The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Shed End
Whoa! Why so aggressive? I simply stated an opinion and I get jumped on and called a prick - not cool btw. Still, funny how Arsenal fans are throwing stones in glass houses. They sing about gassing Jewish Tottenham fans and now they go around the internet calling people pricks - something needs to be done about this nutty lot.

I meant you're acting like one, didn't say you were one. I wouldn't sing about gassing jews anyone who does is a disgrace tbh...

You were being deliberately antagonistic and it's just boring, there's lots of legitimate criticisms you could make but you stick to making absolutely irrelevant and nonsensical points...
Original post by The Shed End
For painting potentially beating a team who have scored 6 goals in the competition all season at the round of 16 stage of the Champions League as a 'miracle'.

And also conceding one I believe? So scoring 3 goals against them would require a fair bit of luck, in my opinion.
Original post by Pete_91
I meant you're acting like one, didn't say you were one. I wouldn't sing about gassing jews anyone who does is a disgrace tbh...

You were being deliberately antagonistic and it's just boring, there's lots of legitimate criticisms you could make but you stick to making absolutely irrelevant and nonsensical points...

You said I should be less of a prick...not sure where its says I'm 'acting like one'.

I wouldn't sing racist songs and chants, push an innocent person off a train - yet you're the one who generalised Chelsea fans as doing that in your first post. So I can't point out the bad things some Arsenal fans do but the vice versa is ok - cool, seems fair.

Not being deliberataly antagonistic - I simply came here to make a point and post my opinion which I'm sure many people would agree with. As to whether it's boring or not, that's your opinion. Even if I posted a 'legitimate' criticism (because celebrating potentially beating a second rate French side in a Ro16 match isn't enough) it would be shot down because i'm not a gunner.

Confused as to why they also havent put one up for the CL parade for June 7th as well? :confused:
Original post by Arkasia
Oh no, most definitely the striker's form reflects the form of his team, but I just think within that team, Giroud has played more of a role, and has been more impressive, than Adebayor was. When you look at Giroud linking up with Ramsey and Ozil, and compare it to Cesc, Walcott, or someone else carrying the ball forward only for Ade to take it and **** it straight into the stratosphere with his shot, I personally believe Giroud is better, and believe he has a 30 goal season in him (all competitions) as long as he isn't injured.

Adebayor was capable of 30 goal seasons and he got it during 07-08.

Adebayor had physicality better than Giroud which made up for his lack of technique.
I see all of those points and have to admit I have noticed Willian/Ramires cutting inside as soon as they can, which doesn't make sense to me (Cuadrado and Hazard at least attempt to play wide and run from the byline at times), which makes little sense to me. With Fabregas, his play has been erratic, with passes going anywhere but the target, and his link-up play being along the width of the pitch as opposed to the length.

We play so narrow because of tactics, all the players are at their best in the inside channels than the outside channels. The movement of our wingers are simple, while fluid and they switch position, they like to operate in the middle.

Why would you say that is, beyond his usual post-Christmas dip? (Genuine question)

Many reasons, again down to Costa moving more wide, we don't have a focal point, so due to this Fabregas doesn't have many options to make any vertical passes and makes more lateral passes. The movement of our players is quite slower nowadays, while still fluid it is quite slow, which in turn makes the build up play slow, when that happens, that through pass that would be on is no longer on because the opposition have kept themselves organised, while we're at it teams either control Chelsea in the middle or park the bus, no middle ground. So we're finding ourselves having to be ultra clinical vs the control sides, which our team doesn't have the ability to do.

I'd also say that Hazard likes to have the ball to feet, Willian likes to have the ball to feet, Oscar likes the ball to feet, so if Costa is no longer operating in the central area all that's going to happen is that we are no longer going to have any balls on for Fabregas to use.

We add to the fact that we've been playing slower, lower intensity football post Xmas for most of the game, when earlier in the season we tended to do a Liverpool 13/14 and press the opposition from the get go, get 2/3 goals in 30mins then take our foot of the gas once we've killed the game. Now we don't do that, we tend to play lower intensity football, then after 15-20mins if we haven't scored we then try to get the team going in a burst.
Original post by Logolept
LOL. I remember when I had a 5* Yakubu MOTM Match Atax card of him in primary. The guy can produce moments of magic.

Shoot out cards>
tree nil 2 us 2 nite

the gawd has spoken.
cant say that I am as excited for tonight as I usually am for a big arsenal game. no where near as hyped as last week against united.. but then thats pretty obvious when we are going into it, with only a slim chance of a positive result.

Who knows, could turn out to be an amazing night of football.. but I much more expect it to be an arsenal win, but one that is not enough to send us through.

Would start giroud again. he may have massivly ****ed up the first leg, but he is still our best striker in that position, and given a chance at redemption, maybe he will put in a great perormance this time round
Original post by Arkasia
Let's be brutally honest here, Monaco just isn't happening. It's a shame, but it's not. The FA Cup, however, still might, and we could nab 2nd in the league, so a good season all around.

True
But didn't we come from 2-0 down to beat hull in the FA cup final

Let's hope we can do it again
( I doubt we can though) so I would be happy with second and FA Cup as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zürich

Confused as to why they also havent put one up for the CL parade for June 7th as well? :confused:

They don't have faith in Arsenal:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm just excited to watch a bit of football tonight tbh, what will be will be. It's not happening.
the only way I think tonight can end badly for me.. is if we get close, but then mess up..

I just remember trying to overturn the 4-0 deficit, 3 years ago..

Came in with no expectations..

We shot to 3-0 before halftime...

And oh my days, was i excited.. we were about to pull off the best comback in a long time..

Then came the 2nd half, and the game ended with me serriously pissed off..

Whereas if we had just never got those 3 goals, i think my mood would have remained a stable state of not really caring
Reply 4612
Original post by fallen_acorns
the only way I think tonight can end badly for me.. is if we get close, but then mess up..

I just remember trying to overturn the 4-0 deficit, 3 years ago..

Came in with no expectations..

We shot to 3-0 before halftime...

And oh my days, was i excited.. we were about to pull off the best comback in a long time..

Then came the 2nd half, and the game ended with me serriously pissed off..

Whereas if we had just never got those 3 goals, i think my mood would have remained a stable state of not really caring

That Van Persie miss is what wrecked my evening :frown:

Typically when Arsenal play with nothing to lose we play ruthlessly and usually get a convincing win. We just need to get a goal before half time, two before halftime would be a dream.

Really hope Giroud redeems himself. Heard that Monaco fans were chanting thank you chants to Giroud at the Emirates haha

We've put two past Munich at the Allianz, with arguably a better team I don't see why we can't get three tonight.

Confidence will be a huge key

Gosh I sound like Wenger haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
the hype if you win....:cool:

i'm working tonight so i won't have to endure it :wink:
Original post by SA-1
That Van Persie miss is what wrecked my evening :frown:

Typically when Arsenal play with nothing to lose we play ruthlessly and usually get a convincing win. We just need to get a goal before half time, two before halftime would be a dream.

Really hope Giroud redeems himself. Heard that Monaco fans were chanting thank you chants to Giroud at the Emirates haha

We've put two past Munich at the Allianz, with arguably a better team I don't see why we can't get three tonight.

Confidence will be a huge key

Gosh I sound like Wenger haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep, spot on.. and I do really think we will come out quick - we did do that very well against bayern. but we just need to make our chacnes count, like we did against united.. rather then as we often do, start fast, but then have no goals to show for it
We'll win the game, not the tie though. We do have the ability but if you look at a team like Monaco, they will hardly concede more than 3 at home.
I'm just curious as to who will be our Midfield tonight with a possibly lone Giroud upfront?
Legit hope we go out there and have a casual kick about and give some of the youth some minutes.

Don't see the point in fighting so hard for a win when we're going to get annihilated by any team in the quarters. Inb4 3 first team players get injured too.

Bow out of the CL with a 1-0 loss or 1-0 win, no injuries to first teamers and focus on top 4 (not guaranteed at all) and FA cup.

I just know wengs is going to play Ozil for 90 minutes, he'll get injured and Theo will make a cameo 15 appearance at the end and tear his ACL again going HAM.
Also, been practising those heel chops that Ozil does and do them all the time now :lol:

We're quite alike as players in that Im also left footed with about a 2 star weak foot but never use my right
Original post by Stefano93
I'm just curious as to who will be our Midfield tonight with a possibly lone Giroud upfront?

We never play 2 up front anyway?

Id like to see a Coquelin - Maitland Niles pivot

Latest