The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2920
Original post by izzydizzyyy
Yeah we get told our marks as we go! Obviously they have potential to change with an outside invigilat

That sounds good. We've been on this assignment treadmill for months without any grades. None of our tutors will give them until they've been externally moderated - we asked for provisional grades but nothing. Last moderation was in November, so we don't know if there's anything to impove on and only two assignments due after the moderation date.
Original post by JordanC55
No I get you completely, but if you can't interview on a bad day how are you going to survive a placement on a bad day?

at my interview I had been up since 3am cause of family shiz happening, I still made it there and despite being exhausted by the time the actual interviews took place I gave it my absolute all and refused to walk out of there without feeling like I'd bagged an offer.

everyone has a bad day, week, or month; people also get nervous and feel ill, but if you allow that to hamper something as important as a uni interview then how are you going to handle placements, deadlines or commuting etc.

while I do think a lot can be taken from your personal statement I don't think I like the idea of being defined by a piece of work that isn't even a page long and is constricted by character count.

Hmm but lets not forget that people are essentially human and just because they may get a bit nervous at interview doesn't mean they will make bad SLTs. Perhaps these occasionally nervous people will better empathise with the people they are helping. Just a thought.

I also gave my absolute all at interview - I hope my nervousness didn't hamper my chances :frown:
[QUOTE=Baarbs;5431607

I also gave my absolute all at interview - I hope my nervousness didn't hamper my chances :frown:

Good luck Baarbs, hope we both did great! I'm just deseparate to know, even if it's bad news, this suspense I feel is worse than the interview!
Original post by Ree Marie
Good luck Baarbs, hope we both did great! I'm just deseparate to know, even if it's bad news, this suspense I feel is worse than the interview!

Good luck to you too! I am not too hopeful for myself - odds greatly stacked against!! Not to worry. I'll perhaps spend the year learning to drive and updating my experience..

Do you know when they will be letting people know? I forgot to ask!
Original post by mrsrev
That sounds good. We've been on this assignment treadmill for months without any grades. None of our tutors will give them until they've been externally moderated - we asked for provisional grades but nothing. Last moderation was in November, so we don't know if there's anything to impove on and only two assignments due after the moderation date.

Oh wow that must be so frustrating!!! and here I am getting annoyed at teacher's for not marking quickly enough so I can have feedback - and you're getting nothing. Good luck though! This access course has been tougher than I imagined it would be - workload wise anyway!
Original post by Baarbs
Good luck to you too! I am not too hopeful for myself - odds greatly stacked against!! Not to worry. I'll perhaps spend the year learning to drive and updating my experience..

Do you know when they will be letting people know? I forgot to ask!

I did ask at the interview section (Leeds), they said they weren't sure, "probably a few weeks" - but that they knew the ucas deadline was May - so really helpful then!
I did ask at the interview section (Leeds), they said they weren't sure, "probably a few weeks" - but that they knew the ucas deadline was May - so really helpful then!

Oh well.. Will try to put it out of my mind for the time being - hard tho' :s-smilie:

Leeds is very busy it seems. I deferred last year and have contacted the subject leader over a week ago and all I've received is an auto reply saying she's busy.
I know there were things last year they wanted to do but delayed it to this year to ensure they were making the best decisions. So that could be a reason for delay.
Original post by DeeHarg
Leeds is very busy it seems. I deferred last year and have contacted the subject leader over a week ago and all I've received is an auto reply saying she's busy.
I know there were things last year they wanted to do but delayed it to this year to ensure they were making the best decisions. So that could be a reason for delay.

(According to a tutor) There may be more of a delay with Leeds this year as they were given NHS funding for 35 places for 2014, but as they sent out offers after each interview they ended up with too many people in the final interview slot getting more points than some they'd already offered places to, therefore ended up with 38 places. The NHS has therefore sanctioned them for 2015, so instead of funding for 35 places, they've only got 28.

So they've interviewed 200 people, for 28 places - might taken them quite a while to make the final decisions.
Original post by AmyPilot
Send your certificates now - no need to wait to do that - I scanned/emailed all mine.

The DBS check is done at the uni - I think they emailed me with drop in dates - I met up with a couple of people from last years thread and we went together sometime in July (after all the exams were over). You can just request the form but it all has to be completed and verified so went for the option of visiting the uni in person because atleast I knew it would all be right then - you just have to take the appropriate id with you.

Ahh ok thanks! I'll sort my certificates out then!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(According to a tutor) There may be more of a delay with Leeds this year as they were given NHS funding for 35 places for 2014, but as they sent out offers after each interview they ended up with too many people in the final interview slot getting more points than some they'd already offered places to, therefore ended up with 38 places. The NHS has therefore sanctioned them for 2015, so instead of funding for 35 places, they've only got 28.

So they've interviewed 200 people, for 28 places - might taken them quite a while to make the final decisions.

Thank you for letting us know, losing my mind ever so slightly in this waiting game! :smile:

I'm inclined to not believe that as from my experience of working within universities, they have to confirm their numbers with the funding body before interviewing.

I do hope people waiting are not too stressed out. Thank heavens I'm already registered on the course so no need to be waiting on decisions from them
Reply 2932
Is anyone thinking about firming Newcastle? I've got unconditionals from newcastle and strathclyde and a conditional from Manchester. Need to make a decision! I thought the department at Newcastle was lovely and am going to see the dept at Strathclyde next week so will have to make a decision after that! Am strongly leaning towards Newcastle atm, is newcastle anyone else's first choice?
I'm still waiting to hear back from Newcastle and Sheffield. Is this the case for anyone else? Newcastle said we would hear late February/early March - it's now mid March :\
It's been six weeks since my interview at Sheffield, I don't know whether I should email them?
Original post by beth_23
It's been six weeks since my interview at Sheffield, I don't know whether I should email them?

I'd wait until the 31st of March and then email them - they were getting pretty annoyed at people (including me) last year for repeatedly emailing them :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jen16
Is anyone thinking about firming Newcastle? I've got unconditionals from newcastle and strathclyde and a conditional from Manchester. Need to make a decision! I thought the department at Newcastle was lovely and am going to see the dept at Strathclyde next week so will have to make a decision after that! Am strongly leaning towards Newcastle atm, is newcastle anyone else's first choice?

I'm definitely firming Newcastle, absolutely loved it in Summer when I visited and again at my interview- something about it, I just love! Well done on an unconditional, that's amazing! Mines conditional- just gotta get AAB :/ aaaargh!
Hello all!

I hope I am not intruding.

My name is Luke and I'm a first year at City University London. I'm studying Speech and Language Therapy, and now coming towards the end of my first year.

I thought that it might be helpful to put up a post and offer any advice to prospective students, either if you're wanting to study at City or wanting to know anything else about SaLT from a first year's perspective.

I will try to reply ASAP, but do bear with me.

Hope I can be of help.
Nearly 4 months since my UEA and theyve told me for months they're 'about to start making a decision' .... They still haven't started :frown:
Original post by eskimok1
Nearly 4 months since my UEA and theyve told me for months they're 'about to start making a decision' .... They still haven't started :frown:

Are they the last one you are waiting to hear from? Sure you will hear soon - hope you do! It's so frustrating all the waiting - seems to have gone pretty quiet everywhere for SLT - sure there will be a flurry of offers soon

Quick Reply

Latest