The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Current LSE student, ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rosetta_x
Hey im still waiting on BA Geography at LSE :/ did they ask you for AAA?

Yeah, excluding Further Maths (I do 4 subjects). They did take a while to get back, early December after applying early October.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Hello, I just read this whole 9 thread piece haha.
I am currently in year 11and have achieved ALL B'S :s-smilie:

Even if I achieve 4As at a level, will I still not get in?
Original post by Azim101
Hello, I just read this whole 9 thread piece haha.
I am currently in year 11and have achieved ALL B'S :s-smilie:

Even if I achieve 4As at a level, will I still not get in?

So u already have your gcse results?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I have my GCSE's. However, for A level i am sure I could get 3 A's? Could I get in despite having terrible GCSES?
Hi - I know this has all probably been asked before, but if you don't mind me asking, that'd be great.

1. How does the social life and workload compare to other london unis? (UCL/KCL)?
2. Do you find that nationalities are cliquey?

Thanks!
I'm applying for Bsc accounting and finance and got 6 A*s ( Math,Eco,Physics,Chem,Bio,IT) 2 A's(Eng lang, french) and a C (eng lit) in my GCSE's.
Im predicted 7,7,6 at Hl ( 6 in math hl) and 7,6,6 at Sl. (the school doesn't predict bonus points)
Do I have a chance with the 6 in math and c in lit?
Reply 166
Original post by cancan15
Hi - I know this has all probably been asked before, but if you don't mind me asking, that'd be great.

1. How does the social life and workload compare to other london unis? (UCL/KCL)?
2. Do you find that nationalities are cliquey?

Thanks!

1) Hi, Social life is pretty similar because its London and you can choose to go to the same places as the other two unis states. The workload is probably higher than KCL and probably either slightly higher or on par with UCL. (although this does depend on discipline being studied)

2) Nationalities can be cliquey at times as they are similar to each other but tbh this is at many universities. You also get a lot of non cliquey cosmopolitan groups.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 167
Original post by asdf39383
I'm applying for Bsc accounting and finance and got 6 A*s ( Math,Eco,Physics,Chem,Bio,IT) 2 A's(Eng lang, french) and a C (eng lit) in my GCSE's.
Im predicted 7,7,6 at Hl ( 6 in math hl) and 7,6,6 at Sl. (the school doesn't predict bonus points)
Do I have a chance with the 6 in math and c in lit?

Do you have a chance? I can only advise you to apply. That is the way to see. I'm not an admission selector so any advice in terms of likeliness I give you is completely subjective. But in terms of to apply or not to apply, definitely apply as you can see what will happen.

However in terms of my subjective opinion, overall your grades are strong so you do have a chance.
Do you have any solutions to the old MA100, MA103, ST102, EC102 past papers?
Hello, first of all thanks for this thread. It is amazing. Honestly has helped me a lot from reading your responses.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I have offers from LSE for management and Durham for Economics.
I really want a decent social life and have thus like you said applied for preference at LSE halls. But equally, I would like an awesome job if I can get one. Probably not in IB, but it would probably be in some kind of financial firm. I really am stuck on the fence with it.

I like Durham's approach with lots of guidance and help if needs be. Is it true that LSE has a 'if you can't do it, get out' approach to understanding course content? I've spent hours trawling posts etc. and the general theme seems to be feedback is quite poor and you can easily get isolated - do you know if this is an issue (especially in your 2nd/3rd years?)

Additionally, with regard to employment, will being a management grad as a pose to a LSE/Durham econ grad hold me back. Is there a lot of snobbery about this at all?

I've tried not to repeat too much of what you've already answered :wink: and I really thank you very much for this thread and your persistence in answering everyone's questions!!! You're great:biggrin:!!!
Reply 170
Hi! How's the security in LSE Hall? Do they have any rules that will ensure our safety there? Thank you!
Reply 171
Original post by Audi
Hello, first of all thanks for this thread. It is amazing. Honestly has helped me a lot from reading your responses.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I have offers from LSE for management and Durham for Economics.
I really want a decent social life and have thus like you said applied for preference at LSE halls. But equally, I would like an awesome job if I can get one. Probably not in IB, but it would probably be in some kind of financial firm. I really am stuck on the fence with it.

I like Durham's approach with lots of guidance and help if needs be. Is it true that LSE has a 'if you can't do it, get out' approach to understanding course content? I've spent hours trawling posts etc. and the general theme seems to be feedback is quite poor and you can easily get isolated - do you know if this is an issue (especially in your 2nd/3rd years?)

Additionally, with regard to employment, will being a management grad as a pose to a LSE/Durham econ grad hold me back. Is there a lot of snobbery about this at all?

I've tried not to repeat too much of what you've already answered :wink: and I really thank you very much for this thread and your persistence in answering everyone's questions!!! You're great:biggrin:!!!

Hi, thank you for the kind comments. Well done on getting two offers for two fantastic universities.
Erm "the get out if you can't do it" approach is completely subjective. All top universities have hard content and thus one can approach a situation by giving up or either attending an extra class if material is not got which is something I do.
I guess one could get isolated however uni is completely what you make of it and the people who comment may be more introverted. Also I find that with internet forums students tend to write more negatives than positives. Personally, I don't see how one could become isolated if they try making friends because I've found many people at LSE sociable and outgoing.
In terms of the snobbery question, theres snobbery in all degree programmes I guess. For example I reckon a physicist can be snobbish about a chemist. There is small snobbery to be honest however if you want to enter some sort of managerial role, management is a good degree. Also, a lot of management students this year received springweeks indicating that the programme must be good.
You are in a tricky but also lucky situation and I would suggest that you go to the uni that will make you happier.
Reply 172
Original post by Ethan_
Hi! How's the security in LSE Hall? Do they have any rules that will ensure our safety there? Thank you!

Yes security is good i.e. cameras which are watched at night etc etc.
Original post by Aj_16
As the title states, I'm a current LSE student. The process can be quite long and I found when applying last year that there are numerous questions I needed the answer to which I couldn't find answers for. I have been at LSE for 2 months so far and I'm loving my experience. I hope to answer any queries you people may have... fire away

Hey

My name is Siddharth, and I'm from India. I was extremely happy to receive an offer from LSE for an MSC in Organisational and Social Science. However, what worries me is this. I agree that LSE is known very well for it's teaching quality and so on. But how good is Psychology at LSE? Any help?
Original post by siddharthmsc
Hey

My name is Siddharth, and I'm from India. I was extremely happy to receive an offer from LSE for an MSC in Organisational and Social Science. However, what worries me is this. I agree that LSE is known very well for it's teaching quality and so on. But how good is Psychology at LSE? Any help?

Hi Siddharth! I've been admitted also to the same programme and also to the Master in Research Psychology at University of Manchester. Looking for the same feedback, I wanna know if LSE is well-regarded in Psychology!

If you have any information about it, please let me know, thanks!
Original post by Aj_16
As the title states, I'm a current LSE student. The process can be quite long and I found when applying last year that there are numerous questions I needed the answer to which I couldn't find answers for. I have been at LSE for 2 months so far and I'm loving my experience. I hope to answer any queries you people may have... fire away

Not really sure if this is a question that makes sense, but it's one that I couldn't find an answer to.

A couple of friends of mine who are in uni atm have told me how in certain modules, the professors make final adjustments to final module grades such that only a certain percentage of people get firsts, only a certain percentage of people get 2:1, etc. This would mean that if out of 200 people, 80 people got higher than 70%, those who were on the lower spectrum (say 40 out of the 80) would be 'bumped down' to 2:1s in order to maintain the set percentages. One even said this 'bell-curve' would be applied to the graduating class such that only a select percentage would attain firsts and a certain amount 2:1... get my drift?

I'm just wondering if LSE practices this - because if they do I'd start freaking out now - and if you've ever had your marks "ajdusted" or heard of people who were on track for a first being awarded a 2:1 instead? Hope that makes sense!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aj_16

Favorite lecturer and what course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for this thread which is really helpful.

I am actually so excited to see this thread because I have received an offer for the economics and economic history, the same as you!

Some of your answers really helps me to make the final decision, thank you again.

by the way, could you give any comments about Northumberland House where I plan to apply accommodation?

I wish I can see you in October. :smile:
Hello,

My name is Fizza and I got into LSE for my postgrad in Development Studies.

I applied for accommodation and my preferences were: Single en-suite, catered.

I have attained accommodation at Lillian Penson Hall. I looked it up and the hall and rooms look pretty nice to me. However, the hall is at a 25 minute distance from LSE through underground. Is it really that big an issue? How will that affect my budget?
(edited 9 years ago)
Hello,

My name is Fizza and I got into LSE for my postgrad in Development Studies.

I applied for accommodation and my preferences were: Single en-suite, catered.

I have attained accommodation at Lillian Penson Hall. I looked it up and the hall and rooms look pretty nice to me. However, the hall is at a 25 minute distance from LSE through underground. Is it really that big an issue? How will that affect my budget?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending