th of Jan?

I think you've missed the part where I said I'm going to apply in 2016..as in I'm giving my board examinations in 2016, I just got into class XII now :smile:
Original post by KrittikaIndia
I think you've missed the part where I said I'm going to apply in 2016..as in I'm giving my board examinations in 2016, I just got into class XII now :smile:

Ooohhh, sorry... I don't know how I completely missed that. :colondollar:

What subjects are you currently studying? More importantly, what do you plan on studying in LSE?
Ooohhh, sorry... I don't know how I completely missed that. :colondollar:

What subjects are you currently studying? More importantly, what do you plan on studying in LSE?

Haha happens :tongue:
Well I have English, History, Political Science, Economics and Math, along with Bengali, my second language.
I'm aiming for Economics or Economics with Economic History at LSE.
Original post by KrittikaIndia
Haha happens :tongue:
Well I have English, History, Political Science, Economics and Math, along with Bengali, my second language.
I'm aiming for Economics or Economics with Economic History at LSE.

Then I'd guess you're pretty well suited to study there. :tongue:
But since you're doing ISC, if your application is reasonably strong, you might have to write the UGAA because apparently it's a "non-traditional" educational background.
And the math section of the UGAA is pretty weird, shall I say. Especially considering that you'd have to write the advanced math section, because you're planning on studying economics. I've applied for Law, so I didn't have to write the advanced section. But going through past papers I thought I'd have a bit of a go at it.

The topics for the essay section tend to be really cool though. :biggrin:
Reply 6

Hey! I wrote the UGAA as well! Have you heard back yet?
Original post by aarohik
Hey! I wrote the UGAA as well! Have you heard back yet?

Nope, I haven't yet. :frown: Have you heard yet?
What course have you applied for?
Reply 8
Nope, I haven't yet. :frown: Have you heard yet?
What course have you applied for?

Neither have I! :frown: I applied for Maths with Economics. What did you apply for ?
Original post by aarohik
Neither have I! :frown: I applied for Maths with Economics. What did you apply for ?

Oooh, interesting.. I actually considered taking economics for a while. But in the end I applied for Law. :smile:
Reply 10
Then I'd guess you're pretty well suited to study there. :tongue:
But since you're doing ISC, if your application is reasonably strong, you might have to write the UGAA because apparently it's a "non-traditional" educational background.
And the math section of the UGAA is pretty weird, shall I say. Especially considering that you'd have to write the advanced math section, because you're planning on studying economics. I've applied for Law, so I didn't have to write the advanced section. But going through past papers I thought I'd have a bit of a go at it.

The topics for the essay section tend to be really cool though. :biggrin:

Hey!
I am a 12th Grade CBSE student, I want to apply to LSE for Economics as well.
Do I need to write the UGAA as well?
How do I study for it?
I am also writing my boards in Mar 2016 :smile:

and did you get in? :smile:
Hey Aarv!

Am an NRI studying under the CBSE board in Muscat, Oman. Applying to LSE for economics in 2016 as
well. Looks like I've got some stiff competition :smile:
Are you done with your personal statement?
Reply 12
Original post by arpitharun
Hey Aarv!

Am an NRI studying under the CBSE board in Muscat, Oman. Applying to LSE for economics in 2016 as
well. Looks like I've got some stiff competition :smile:
Are you done with your personal statement?

Hey Arpitha :smile:
Good to hear from someone who understands the troubles of being a CBSE student, specially from someone outside India :wink: I actually haven't researched enough about whether spending so much money and going to UK is worth it, with the bleak employment opportunities for us 'foreigners' there! Currently just the thought of being in LSE excites me hahaha. But I'm sure you'll have a lot of competition from many other Indian students, not that I would be a stiff competitor anyway :P Good luck!
Original post by aarv
Hey!
I am a 12th Grade CBSE student, I want to apply to LSE for Economics as well.
Do I need to write the UGAA as well?
How do I study for it?
I am also writing my boards in Mar 2016 :smile:

and did you get in? :smile:

I think most, if not all, CBSE students need to write the UGAA. You don't need to study much for it, though. A brush up on calculus would certainly help a lot. You're also allowed to carry a scientific calculator in the exam hall, so that makes things easier. What I'd focus on most is time management, as the paper tends to be a bit lengthy and you need to devote appropriate amounts of time for each section.

And yes. I'm quite happy to say that they gave an offer and I met it. :biggrin:
Reply 14
Hey!
I am a 12th grade student in CBSE, and I want to apply to LSE for economics, too.
I will also write my board exams in March 2016.
Do I have to write the UGAA as well?
You mentioned about ISC in the reply, so I asked.
I checked the math section, it was pretty weird. If I do have to write, how do I go about preparing for it?
Thank you!
I think most, if not all, CBSE students need to write the UGAA. You don't need to study much for it, though. A brush up on calculus would certainly help a lot. You're also allowed to carry a scientific calculator in the exam hall, so that makes things easier. What I'd focus on most is time management, as the paper tends to be a bit lengthy and you need to devote appropriate amounts of time for each section.

And yes. I'm quite happy to say that they gave an offer and I met it. :biggrin:

Hey what were your offer conditions?
Hey what was your offer?
Hi, I want to know the centres in new delhi or gurgaon for taking the UGAA. Its a bit urgent if someone could reply...I am unable to find a centre which will invigilate UGAA. Thanks
Reply 18
What scores do you submit for your application?
hi i am having troubles if i should apply or not to lse . how difficult is the paper and how much should i study for it ??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending