The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4360
Original post by AR_95
Pretty sure Giroud has one of the highest goal scoring rates this season!

Also you said Costa has scored many match winners/important goals but so has Giroud. So many of his goals were far from just "tap ins" and not all of them were just being in the right place at the right time. Guy has created his own chances and scored some great goals too. Costa has an advantage with his pace so is more likely to score more goals but Giroud's integration into our team is vital.

To say he's not good enough to lead our line is a false statement however. Striker is not the one position of attack. If we want to score more goals we need better wingers too (only natural wingers we have in the club are Sanchez and Walcott, one is a one sided player and the other is inefficient). I would advise buying a better striker but not to replace Giroud, instead to play with him up front. Have sort of like a two striker system but Giroud drops back anyway and is important to our passing so can't really go wrong!

It's a shame he's hit his peak at such a late age though. Hopefully his decline doesn't come too soon as I'd like to see more of this Giroud.
As for you thinking he's not good enough, how many of Giroud's goals have you seen this season?

I don't think we would do as well with 2 strikers. Arsenal play their best with as many creative midfielders waltzing around the penalty box.Unless the striker is Suarez or someone with great vision, we tend to do better with more midfielders so we don't get overrun on counter attacks. Giroud is made to be a lone striker- he is very physical, has good hold up play and can create chances for himself.
Reply 4361
Original post by stu21
there is a definite chance of winning the premier league if we can forget about champions league and concentrate on the league keeping our league form going, as well as winning the FA cup. I'm saying this looking at the performances of Chelski and ManC which dont look like title winning teams currently.

we won't win the title. Chelski have 2 games in hand. I'd rather try to reach the semis of the CL, win FA cup and finish 2nd or 3rd.
All the English teams don't look like they can even touch the European giants. Barca and Bayern will run circles around the top teams.
Just wait for Barca vs Man City. It will be a joke.
Reply 4362
Original post by Mackay
Theo did nothing to boost his chances of a start, apparently.

if Ox was fit he would start 100%. He destroyed Man Utd at OT and looks more like creating better chances. Theo missed 2 easy chances and didn't look comfortable.
Giroud was superb yesterday, I'm starting to see what shev was on about with him and Ramsey making each other look good. Both played excellent for most if the game.

Tbh the only thing I'd change foronaco is Bellerin for Chambers, maybe Gabriel in for Meet if fit and possibly Santi for Walcott (only issue is Ozil I'd better in central, people slating him yesterday but his link up play was at its normal high standard.

Really pleased for Giroud after all the **** he got after Monaco, his response has been nothing short of superb. All we need is for him to get a couple on Tuesday to help push us through and people will be rating him higher than Kane
Reply 4364
Original post by Numan786
Does lewandowski want out at bayern? I heard rumours his agent has been saying he doesn't fit in there and wants a move to the epl. If that's the case wenger should do everything to get him to come here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lewandowski wants out. He only starts like half the games and a lot of the time he doesn't get the ball as much as other players. Bayern don't use him properly.
We should go for him in the summer. He is a perfect player for us- we need a solid no9.
Original post by ETRC
lewandowski wants out. He only starts like half the games and a lot of the time he doesn't get the ball as much as other players. Bayern don't use him properly.
We should go for him in the summer. He is a perfect player for us- we need a solid no9.

I'd love this to happen, Lewy&Szczesny are BFFs, too. :P
Reply 4366
Original post by Viridiana
I'd love this to happen, Lewy&Szczesny are BFFs, too. :P

We will have the best attack in the Prem if we get Lewy. We have the best or second best now (depending on how Chelsea play today).
But we really need a good CB to replace Mert. Koscielny needs a break of doing the job of 2 defenders every game.
Reply 4367
Original post by fallen_acorns
I agree, on a form basis they are terrible, and should not be safe at all...

But - their fixtures fixtures, top6 clashes and overal home/away:

City: United (A) Spurs (A) [5h 4a] (1 CL game)
Arsenal: United (A) Liverpool (H) Chelsea (H) [5h 4a] (1 CL + 2 potential FA cup games)
United: Spurs (H) Liverpool (A) City (H) Chelsea (A) Arsenal (H) [5h 5a]
Liverpool: United (H) Arsenal (A) Chelsea (A) [4h 5a] (+ 3 potential FA cup games)

So.. its pretty clear that city have considerably the easiest set of fixtures.. with no other distractions after they get dumped out of the CL this weekend

For us to take 2nd, we would need to win all our lower league games.. as I fully expect us to do, and take something from united/chelsea in those two big games.

--

I dont know.. Ive watched this whole game against burnley, and they look so bad.. but their fixtures are so easy..

Really not sure where they will end up

City have a bad squad. They do nothing unless Silva and Aguero have excellent games. If those 2 can't do anything, City are out of ideas.
Original post by ETRC

Mate if lewondowski came here I worry about szs, he LOVES lewondowski. Like idolise him.

It wouldn't just be smoking that szs would be doing in the showers...
Reply 4369
Original post by leinad2012
Mate if lewondowski came here I worry about szs, he LOVES lewondowski. Like idolise him.

It wouldn't just be smoking that szs would be doing in the showers...

hahahaha wtf
Szc would need to be contaminated in a cell, handcrafted by Wenger, every time Lewa is having a shower or is free.
Wenger will put an ankle bracelet on Szc so every time he is 10m close to Lew he would get an electric shock. That should do it.
You still require depth in that position, but Coquelin is increasingly making Schneiderlin look an unnecessary target.
It seems there's more pressing issues than striker tbh, if we could get Lewandowski or Lacazette for <£25-30mil I'd say take it, but if it means we don't sign a Cb I'm worried.

I personally see Gabriel as more of a backup for Kosc rather than a starter, we have to sign a strong cb (not necessarily a big name cb) this summer so we have 4 reliable CB's.

Keeper needs upgrading too tbh and we defo need a top cdm to help push coq and help him improve.

Funds wise we're starting to accumulate a lot of deadwood.

Arteta, Flam, Campbell, Podolski, Sanogo, could all go in the summer and I wouldn't give a **** about it tbh so long as we signed a 1 St and 1 cdm to replace the 5 of them
Reply 4372
Original post by jam277
Costa been getting 20 goal seasons for the past 2 years and is on track to get another this year. Despite being a bitch man for Falcao in 12/13. His record at Rayo Vallecano was very good too so it's not coincidence.

Sturridge we'll see but you can't really judge him on the basis of this season when he's been out for half of it. Giroud e.g. was out for 3 months but Sturridge has been out for 5. He's in a better setup than the start of the season.

Cavani ain't the better option, way too overpriced and misses too many sitters, good player otherwise he's all I'd want in a striker.

Yea I'm not saying he's a bad player, he's far from that. I don't think he's a prime Raul/Vieri/Falcao though, which some people seem to claim he is.

He struggles to adapt to certain types of games/teams now that players now what he's all about. He's better than Giroud, but not vastly imo. Different players, but of fairly similar quality.

Actually think Sturridge can make it to the next level if he stays injury free and Rodgers can develop him properly. He still has some serious issues, but he's got a lot of qualities too.

Cavani is a strange one. The last few seasons he's regressed a lot. At Napoli he was pretty lethal.
Original post by ETRC
hahahaha wtf
Szc would need to be contaminated in a cell, handcrafted by Wenger, every time Lewa is having a shower or is free.
Wenger will put an ankle bracelet on Szc so every time he is 10m close to Lew he would get an electric shock. That should do it.

Hahaha Szc is so weird when it comes to Lewa, like they play together in the national team and are bff's but szc just loves the guy.

Tbh I could see a transfer happening, there's a lot of central European/ German speaking players in our squad I don't think there'd be an issue with him settling in
Original post by leinad2012
we defo need a top cdm to help push coq and help him improve.

Ideally, you could do with a CDM in the latter stages of his career for Coquelin to learn from. I think Coquelin has potential for sure. World class potential? We'll see.
Original post by Mackay
Ideally, you could do with a CDM in the latter stages of his career for Coquelin to learn from. I think Coquelin has potential for sure. World class potential? We'll see.

Coquelin is the new Makalele
Original post by Mackay

Completely agree, age wise Flam is probably worth staying on as a mentor for Coq but we need an ageing cdm who is still very good who can help coq improve. Khedira maybe? Meets the ageing criteria and would be cheap, but isn't an out and out cdm, although him and Flam mentoring coq could help him become a world class cdm imo
It will be a successful season if the FaCup is retained, 2nd place and beating mourinho at home.
Original post by ETRC
We will have the best attack in the Prem if we get Lewy. We have the best or second best now (depending on how Chelsea play today).
But we really need a good CB to replace Mert. Koscielny needs a break of doing the job of 2 defenders every game.

Yeah, it seems to me that all our creative mids would really flourish if they had a top striker capable of tapping in all those chances we create.
Original post by AR_95

To say he's not good enough to lead our line is a false statement however. Striker is not the one position of attack. If we want to score more goals we need better wingers too (only natural wingers we have in the club are Sanchez and Walcott, one is a one sided player and the other is inefficient). I would advise buying a better striker but not to replace Giroud, instead to play with him up front. Have sort of like a two striker system but Giroud drops back anyway and is important to our passing so can't really go wrong!

It's a shame he's hit his peak at such a late age though. Hopefully his decline doesn't come too soon as I'd like to see more of this Giroud.
As for you thinking he's not good enough, how many of Giroud's goals have you seen this season?

To play two up front would be suicidal with the current midfield. Assuming you would get a proper CDM in would negate that to an extent, but it would also leave Özil/Rosicky etc. in the lurch (unless played on the wing which isn't their best position). It's clear that Arsene see their future in big games as sitting deep and countering, so it would be advisable to buy a more efficient pacy striker, Lacazette essentially. Giroud is a good option against smaller teams who'll drop deep and limit the space, and I said above that he brings other players into play well like Ramsey.

It boils down to ambition though tbh. Guarantee that you won't ever win the title with Giroud leading the line as you already know. It's daft to compare him to Diego either way. Don't get the last part which comes across as quote defensive and is a common theme in your posts to others who support different clubs. Could play the same card with Falcao then who's scored the winner against Everton and in draws vs Villa and Stoke as well in another win (can't remember who) but the goal was inconsequential. So he's gained us 4 points, possibly more with his assists so his contribution potentially could make his transfer fee well worth it if we get top 4.