The Student Room Group

Used one year of university funding. Still eligible for an additional three?

Hey all,

I attended university for about half a year, many years ago now. The funding for the entire year was used, though it stopped because I never decided to continue into the second year.

As I understand it, there used to be (or still is, perhaps) four years of funding granted to each and every student: those who studied courses four years long and those who perhaps made a mistake the first time around and wanted to give it another crack (on a three year course.)

I was wondering, is this still the case? I plan to enroll on an access course later this year, and hopefully matriculate the year thereafter. Am I still eligible for the full three years of funding?

Many thanks in advance,

phil
Reply 1
Original post by philistine
Hey all,

I attended university for about half a year, many years ago now. The funding for the entire year was used, though it stopped because I never decided to continue into the second year.

As I understand it, there used to be (or still is, perhaps) four years of funding granted to each and every student: those who studied courses four years long and those who perhaps made a mistake the first time around and wanted to give it another crack (on a three year course.)

I was wondering, is this still the case? I plan to enroll on an access course later this year, and hopefully matriculate the year thereafter. Am I still eligible for the full three years of funding?

Many thanks in advance,

phil

You'll be fine for Student Finance at uni as long as you don't end up having to retake a year.

The calculation is:

Number of years of your new degree course (minus) Number of years of previous uni study (plus) One year = Number of years of remaining SF entitlement

Partial years are counted as complete. If you start a new three year degree, the calculation gives you 3-1+1=3 years of SF left.
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
You'll be fine for Student Finance at uni as long as you don't end up having to retake a year.

The calculation is:

Number of years of your new degree course (minus) Number of years of previous uni study (plus) One year = Number of years of remaining SF entitlement

Partial years are counted as complete. If you start a new three year degree, the calculation gives you 3-1+1=3 years of SF left.

That's very reassuring. Many thanks for the helpful response!
You will still be eligible for 3 years of funding. I did this myself when I changed my degree but found that they would not pay for another year 1. I could get funding for year 2 and 3 of my second degree but as I had already had funding for a first year of a degree they would not provide tuition fee loans again. I had to pay my tuition fee for my first year of the new degree but then got subsequent years paid.
Original post by Pumpkinsbc
You will still be eligible for 3 years of funding. I did this myself when I changed my degree but found that they would not pay for another year 1. I could get funding for year 2 and 3 of my second degree but as I had already had funding for a first year of a degree they would not provide tuition fee loans again. I had to pay my tuition fee for my first year of the new degree but then got subsequent years paid.

How much did you pay?
It was before the rise in fees so was £3200 but that was studying at a remote campus not at the main university (Lincoln). It would be £9000 now since the rise in tuition fees
Original post by Pumpkinsbc

:confused:

I'm sorry, but I find the above paragraph quite confusing...so you are eligible for an additional three years funding, but you were not because you had already completed the first year of a course, thus reducing your loan eligibility to two years?

The only other situation I can think of, is that you switched to a four year course, and even though you were eligible for three years worth of loans, you had to cover the first year?
Correct me if I'm wrong.
No I changed from 3 year health and social care degree to a 3 year English degree. I had 3 years funding left which would cover year 2 and 3 of my new degree plus a resit year if I were to fail either year 2 or 3. They would not pay for another year 1 even though there were three years of funding left. It didn't matter whether I had completed the first year or not, and this has also been the case with a number of other students I have come across
:frown: That is scaring me.

I intend to leave my current undergrad course at the end of this term (currently in first year) and reapply for another degree course in 2016.

How would I find £9000 to pay for the first year of a different course?!
(edited 9 years ago)
Student finance won't fund your first year as you've already had 1st year funding. You'll need to self fund and then apply for finance for year 2 and 3. There's a student finance rep in the finance forum so it's worth asking him in there
I have just spoken to an advisor over the telephone, who has accessed my records and evaluated my case on an individual basis.

My gift year will have been used up, but I will still be entitled to a further three years funding. I asked if one of these years would be reserved for a resit year, and was told that is not necessarily the case. I can switch to a different degree subject, and will receive tuition fee loans for year 1, year 2 and year 3.

I can't speak on behalf of anyone else, so I will not speculate as to their own circumstances/entitlement, but I have just spoken directly to a loans advisor who put me on hold in order to obtain further information so that she would not give me any incorrect information.

I am relieved, and reminded that you should always seek a second opinion and not always go on what you read from the internet.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3174099

Further information, should it be required, from a fellow 'Student Roomer' who has already completed one year of study, but is looking to switch to a different four year course.

The advice was provided by an advisor from Student Finance England.

Disclaimer:
Please be aware that Student Finance take into account a number of contributing factors when dispensing advice, based on an individual's personal circumstances, previous loan history, level of qualification etc.
My son switched courses after first year and is now in year 1 of the second degree. He got funding for first year with no problems.
Original post by philistine
Hey all,

Many thanks in advance,

phil

As far as I remember, you can apply for upto 4 years through student finance. I would call SFE and get a definitive answer.
Reply 14
Original post by AndyJack88
As far as I remember, you can apply for upto 4 years through student finance. I would call SFE and get a definitive answer.

Not quite. See post #2 above for the full calculation.

For standard 3 year degree courses it amounts to 4 years, but can be 5 years for a 4 year course and undergrad+integrated Masters courses are also longer. Previous years of uni study are deducted and there can be other variables such as Compelling Personal Reasons which increase the entitlement.
Reply 15
Hi, I started a uni course years ago but didn't conplete the year.
I have since been to speak a finance adviser at uni and was assured that I will still be eligible for 3 years of funding
Reply 16
I did six months of a degree and dropped out, I am now doing a degree with a foundation year so four years and am getting all four years of student finance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending