The Student Room Group

Slade School of Fine Art Application Advice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neworder_
this is my first post on this thread, had an interview with the slade last thursday. curious about these highlighter marks a few people have brought up, where exactly were these marks? i had a bit of paper taped to mine with my name and ucas id on it, is this where you found the highlighter marks? I saw about 4/5 portfolios of people who had just had interviews while i was there and didn't see any highlighter marks. also i received my invite on the 20th of feb, don't know if that makes any difference. I personally wouldn't look too much into it.

gd point about not worrying about it, shouldnt really but the mind rushes when presented with these patterns. Its me being irraitional and superstitious tbh

The scribbles were on the 'W35' stickers that were used by the Slade for the Portfolio inspection.

Did you have a good interview experience? Did Burrows etc. interview you?
Original post by bertiewallace123
gd point about not worrying about it, shouldnt really but the mind rushes when presented with these patterns. Its me being irraitional and superstitious tbh

The scribbles were on the 'W35' stickers that were used by the Slade for the Portfolio inspection.

Did you have a good interview experience? Did Burrows etc. interview you?

i can definitely understand why you're worried though! oh ok, so not at the interview, at the inspection stage? i had a red scribble on my sticker at inspection stage, i don't know what that means though! I didn't have a sticker like that for interview.

I think my interview experience was ok, few things i definitely would have changed in hindsight but i imagine that's a pretty normal response. I had the head of painting, woman from media and guy from sculpture, didn't have burrows.
i can definitely understand why you're worried though! oh ok, so not at the interview, at the inspection stage? i had a red scribble on my sticker at inspection stage, i don't know what that means though! I didn't have a sticker like that for interview.

I think my interview experience was ok, few things i definitely would have changed in hindsight but i imagine that's a pretty normal response. I had the head of painting, woman from media and guy from sculpture, didn't have burrows.

Red / Pink (?) another pink to the pile! COINCIDENCE I THINK NOT!!!!!

Haha jk this could be entirely innocent but so far everyone who has had a pink scribble has made the interview and everyone who has had a green scribble hasn't.

Oh ok, so you had Stahl and some other people, a different set then. Is your work quite paintily then? I noticed that as I wrote in my Personal Statement how much I liked film I was interviewed by head of fine art media Burrows who obviously oversees film,
Red / Pink (?) another pink to the pile! COINCIDENCE I THINK NOT!!!!!

Haha jk this could be entirely innocent but so far everyone who has had a pink scribble has made the interview and everyone who has had a green scribble hasn't.

Oh ok, so you had Stahl and some other people, a different set then. Is your work quite paintily then? I noticed that as I wrote in my Personal Statement how much I liked film I was interviewed by head of fine art media Burrows who obviously oversees film,

that's interesting, though i think its a coincidence personally. i could be wrong. Yeah i had Stahl, my work isn't painterly at all, it's entirely sculpture/installation. I'm not sure that they would have had certain people be interviewed by certain tutors given that for me they had someone from each department. The kinds of questions they asked me weren't medium specific, more general like ideas behind certain pieces and 'how would you install this' etc.
that's interesting, though i think its a coincidence personally. i could be wrong. Yeah i had Stahl, my work isn't painterly at all, it's entirely sculpture/installation. I'm not sure that they would have had certain people be interviewed by certain tutors given that for me they had someone from each department. The kinds of questions they asked me weren't medium specific, more general like ideas behind certain pieces and 'how would you install this' etc.

Interesting, looking at Stahl's work sculpture and installation aren't too far amiss from his own. From what I can see most of his work is of a less visceral quality that can easily shift from medium to medium, the figures etc are isolated against plain backgrounds and their is little illusion of depth. He places a lot of emphasis on ideas. That probs dosen't make sense (im not sure if it does to me either) but 'Y'know'

How did you present your portfolio then if it was sculpture? Did you bring any works in?
Interesting, looking at Stahl's work sculpture and installation aren't too far amiss from his own. From what I can see most of his work is of a less visceral quality that can easily shift from medium to medium, the figures etc are isolated against plain backgrounds and their is little illusion of depth. He places a lot of emphasis on ideas. That probs dosen't make sense (im not sure if it does to me either) but 'Y'know'

How did you present your portfolio then if it was sculpture? Did you bring any works in?

no i get you! my portfolio consisted of photographs/documentation on boards, i couldn't really bring any physical work with me.
no i get you! my portfolio consisted of photographs/documentation on boards, i couldn't really bring any physical work with me.

Yh i was the same, documented the lot, when you were photographed at the end were you pictured with several of your documented pieces or just the one? (final question haha)
Yh i was the same, documented the lot, when you were photographed at the end were you pictured with several of your documented pieces or just the one? (final question haha)

I just held up one piece and a bit of paper with my name on it
I just held up one piece and a bit of paper with my name on it

kooooool, cheers pal, (sorry I hope I haven't put you off of this thread with this incessant questioning!0)
Just in case anyone is waiting for Chelsea, my ucas updated at 4 this morning and i've got a place for fine art. Thought it was the slade already, so relieved that Chelsea have got back to me so quickly!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 850
I'm not sure why Chelsea has not rejected me yet via UCAS. Weird.
Just got my goldsmiths interview come through :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 852
They sure took their time. Congrats
Got a Chelsea place too!
Not sure I will go though.

Hope you guys all got into Slade
Original post by Notwinter
Got a Chelsea place too!

Congrats Notwinter! If I'm honest I think you should take the place, that is if you are reapplying next year to the Slade.

I've always seen Chelsea (and also Glasgow) as a bit like the Durham of the art schools, its like the rung down from Oxford/Slade/Goldsmiths* (*coughs),

nice location tho ever slightly out of the way (in London terms tho, isnt peckham where the scene is at atm?), a strong sense of institution, equally nice architecture, very good rep. Great artists (ones that I like anyway) come out of it too! (yourself in a few years maybe...) all in all its a good place to go to! and an oppurtunity not to be missed. (personally)

and thanks for the luck, we'll be needing it....
I am not reapplying to Slade, my work will never be conceptual enough for them.
I think I will still go to Leeds, I just really want to do the curation. I'm not sure just doing fine art will hold my attention long enough, I need to do something a bit academic and research-y haha
I think the only reason I would go to Chelsea is because of the reputation, but I'm not overly interested in that...
I mean it's got like 7 turner prize winners, and Leeds had 0 of anything. ..... I mean it is a little tough... but currrrrrationnn. oh gosh. Why can't I do both haha
I am not reapplying to Slade, my work will never be conceptual enough for them.
I think I will still go to Leeds, I just really want to do the curation. I'm not sure just doing fine art will hold my attention long enough, I need to do something a bit academic and research-y haha
I think the only reason I would go to Chelsea is because of the reputation, but I'm not overly interested in that...
I mean it's got like 7 turner prize winners, and Leeds had 0 of anything. ..... I mean it is a little tough... but currrrrrationnn. oh gosh. Why can't I do both haha

Goldsmiths do Fine Art with History of Art... It's not really art history as such from what I can gather though, they have curation modules and documentary modules and all sorts, it's thematic as opposed to chronological. There's plenty of academia/research, and your week is split 50/50 between the regular fine art studio work and the academic. They have people go to work/intern at the V&A and tate etc. If that helps in your search for both!
Original post by ieestok
Goldsmiths do Fine Art with History of Art... It's not really art history as such from what I can gather though, they have curation modules and documentary modules and all sorts, it's thematic as opposed to chronological. There's plenty of academia/research, and your week is split 50/50 between the regular fine art studio work and the academic. They have people go to work/intern at the V&A and tate etc. If that helps in your search for both!

I've never wanted to go to Goldsmiths, I applied but withdrew my application as I didn't like the school and didn't apply for History of art . I think I chose curation as it's more specific. I'm a young curator at a gallery already and it's something I really enjoy. Plus Leeds are spending like 8m on building new art and curation spaces. I think it'll be an exciting course.

I mean I could go to Chelsea and then do a masters in curation, but I think I need to entertain myself for 3 years haha
Got a Chelsea place too!

Congratulations on chelsea!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 859
I've applied to kingston uni ba fine art and from all of my choices this is the school i know less. Any thoughts about it? their tuition is much lower than ual, GS and Slade.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest