The Student Room Group

Is Imperial or Oxford better at Maths?

I dunno but I'm pretty tempted to say oxford is **** at maths because their MAT is so ridiculously easy but then I realized it's not so clear cut because Imperial asks for MAT as well rofl
Original post by CancerousProblem
I dunno but I'm pretty tempted to say oxford is **** at maths because their MAT is so ridiculously easy but then I realized it's not so clear cut because Imperial asks for MAT as well rofl

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxford has David Atiyah.Oxford is far better IMO,has a better maths tradition.
Reply 2
Depends on what your definition of 'better at maths' is.

To quote an Imperial professor acting as an external examiner on Oxford's exams:

Most papers were slightly more demanding than equivalent papers at my own institution, and much more demanding than at most UK universities. This is as it should be. The results were rather good, and the students performed at high level, much higher than students at most UK universities.
Original post by Noble.
Depends on what your definition of 'better at maths' is.

To quote an Imperial professor acting as an external examiner on Oxford's exams:

You sure he wasn't paid off?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Dilzo999
You sure he wasn't paid off?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well that would pretty much defeat the point of external examiners.

Definitely Imperial because their Chinese food is amazing!

What do you mean by better?

Teaching, research, friendliness, hostility, Bullingdon clubs, pollution, cost, prospects, .....
I'm pretty tempted to say oxford is **** at maths

I dunno but I'm pretty tempted to say oxford is **** at maths...

I would rethink your judgements...
Oxford are better then imperial for maths. Imperial are probably 3rd/4th after Cambridge Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look forward to seeing you get 100% on it then. :wink:

The test is only the first hurdle, you need to do well on it to get an interview, and then reach the offer after that.
As an ICL maths student, the only other university that I would want to do my course at is Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Indeterminate
As an ICL maths student, the only other university that I would want to do my course at is Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why's that, out of interest?
Original post by Noble.
Why's that, out of interest?

Well, it's the best UK uni for maths. I know Oxford isn't far off but neither is Imperial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Indeterminate
Well, it's the best UK uni for maths. I know Oxford isn't far off but neither is Imperial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok. I read that as there being a specific reason you wouldn't want to do it at Oxford.

Quick Reply

Latest