The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2520
Original post by Lauws
Now, 'Awaiting Results' - not confident !

What stream did you apply for?
Reply 2521
Original post by AnnD
What stream did you apply for?

generalist, had fsac on friday.
Original post by ERAYLANKESTER
I felt the same about my policy exercise (AC on Feb 9th). I work for the NICS, and the guidance published alongside the embargo announcement contained an assurance that a fast stream merit list would be drawn up. However, that in itself does mean any candidate will get a job in September, or indeed at all - some general board lists remain active for 5-7 years!

Given the current push for redundancies in the NICS, I envisage no more than 1 or 2 posts being filled in September, with no NI Fast Stream running for the foreseeable future. This could mean that all candidates acheiving over a certain mark this year may be included in a ranked list for posts as they become available in succeeding years, post-redundancies.

Can you post here upon receiving any news from Parity?

So we're all itching to find out that we have merit, nothing more? lol it's sad that I'm still dying to know whether I've passed or not. All the lady from Parity would tell me was that we definitely won't get word in March and that we'll have to wait until mid-April. Do you reckon they will then decrease the number of places on this years stream to compensate?
Original post by justmarv
So we're all itching to find out that we have merit, nothing more? lol it's sad that I'm still dying to know whether I've passed or not. All the lady from Parity would tell me was that we definitely won't get word in March and that we'll have to wait until mid-April. Do you reckon they will then decrease the number of places on this years stream to compensate?

They could do, but as there are technically no vacancies to fill (there is an indefinite embargo on all recruitment and substantive promotions, with even temp promotions considered only on a case by case basis), this would logically result in a blank list. So my best guess is that a long list will be produced to cover the next 2-3 years, during which time the NI scheme will be suspended (I think).
Hi MartinScorcese,

You seem well informed! I wonder if you could respond to a couple of quick questions?

1 - What's the point of the 'situational judgement questionnaire' if it's not summative? Does it help prepare you in some way for the competency-based multiple choice aspect of the online assessment?

2. At what point do candidates do the e-tray part? Do they only get the opportunity to try this stage if they get through the online selection test stage?

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Original post by d41k57
You do get allowances for relevant post-graduate qualifications and years of prior experience. I am on the GSS stream and have received my offer letter etc. The base salary for all fast stream (analysts included) is £27,500 this year. I have been offered allowances for my Ph.D. and each year of my post-doctoral research. They are pretty generous, but I don't want to give specific figures in case there are differences between departments and streams.

In order to get the allowances approved my (soon to be) line manager had to make an application to the HR team giving evidence. The qualification/experience has to be relevant to the department (but not necessarily your immediate team) in order to qualify. Hope this is useful.

Did you receive the offer letter shortly after your initial conversation with the department? Also, how relevant and serious does the experience need to be? For example, I have worked part-time at my University for a year doing data analysis to inform future policy and producing stats reports on staff composition, etc. - should I even bring this up (I am on GSS as well)? Thanks!
Just snapped and asked Parity when I might hear back--they said either 'either some time next week or mid-April'. Back to my dissertation for now, I reckon.
Reply 2527
Original post by TritonSails
Just snapped and asked Parity when I might hear back--they said either 'either some time next week or mid-April'. Back to my dissertation for now, I reckon.

how'd you get on with coms?
Original post by Lauws
how'd you get on with coms?

I don't think I understand the Q--if you mean, how did I ask them, then they reply pretty speedily when you message them through the 'Contact Us' link
I also snapped and asked and got a useless paste job:

"If you are still at a status of "Awaiting Results” for more than a week after attending FSAC, you possibly may not get your result until pass marks are reviewed in February / March / April. "

Considering February is long gone that's not very useful...
Reply 2530
I don't think I understand the Q--if you mean, how did I ask them, then they reply pretty speedily when you message them through the 'Contact Us' link

No I meant with your app to the coms service, haha.
Original post by Lauws
No I meant with your app to the coms service, haha.

Oh right! Yeah, I got rejected from that. I wrote my entire application in like ten minutes so it would have been a bit outrageous if I got through the sift..!
Oh right! Yeah, I got rejected from that. I wrote my entire application in like ten minutes so it would have been a bit outrageous if I got through the sift..!

Can you apply to other streams when you've applied to the Communication stream?
Original post by T-Bone27
Can you apply to other streams when you've applied to the Communication stream?

No--we're talking about a separate 'Assistant / Government Communicator' job (or set of jobs) that was being advertised recently in Edinburgh Leeds and London on the Civil Service Jobs website. Maybe the fast stream scheme didn't get as many applications as they wanted.
Reply 2534
No--we're talking about a separate 'Assistant / Government Communicator' job (or set of jobs) that was being advertised recently in Edinburgh Leeds and London on the Civil Service Jobs website. Maybe the fast stream scheme didn't get as many applications as they wanted.

Yep me and Triton submitted it on the deadline with quite literally a matter of seconds to spare - I can't speak for us both but I don't think either of us had high hopes for that application :biggrin:
Original post by Lauws
Yep me and Triton submitted it on the deadline with quite literally a matter of seconds to spare - I can't speak for us both but I don't think either of us had high hopes for that application :biggrin:

Ahh thank you, I was going to start kicking myself for not applying to the comms scheme as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2536
Hi, this is my first post and I know I'm not in the correct forum however it's still regarding the civil services jobs. I'm aware that the civil service fast stream is for graduates, however I am applying for a undergraduate placement role and have a interview due. I think the application process differs from the the graduate-fast stream one as I have only till now had to complete an application with competency questions but I was wondering if anyone here is on the same boat/if they've previously applied for a placement as an undergraduate as I'd love to here any opinions/advice/experiences!
Original post by Egizmo
Hi, this is my first post and I know I'm not in the correct forum however it's still regarding the civil services jobs. I'm aware that the civil service fast stream is for graduates, however I am applying for a undergraduate placement role and have a interview due. I think the application process differs from the the graduate-fast stream one as I have only till now had to complete an application with competency questions but I was wondering if anyone here is on the same boat/if they've previously applied for a placement as an undergraduate as I'd love to here any opinions/advice/experiences!

You might be better to start a thread asking this in the public sector forum, so that you have the best chances of the right people seeing it. Good luck!
Reply 2538
Original post by grownupfrog
You might be better to start a thread asking this in the public sector forum, so that you have the best chances of the right people seeing it. Good luck!

That sounds like a good idea! Thank you!!
Reply 2539
Unsuccessful for Houses of Parliament (100% expected) but still awaiting results for CD - does this mean that I've avoided the immediately unsuccessful? I.e. lower than a 2 in a particular category?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending