The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mistake Not...
white men are ugly

Original post by Wbt198
Homosexuality doesn't exist, neither does heterosexuality. These are man made labels, fictional like religion. Designed to control and label.

I like these a lot.

In other news, they say internet trolls are sadist. (New thread)
Original post by SophieSmall
I see. Since you'll allow it for rape, am I right to assume you view forcing a woman to go through a pregnancy as okay as its a punishment for having sex? If you were a woman in that situation would you feel the same way? I've never understood this argument. Never.

If a woman doesn't use protection whilst having sex then it should not be her choice, based on whether she can be bothered to carry around a child in her because it's painful. She has the decision over her own life, not that of the baby's.
Original post by wildeskills
If a woman doesn't use protection whilst having sex then it should not be her choice, based on whether she can be bothered to carry around a child in her because it's painful. She has the decision over her own life, not that of the baby's.

So you just assumed she didn't use protection? Contraception can fail you know. You are also only talking about the woman here. What about the man? He played a part didn't he? Why is it that in these conversations it is only the woman who is called into question and told to deal with the consequences.

Also you know pregnancy isn't just a bit of a chore right? or a bit painful? It is one of the harshest things you can put a human body through and can be dangerous and often leaves life long effects on the female body. It's no walk in the park.

Also that argument doesn't really explain why it is okay in the case of rape for the woman to have an abortion. Why in that case does she get to decide whether the baby lives or does not come to term? Because she didn't decide to have sex? That's not the foetuses problem regardless of how it was conceived.
Original post by reallydontknow
Its a stance taken by quite a few scientists. The warming of the earth could just be a cycle the earth goes through, ice ages and heat ages being a part of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surveys of peer review literature (we're talking thousands of studies) show a scientific consensus of about 97% in favour of the theory that human activities are contributing significantly to climate change. And an awful lot of the dissent comes not from scientists, but from fossil fuel funded lobby groups.
Reply 1304
Original post by RFowler
Surveys of peer review literature (we're talking thousands of studies) show a scientific consensus of about 97% in favour of the theory that human activities are contributing significantly to climate change. And an awful lot of the dissent comes not from scientists, but from fossil fuel funded lobby groups.

It's true that the earth temperature fluctuates but the graph looks something like this;
/
/
/
/
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
This a much much much larger rise than what has happened in the past. Clearly down to human activity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Education should be free !!

making education cost an arm and a leg is nothing different to practising eugenics on the society, targeting only us poor folks. It breaks my heart.
Original post by RFowler

I've looked into that and those figures are widely distorted the true number is more like 30-40% and the rest being unsure or thinking it may have a cause.

Besides it's a view which has scientific backing and some evidence. It's not completely unrealistic.
So you just assumed she didn't use protection? Contraception can fail you know. You are also only talking about the woman here. What about the man? He played a part didn't he? Why is it that in these conversations it is only the woman who is called into question and told to deal with the consequences.

Also you know pregnancy isn't just a bit of a chore right? or a bit painful? It is one of the harshest things you can put a human body through and can be dangerous and often leaves life long effects on the female body. It's no walk in the park.

Also that argument doesn't really explain why it is okay in the case of rape for the woman to have an abortion. Why in that case does she get to decide whether the baby lives or does not come to term? Because she didn't decide to have sex? That's not the foetuses problem regardless of how it was conceived.

Because, I know a woman who was raped and got PTSD after the pregnancy, which had a terrible effect on her meaning she couldn't work for the rest of her life and had panic attacks. Condoms work 99.9% of the time. The woman is the one with the baby growing inside of her.
Original post by reallydontknow
I've looked into that and those figures are widely distorted the true number is more like 30-40% and the rest being unsure or thinking it may have a cause.

Besides it's a view which has scientific backing and some evidence. It's not completely unrealistic.

Of the ones that clearly express a view on the causes, an overwhelming majority of them support the theory. Papers that do not express a view on the causes are excluded as they are not relevant - e.g. they might be about the impacts rather than the causes.
Because, I know a woman who was raped and got PTSD after the pregnancy, which had a terrible effect on her meaning she couldn't work for the rest of her life and had panic attacks. Condoms work 99.9% of the time. The woman is the one with the baby growing inside of her.

Did you know that PTSD is actually a reasonably common condition that women can develop after child birth? Or do you only have sympathy for that condition if it started with rape?

That's still not 100% affective, that still means 1 woman out of every thousand (statistically) will get pregnant despite using a condom.

Yes the woman is carrying the foetus, but what about once it's born?
(edited 9 years ago)
Did you know that PTSD is actually a reasonably common condition that women develop after child birth? Or do you only have sympathy for that condition if it started with rape?

That's still not 100% affective, that still means 1 woman out of every thousand (statistically) will get pregnant despite using a condom.

Yes the woman is carrying the foetus, but what about once it's born?

1) Occurs more commonly after rape, often an extremely unpleasant and scarring memory rather than getting drunk and making a bad decision.
2) It's not one out of a thousand. It's 99.9% in the same way that antibacterial sprays are, just that there is a very very small chance that it would not be effective so they can't say 100%.
3) Adoption. Gay couples or couples who can not reproduce.
Just to say, I'm not religious in the slightest or some crazy American conservative. I just think that a mother should not be able to kill her child in every situation.
1) Occurs more commonly after rape, often an extremely unpleasant and scarring memory rather than getting drunk and making a bad decision.
2) It's not one out of a thousand. It's 99.9% in the same way that antibacterial sprays are, just that there is a very very small chance that it would not be effective so they can't say 100%.
3) Adoption. Gay couples or couples who can not reproduce.
Just to say, I'm not religious in the slightest or some crazy American conservative. I just think that a mother should not be able to kill her child in every situation.

1)So you are only sympathetic if it only occurs after rape? Also well done for assuming all accidental pregnancies are drunken accidents :rolleyes:
2)That's not how statistics works.
3)That's all very well and good but the adoption system is not perfect, some may still choose to keep the baby after birth but then may go on to still resent it and treat the child badly.

Okay let me pose you a question. I have tokophobia, which is a severe phobia of pregnancy and child birth. If contraception failed and I still got pregnant do you still think I shouldn't be allowed access to abortion? Even though carrying the pregnancy could have a very adverse effect on my mental health?
1)So you are only sympathetic if it only occurs after rape? Also well done for assuming all accidental pregnancies are drunken accidents :rolleyes:
2)That's not how statistics works.
3)That's all very well and good but the adoption system is not perfect, some may still choose to keep the baby after birth but then may go on to still resent it and treat the child badly.

Okay let me pose you a question. I have tokophobia, which is a severe phobia of pregnancy and child birth. If contraception failed and I still got pregnant do you still think I shouldn't be allowed access to abortion? Even though carrying the pregnancy could have a very adverse effect on my mental health?

1) It's called exaggeration.
2) Um, yes, it is. 99.9999% if you're going to be picky.
3) Why don't we just stop reproducing and kill all babies then? If they may be treated badly?
4) Use protection. It's really not difficult. Use two condoms or just don't have sex if you're so worried.
1) It's called exaggeration.
2) Um, yes, it is. 99.9999% if you're going to be picky.
3) Why don't we just stop reproducing and kill all babies then? If they may be treated badly?
4) Use protection. It's really not difficult. Use two condoms or just don't have sex if you're so worried.

1) I don't understand your answer to that? What is being exaggerated?
2) You gave me the statistic 99.9% not 99.99999% they are two significantly different statistics.
3) Now who is the one who is exaggerating? :rolleyes:
4) I do use protection. You are also clearly very uneducated if you think wearing two condoms decreases your risk further of pregnancy, it actually increases the risk as wearing two condoms at the same time is a bad idea. So you think one of my basic freedoms should be taken away in case I get pregnant because I don't want to keep the child? Would you be singing the same tune if it were you?
1) I don't understand your answer to that? What is being exaggerated?
2) You gave me the statistic 99.9% not 99.99999% they are two significantly different statistics.
3) Now who is the one who is exaggerating? :rolleyes:
4) I do use protection. You are also clearly very uneducated if you think wearing two condoms decreases your risk further of pregnancy, it actually increases the risk as wearing two condoms at the same time is a bad idea. So you think one of my basic freedoms should be taken away in case I get pregnant because I don't want to keep the child? Would you be singing the same tune if it were you?

1. I was exaggerating as stereo typically that is a situation where it would occur. It's called rhetoric.
2. The germ antibacteria example was a good one. Go back and re read.
3. Rhetoric.
4. Rhetoric.
1. I was exaggerating as stereo typically that is a situation where it would occur. It's called rhetoric.
2. The germ antibacteria example was a good one. Go back and re read.
3. Rhetoric.
4. Rhetoric.

1) okay so you completely ignored the first part of my question. You have no sympathy for those who develop things such as PTSD after pregnancy if they weren't raped?
2) No. You are just ignoring me. 99.90% is not the same as 99.99999% That is not a difficult thing to understand.
3) :rolleyes:
4) :rolleyes:

Opinions like yours can be dangerous and can hurt a lot of people if implemented and I find it quite sad that you're not even mature enough to have a proper discussion about it without acting out and not responding clearly or properly and just making jokes. Forcing a pregnancy on someone is in no shape or form a joke or to be taken lightly.
1) okay so you completely ignored the first part of my question. You have no sympathy for those who develop things such as PTSD after pregnancy if they weren't raped?
2) No. You are just ignoring me. 99.90% is not the same as 99.99999% That is not a difficult thing to understand.
3) :rolleyes:
4) :rolleyes:

Opinions like yours can be dangerous and can hurt a lot of people if implemented and I find it quite sad that you're not even mature enough to have a proper discussion about it without acting out and not responding clearly or properly and just making jokes. Forcing a pregnancy on someone is in no shape or form a joke or to be taken lightly.

Opinions like yours can hurt **** loads of baby's.
1. Of course I have sympathy, but I also have sympathy for the child who shouldn't be killed.
2. What I mean is that condoms are effective, in practice, all the time. You can almost go as close to 100% as you want and it will be true. if it's 99.9%, hey, have sex 999 times. If it's higher, have more sex. The point is the possibility is extremely low. You can't seriously say every time you have sex "Well if the contraception doesn't work, we can always kill it!"
3+4. Google rhetoric. rolleyes is not actually an argument. I'm highlighting how stupid what you are saying is.
Opinions like yours can hurt **** loads of baby's.
1. Of course I have sympathy, but I also have sympathy for the child who shouldn't be killed.
2. What I mean is that condoms are effective, in practice, all the time. You can almost go as close to 100% as you want and it will be true. if it's 99.9%, hey, have sex 999 times. If it's higher, have more sex. The point is the possibility is extremely low. You can't seriously say every time you have sex "Well if the contraception doesn't work, we can always kill it!"
3+4. Google rhetoric. rolleyes is not actually an argument. I'm highlighting how stupid what you are saying is.

Here you again with the baby argument.

I'm sorry but your argument is flawed. If the baby is the one who matters in the situation then the equation of rape should not matter as the foetus did not decide how it was going to be conceived. Why should a rape baby not come to term then? If the thing that matters here is the baby?

1) Right sure
2) The point is it isn't 100% and there will be people who get preganct regardless
3) How can you argue against just the word rhetoric? :rolleyes:
Here you again with the baby argument.

I'm sorry but your argument is flawed. If the baby is the one who matters in the situation then the equation of rape should not matter as the foetus did not decide how it was going to be conceived. Why should a rape baby not come to term then? If the thing that matters here is the baby?

1) Right sure
2) The point is it isn't 100% and there will be people who get preganct regardless
3) How can you argue against just the word rhetoric? :rolleyes:

It's about the mother too, of course, but part of a woman is her ability to bear child as men can't do it. I'm also not saying every "rape baby" should be aborted.
fetus* pregnant*
1. Sorted.
2) Not everyone has your condition though, thank goodness. Most people won't be terrified of being pregnant. Remember, in my original post, I stated abortion was only acceptable in very few situations.
3)Argue against when I actually did it. If you really want to.
I think the feminist movement's name should be changed to something like Equalism, which promotes equal rights for EVERYONE, despite race, religion etc instead of specifically gender. That way more people will get involved and will be able to actually bring about change.

Latest