The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aalex.. ~~~
Thanks a lot!!!
Is the first year's work at uni similar to a level?

In terms of workload I found semester one to only be a small step up.
Semester two I'm finding to be quite a lot more work than semester one. Still manageable though.

In terms of content you'll be taught new stuff and unfamiliar topics from the first couple of weeks. However throughout the year you sometimes end up being taught topics that you covered at a level. I think this is probably due people having different exam boards and stuff.
Another big difference in the work is that there's much more maths involved than in A level. You're given a self-study maths booklet and there are drop in sessions available, but if you've done A-level maths you shouldn't find it too hard.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 1801
I'm going to UoM for the first time tomorrow for a Visit Day but I've already put them as my firm. I'm worried I won't like it, does anyone have any info about the uni which will make me a bit more optimistic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gaby.
I'm going to UoM for the first time tomorrow for a Visit Day but I've already put them as my firm. I'm worried I won't like it, does anyone have any info about the uni which will make me a bit more optimistic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's an extremely vague request. Can you be more specific about what you want to know?
Reply 1803
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
That's an extremely vague request. Can you be more specific about what you want to know?

Oh sorry, please tell me any positives of the UoM experience in general. I want to do History, so any info on that would be welcome. :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gaby.
Oh sorry, please tell me any positives of the UoM experience in general. I want to do History, so any info on that would be welcome. :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's still very vague but here are some things off the top of my head:

UoM is one of the best universities in the world and it's located in one of the most exciting cities in the UK. The campus is a nice mix of having everything (mostly) together but still being part of the fabric of the city. There are a lot of things to do nearby, both in Manchester and outside. The university itself is heavily involved in research and is increasingly becoming, along with Manchester as a whole, a focal point for companies in various fields, particularly science.

I don't really know anything about History so I'm afraid I can't help you much there.
Reply 1805
That's still very vague but here are some things off the top of my head:

UoM is one of the best universities in the world and it's located in one of the most exciting cities in the UK. The campus is a nice mix of having everything (mostly) together but still being part of the fabric of the city. There are a lot of things to do nearby, both in Manchester and outside. The university itself is heavily involved in research and is increasingly becoming, along with Manchester as a whole, a focal point for companies in various fields, particularly science.

I don't really know anything about History so I'm afraid I can't help you much there.

I feel more excited about going after reading this. :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gaby.
I feel more excited about going after reading this. :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great!

It really is a brilliant university, I hope you enjoy your visit. :smile:
UoM or uni of birmingham for international business? Anyone with experience of both or knows someone who goes to them, any helps appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jonzza_81
In terms of workload I found semester one to only be a small step up.
Semester two I'm finding to be quite a lot more work than semester one. Still manageable though.

In terms of content you'll be taught new stuff and unfamiliar topics from the first couple of weeks. However throughout the year you sometimes end up being taught topics that you covered at a level. I think this is probably due people having different exam boards and stuff.
Another big difference in the work is that there's much more maths involved than in A level. You're given a self-study maths booklet and there are drop in sessions available, but if you've done A-level maths you shouldn't find it too hard.

Does first year count?
I'm currently in my first year doing MChem with industrial experience at Manchester if you wanna ask anything.

What's your schedule like? How many hours do u have to urself and for lectures and for self study?
I'm currently in my first year doing MChem with industrial experience at Manchester if you wanna ask anything.

Is there a big jump from a level chem to uni work

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does first year count?

No, but you need to score a minimum to stay on the next year. 40% for BSc students, 55% for MChem with industrial experience. And I think 50% for normal MChem
Also, if you're on the industrial experience course, your first year results will be all you have to show any companies you're applying to.

Original post by GentlemanBastard
What's your schedule like? How many hours do u have to urself and for lectures and for self study?

this week my timetable was 5 hours of labs, 9 hours of lectures and one hour long tutorial. Then a one hour optional pass session. Self study is as much as you want/can be bothered to do, though every week you will have to do a tutorial sheet and a lab report in your own time.

Original post by ammaarah01
Is there a big jump from a level chem to uni work

Posted from TSR Mobile

someone already asked me this, my reply's at the top of the page
No, but you need to score a minimum to stay on the next year. 40% for BSc students, 55% for MChem with industrial experience. And I think 50% for normal MChem
Also, if you're on the industrial experience course, your first year results will be all you have to show any companies you're applying to.

this week my timetable was 5 hours of labs, 9 hours of lectures and one hour long tutorial. Then a one hour optional pass session. Self study is as much as you want/can be bothered to do, though every week you will have to do a tutorial sheet and a lab report in your own time.

someone already asked me this, my reply's at the top of the page

Oic, I applied for the MChem one. So does that mean if I can't get 50 % or above in the first year, I can't stay at UOM in second year. Is that right? Or we have one chance to redo one year?
Original post by hado88
Got an offer for civil engineering on friday. Does anyone here do civil engineering? I'm curious about the course.

Hi ! I am also doing civil engineering! Did you go to their open day ? How did you find it ? Since I am thinking to put it as my insurance or surrey university.
Oic, I applied for the MChem one. So does that mean if I can't get 50 % or above in the first year, I can't stay at UOM in second year. Is that right? Or we have one chance to redo one year?

Usually, you'd be bumped back down to the BSc, as long as you're still above 40%. If you get below 40%, i.e. fail the year, the school decides whether or not to let you repeat the year. They look at things like your attendance and individual grades. If they don't let you repeat the year, you have to the leave the course entirely.

That's how it works in my school anyway, I assume it's the same for Chemistry.
Is business at Manchester competitive? Will they be lenient with me if I miss the offer slightly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by milkberries
Is business at Manchester competitive? Will they be lenient with me if I miss the offer slightly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know a huge amount about the Business School but I believe it is, yes. It's ranked as one of the top business schools in the world, although that's mainly based on its postgraduate courses.

No one can really predict whether they would still accept you if you missed your offer, it depends on to too many different factors.
Original post by milkberries

Yes, it's competitive. Almost all subjects at Manchester are.

There's no way of telling in advance if they'd be lenient with you on results day - it will come down to whether or not there's any space left.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know a huge amount about the Business School but I believe it is, yes. It's ranked as one of the top business schools in the world, although that's mainly based on its postgraduate courses.

No one can really predict whether they would still accept you if you missed your offer, it depends on to too many different factors.

Technically business studies is taught in the School of Social Sciences, whereas management is taught in Manchester Business School. I've never been able to fathom why that's the case! Presumably it's for historical reasons to do with the UMIST merger in 2004, but it's still a bit counter intuitive.

But apart from that, yes, I agree!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
Technically business studies is taught in the School of Social Sciences, whereas management is taught in Manchester Business School. I've never been able to fathom why that's the case! Presumably it's for historical reasons to do with the UMIST merger in 2004, but it's still a bit counter intuitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oops sorry I meant management! I just said business to refer to all the business-related courses as a whole.

I assumed that it isn't competitive as the entry requirements are quite low as compared to say the physics department.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, really? That is strange.

Latest

Trending

Trending