The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samus2
I think most schools would request a 'consistently good' teacher... I doubt it's a personal discouragement. There's no harm in applying.

Thanks. I was rated pretty badly by that school though. I'm just worried they'll see my application and laugh! My next application is due in the next few days so I guess I'll finish that and make a decision then.
Original post by alabelle
Thanks. I was rated pretty badly by that school though. I'm just worried they'll see my application and laugh! My next application is due in the next few days so I guess I'll finish that and make a decision then.

I agree with Samus2. Give it a go.
There's nothing to lose! I really doubt they would bother wording something so a certain person wouldn't apply. lots of ads say they need an 'outstanding teacher' - if everyone they employed was outstanding then there would be a hell of a lot of 'outstanding' teachers - whatever it means.
Pupil trails will be the death of me.

I just want to plan for the rest of this week :frown:
I think today has been my final straw.
My tutor came in and it seems that my mentor at school doesnt think overly highly of me and when i went to talk through things with her after the meeting it just made the whole relationship go really sour.
Im fed up with crying constantly and feeling inadequate , im almost 30 and had a far more chilled out life working in an office. Ive sobbed down the phone to my mum and sobbed at my husband and both have said if its making me feel this bad i shouldnt be doing it. just need to find a job!
Original post by Ratchit99
I think today has been my final straw.
My tutor came in and it seems that my mentor at school doesnt think overly highly of me and when i went to talk through things with her after the meeting it just made the whole relationship go really sour.
Im fed up with crying constantly and feeling inadequate , im almost 30 and had a far more chilled out life working in an office. Ive sobbed down the phone to my mum and sobbed at my husband and both have said if its making me feel this bad i shouldnt be doing it. just need to find a job!

I just want to give you such a big hug. Can't do any more than that. Wish I could.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I just want to give you such a big hug. Can't do any more than that. Wish I could.

Thanks hun, morally im keeping working until i can sort out what to do moving forward with my uni tutor but the last thing i want to do is plan lessons at the moment, sadly got two to do for tomorrow than are being taught friday so just have to keep slogging away!
It's hard to explain that feeling of the teaching dread - it's very specific. I have been where you are and things got better. Planning the night before when you're feeling down is the worst as there is no motivation.
Original post by bonniex123
It's hard to explain that feeling of the teaching dread - it's very specific. I have been where you are and things got better. Planning the night before when you're feeling down is the worst as there is no motivation.

You are very right. That's why I think this thread is so very important.
Thanks hun, morally im keeping working until i can sort out what to do moving forward with my uni tutor but the last thing i want to do is plan lessons at the moment, sadly got two to do for tomorrow than are being taught friday so just have to keep slogging away!

I completely understand. What are your thoughts on actually doing the job when you finish?

Don't worry about that. If you would like the job and have time, apply. If they feel you aren't ready for that position yet they won't invite you to interview. Nothing lost!

Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a bit annoyed. I don't know how many hours you lot are supposed to be up to, but I am supposed to do 10-12. I am on placement at a school that is a school direct school and there's six other trainees there doing school direct (still with my uni). They do 12 hours over four days, I do 12 hours over five days. So I have an advantage in that I get more frees. They are in conferences on Fridays.

My professional mentor today said that the school direct trainees are on much more closer to a fuller timetable than me, so they may add hours to my timetable. I think this is really unfair because I am supposed to do 12, just like them, and it is not my fault my PGCE is structured so that I am in on Fridays. It is an advantage that I have over SD, and I want to keep it. Yet at the same time I feel I would look bad if I complain. :dontknow:
Original post by Airfairy
I'm a bit annoyed. I don't know how many hours you lot are supposed to be up to, but I am supposed to do 10-12. I am on placement at a school that is a school direct school and there's six other trainees there doing school direct (still with my uni). They do 12 hours over four days, I do 12 hours over five days. So I have an advantage in that I get more frees. They are in conferences on Fridays.

My professional mentor today said that the school direct trainees are on much more closer to a fuller timetable than me, so they may add hours to my timetable. I think this is really unfair because I am supposed to do 12, just like them, and it is not my fault my PGCE is structured so that I am in on Fridays. It is an advantage that I have over SD, and I want to keep it. Yet at the same time I feel I would look bad if I complain. :dontknow:

In that situation I'd bring in the course handbook or wherever it says your hours required and say "Oh by the way I looked it u p and turns out were only meant to do 10-12 so we're sorted!" As if you thought they only planned on giving you more as they thought it might be needed for the course. Alternatively to the handbook you could email your tutor and ask how many hours are needed then do the same.

Also consider adding a couple of 'tasks' to your frees. Like saying "Oh, the uni/my tutor suggested I go observe X during a free" to show them the time is needed and remind them they shouldn't be taking it away.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you are ready for more hours and can cope with more hours, I suggest you do it. Anything that can lessen the blow of September and a full teaching timetable! I did the School Direct route and I had a much higher teaching load on placement than the classic PGCErs, and last September hit me like a train. (Jus sayin haha)
I completely understand. What are your thoughts on actually doing the job when you finish?

At the moment, absolute dread to be honest. I really cant see things improving at the moment.
Original post by kpwxx
In that situation I'd bring in the course handbook or wherever it says your hours required and say "Oh by the way I looked it u p and turns out were only meant to do 10-12 so we're sorted!" As if you thought they only planned on giving you more as they thought it might be needed for the course. Alternatively to the handbook you could email your tutor and ask how many hours are needed then do the same.

Also consider adding a couple of 'tasks' to your frees. Like saying "Oh, the uni/my tutor suggested I go observe X during a free" to show them the time is needed and remind them they shouldn't be taking it away.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, that's a good idea. Subtle but effective. I may mention the handbook to my mentor on Thursday and possibly doing some observations!

Original post by rachel.h
If you are ready for more hours and can cope with more hours, I suggest you do it. Anything that can lessen the blow of September and a full teaching timetable! I did the School Direct route and I had a much higher teaching load on placement than the classic PGCErs, and last September hit me like a train. (Jus sayin haha)

To be completely honest, because I don't want to teach anymore, I am just looking to get the pgce done as easily as possible without any unnecessary extra work. If I was going to be picking up an NQT timetable in September then I'd definitely see more hours as beneficial preparation though. I am stressed out enough on these hours. I cannot imagine doing double.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I echo what everyone else has said - go for it. At worst you just won't be invited to interview, but more likely you'll get some interview practice and may end up working at a school you really enjoy. I highly doubt they'd word an advert to discourage you - if they wanted to do that they likely would have asked your mentor to discuss it with you.

If you don't want to do the extra hours, then you definitely don't have to do them! I'd go with the ideas already suggested, particularly using your course handbook, and then if that fails e-mail your tutor. On my course they've had to wade in for a number of pupils being put upon by schools, and it tends to resolve itself quickly (some schools try to take advantage, but most just don't read the handbooks themselves and need a prod from the university to do so).
At the moment, absolute dread to be honest. I really cant see things improving at the moment.

This is so sad. I worry about what is going to happen to the profession.
This is so sad. I worry about what is going to happen to the profession.

Honestly thing im going to have declare a mental health day today. I just need a day to reset and think things through. Cant face going in and just need to call someone and talk stuff through about where im going. But i feel so guilty doing it
Honestly thing im going to have declare a mental health day today. I just need a day to reset and think things through. Cant face going in and just need to call someone and talk stuff through about where im going. But i feel so guilty doing it

You shouldn't feel guilty at all. It's ok to take a day to reset. I hope things get better for you. Aw man wish I could help :hugs:

Remember that you are doing a grand job and that it takes real guts and perseverance to do this course. You should be really proud of yourself.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending