The Student Room Group

Attractive people are more intelligent

In general do you agree??

Here's a link to an article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1347651/Attractive-people-higher-IQs-Beauty-brains-DO-together.html

This is the theory behind it:

The conclusion that beautiful people are more intelligent follows from four assumptions.

(1) Men who are more intelligent are more likely to attain higher status than men who are less intelligent.
(2) Higher-status men are more likely to mate with more beautiful women than lower-status men.
(3) Intelligence is heritable.
(4) Beauty is heritable.

If all four assumptions are empirically true, then the conclusion that beautiful people are more intelligent is logically true, making it a proven theorem

From this research paper: http://personal.lse.ac.uk/kanazawa/pdfs/I2004.pdf

Scroll to see replies

could also be to do with poor people (chavs) who slum and drink a lot (drinking is very bad for skin)
How on earth does status = beauty?

+dailymail amirite
Can't think of many stunningly beautiful theoretical physicists.
Nah, I don't agree.
Hahaha what bull****.

You telling me those chicks that win miss world are more intelligent than me?

**** you daily mail.
This is basically what's known as the Halo Effect in which more beautiful people are perceived to be kinder/more intelligent etc, but I don't think it has any real basis in reality. Also, it's Daily Mail, come on..
Not true.
Reply 8
Original post by Solarburst

+dailymail amirite

The man has the status and intelligence and the woman has the beauty, so their offspring is more likely to be both intelligent and attractive.

Lolems everyone hates the daily mail so that's why i linked the original research article
Original post by Solarburst

+dailymail amirite

men with more status have broader range of options, meaning they can smash the most attractive women, meaning their children are born into intelligence AND aesthetics

not hard, is it?
did you drop out of school?
Not really lol
I believe they is a correlation between intelligence and attractiveness. A positive weak one though

Posted from TSR Mobile
I tend to agree with that

Posted from TSR Mobile
A quick look at the academics at my department rubbishes this little theory. There's not a looker among them of either gender.
I think it might be true for men.
Halo effect in action.
Good Lord! Imagine if this is true. Talk about the best of both worlds!
Intelligence does not equate to beauty AT ALL.

It may be coincidental that someone is attractive as well as smart, but there is no evidence that I know of which proves that aesthetic beauty is directly correlated with intellect pssh.
Beauty is all down to perception so this theory is not correct.
Reply 19

Quick Reply

Latest