The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AR_95
not welcome

reported for racism
Great set of documentaries with the great man himself, I can watch him speak all day:

One for FC Bayern.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Nope, unless they told us to for p.e then it would just be girls v girls never with the boys.

We had a 'mixed' group as well which was basically the group for those who didn't care about PE. It would have the overweight kids, the smokers, the girls who didn't want to mess up their hair, the intelligent people who'd rather be doing Maths etc.
Original post by sr90
We had a 'mixed' group as well which was basically the group for those who didn't care about PE. It would have the overweight kids, the smokers, the girls who didn't want to mess up their hair, the intelligent people who'd rather be doing Maths etc.

Then you had the group that was way to over enthusiastic/competitive and way to over emotional when they lose and you're just like "Jeez chill man, this isn't the olympics" :erm:
Then you had the group that was way to over enthusiastic/competitive and way to over emotional when they lose and you're just like "Jeez chill man, this isn't the olympics" :erm:

I never used to take losing well when I was a bairn :lol: Remember crying when I didn't win my 100m race in Year 7 Sports Day.
Original post by All Day
10 or 11 is the most I can manage

10 or 11 :biggrin:

How can you be young, have so much interest and knowledge in a sport yet barely be able to play it?

I can do more than 10 or 11 while drunk. I can do more than that with a golf ball or an orange ffs :biggrin:

Haha, that's how me and my friends were when it came to PE! :tongue:
I still dislike losing whenever playing any sort of games, I sometimes accidentally end up a little aggressive at times too...
shots fired by Wilf
Original post by sr90
I never used to take losing well when I was a bairn :lol: Remember crying when I didn't win my 100m race in Year 7 Sports Day.

Tbf I didn't either :ninja: I was so competitive but did it in a sly way lmao. Yeah secondary school times still had its good parts looking back :tongue:

Original post by The.Joker
Haha, that's how me and my friends were when it came to PE! :tongue:
I still dislike losing whenever playing any sort of games, I sometimes accidentally end up a little aggressive at times too...

Wow I wish there were girls like you and your friends during my pe lessons! All the ones that I knew cared about nothing but the boys as per usual :rolleyes:
Original post by difeo
shots fired by Wilf

I'm not firing shots I just think it's mental how you can have such a big interest in a sport from a young age yet be completely useless at playing it?

There was a quiz show on ITV when I was a child and they basically set a challenge for the contestants which they filmed over a week and got them to try and master something, and if they won, they got the prize, which was usually a car, holiday, latest electronic equipment etc, all rolled into one. Some of the challenges were like having to memorise stuff, like a thousand words in a sequence.

There was a middle aged mother on one week who had to do ten kick ups and even she managed it.
Wow I wish there were girls like you and your friends during my pe lessons! All the ones that I knew cared about nothing but the boys as per usual :rolleyes:

I was lucky quite a lot of the girls in my PE class actually participated when we played basketball/football etc. Although we did have a bunch of girls who just cowered in the corner waiting for the lesson to finish.

I remember when all the girls were told we'd be doing dance during PE whilst the boys played football instead. I was absolutely furious, I ended up bunking PE during that term. :mad:
Not to mention the lads who would go to extreme lengths to impress the girls.
Original post by Wilfred Little
I'm not firing shots I just think it's mental how you can have such a big interest in a sport from a young age yet be completely useless at playing it?

There was a quiz show on ITV when I was a child and they basically set a challenge for the contestants which they filmed over a week and got them to try and master something, and if they won, they got the prize, which was usually a car, holiday, latest electronic equipment etc, all rolled into one. Some of the challenges were like having to memorise stuff, like a thousand words in a sequence.

There was a middle aged mother on one week who had to do ten kick ups and even she managed it.

Yeah I get where you're coming from but I'm not sure how representative kick ups are of ability. The thing that will improve your kick ups the most isn't playing football a lot, it's... doing kick ups. Then there's the professional freestylers who can do thousands but couldn't get into a league 2 team.

I've known decent players, mostly defenders, who were awful at them.
Original post by difeo
Yeah I get where you're coming from but I'm not sure how representative kick ups are of ability. The thing that will improve your kick ups the most isn't playing football a lot, it's... doing kick ups. Then there's the professional freestylers who can do thousands but couldn't get into a league 2 team.

I've known decent players, mostly defenders, who were awful at them.

I bet they were big units too.

Obviously they are not the be all and end all, but if you have good ball control you're going to hold your own on a pitch at a young age.

Kick ups don't make you the next Xavi or Iniesta but it's a good sign you can play football.

You mention professional freestylers, but that Jeremy Lynch chap was on the books at Arsenal. There is some correlation. If All Day is who I think he is, he's been into football for over a decade. I don't get how you can grow up with an interest in football yet barely manage to do kick ups. Not even taking the piss, it's just odd.
I can do a moderate amount of kick ups, it's fairly inconsequential. What position do you play Wilf.
It doesn't help that my neighbour has an uncanny resemblance to Giroud. :flutter:
Original post by The.Joker
I was lucky quite a lot of the girls in my PE class actually participated when we played basketball/football etc. Although we did have a bunch of girls who just cowered in the corner waiting for the lesson to finish.

I remember when all the girls were told we'd be doing dance during PE whilst the boys played football instead. I was absolutely furious, I ended up bunking PE during that term. :mad:

You get me?!!? It made me furious. And the worst part was...it wasn't even proper dancing ffs. It was 'contemporary dancing' where we had to 'sway like the trees in a summer breeze' bruh.

Yeah PE was pretty non existent in the last few months of year 11. Allow having to do circuits and contemporary dance whilst the lads did proper sport.
Original post by Depleted
I can do a moderate amount of kick ups, it's fairly inconsequential. What position do you play Wilf.

I'm left footed so got stuck on the left wing or left back as a youth player. My best position was as a striker though.

These days I play left back.
I bet they were big units too.

Obviously they are not the be all and end all, but if you have good ball control you're going to hold your own on a pitch at a young age.

Kick ups don't make you the next Xavi or Iniesta but it's a good sign you can play football.

You mention professional freestylers, but that Jeremy Lynch chap was on the books at Arsenal. There is some correlation. If All Day is who I think he is, he's been into football for over a decade. I don't get how you can grow up with an interest in football yet barely manage to do kick ups. Not even taking the piss, it's just odd.

:biggrin: the main two I was thinking of were yeah.

It's a fair point, there's a correlation to an extent.

Vaguely remember my record being about 60-70 back in like year 7 when we used to compete to get the most. Not particularly impressive but if I was to try now I'd get a fair few less :tongue:
I'm left footed so got stuck on the left wing or left back as a youth player. My best position was as a striker though.

These days I play left back.

Nice. Probably got a good engine on you then. I'm left footed too, play at 10 though.

Latest