The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4th place and not challenging for the title. Above par indeed foh

I'm looking at probably back to back cups and continuous top4 qualification?
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Meh... on the bright side less fixtures init.

You can focus on securing 4th place:wink:
Meh... on the bright side less fixtures init.

Like two games would have made much of a difference
Original post by TH3-FL45H
tbf there's no point getting angry now. At the weekend you probably would have been happy with 3rd/2nd and the FA cup seeing as you thought we had no chance, but now that we almost did it, youre thinking differently

Good post, thank you.
Original post by Zürich
I'm looking at probably back to back cups and continuous top4 qualification?

Top 4 is not good enough this season , we must finish second and be right up in Chelsea's faces, hit the ground running next season. Also, the cup is a must.

We have to do this and make the right signings. The winning mentality is an absolute must. It is a gradual thing.
Like two games would have made much of a difference

So? It took one game to get Theo out for nearly a bloody year. One game for Debuchy to become non existent. It makes a difference.
So? It took one game to get Theo out for nearly a bloody year. One game for Debuchy to become non existent. It makes a difference.

Freak accidents that rarely happen. What are the chances it happens again?
Good post, thank you.

I agree with him, but, I have not really complained about the result personally, knew we did not deserve to go through based on the first leg.

I am more for defending our players and club. We get the most stick in the league and it is unjustified. We are the stress ball that people use when they feel inadequacies with their own clubs. Not a victim "mentality", more a sad reality.
Can we please not refer to "just top 4" please? I view finishing as close to Chelsea as possible as vital for the mentality of the team and setting a fighting spirit for next season. And a cup win against hopefully Liverpool. We should hope Liverpool get in the final so that we have the chance to beat them and gain more winning experience in the big games.
Tbh everytime we have a bad result it is the same idiotic Arsenal fans who say "yeahhh Wenger out , woo". If you are going to complain everytime we lose then do not feel entitled to celebrating with us when we win.
Now that we are 1 point behind man city, 2nd is definitely the aim despite their being no difference between 2nd and 3rd. We haven't finished 2nd since 2005!
You're missing the point, the tie was lost in the first half. Better to see what we've just witnessed than an effortless and dross performance. I never expected anything out of the game so I'm not that disappointed. I showed my disgust after the first leg so no point raging now. There's no point repeating what seems to be like our anthem after every loss, it won't change things. Roll on with the FA cup and a top four finish is all I ask now.

Usually, not specifically today.

I'm really not. The first was lost because Giroud couldn't finish his dinner and our naivety once again. How many times have we been caught out because we've gone hell for leather in the dying moments of a game, only to get caught out on the break? Too many to count. Something is systemically wrong at the club with this weak arse mentality and stupidity when it comes to the big moments and needs to be addressed.

You seem to be confusing my passion with anger. I'm not angry, I'm disappointed. On top of that, the attitude of "well we played well, we nearly did it, I'm proud of the boys" Is entirely what is wrong with the club. Being Nearly FC won't win us nothing. I can't be happy with that performance even if it was a win because ultimately we are out, and at the hands of a team we really should have been beating. The same thing keeps on being repeated because it keeps on happening.

But not today. Some of the issues the team have are due to Wenger, and because I'm not blinded by what he did 10 years ago, I am able to acknowledge them, not my fault I'm in 2015 and not 2005.
Freak accidents that rarely happen. What are the chances it happens again?

I'm not God, I don't know.

Original post by Tom_Ford
I agree with him, but, I have not really complained about the result personally, knew we did not deserve to go through based on the first leg.

I am more for defending our players and club. We get the most stick in the league and it is unjustified. We are the stress ball that people use when they feel inadequacies with their own clubs. Not a victim "mentality", more a sad reality.

Exactly this. We got a gift of a draw and unfortunately didn't grasp the opportunity. Monaco have done very well and they dererved to go through, don't know why it's so bad that I merely just appreciate the work the club has put in tonight trying to rectify the first mistake. Tonight was all about redemption, and although it wasn't done through qualification, you can't be angry with the performance. But anyway, what do I know.

Nah it's cool, let Arsenal continue to be the league's scapegoat.
just a question. Who here actually thinks wenger should/not be in charge next season and why? I admire him and what he's done for us but I think he's taken us as far as his ability and mentality can
I'm not God, I don't know.

It was a rhetorical question.
Original post by ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
just a question. Who here actually thinks wenger should/not be in charge next season and why? I admire him and what he's done for us but I think he's taken us as far as his ability and mentality can

Shouldn't be in a job now. Should have walked away after the cup win last season. He won't go anytime soon so it's a bit of a nothing conversation, we are stuck with him until 2017.
Should be seeing as there is absolutely no-one we can get who is better than him
Now that we are 1 point behind man city, 2nd is definitely the aim despite their being no difference between 2nd and 3rd. We haven't finished 2nd since 2005!

It is more a psychological state that we have to get ourselves into. That we are going to push Chelsea right down to the wire. Finishing as close to the top as possible is more important than people think psychologically and in the national consciousness. We need to be right up in their faces as their nearest and most fierce challengers. If we finish 3rd or 4th again it is same old, same old, and the urgency is not really there carrying on to next season.

Those big games we have left in the league? They are cup finals in terms of symbolic significance.
Basically gonna mayweather all of these meltdowns

Bring on Newcastle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Peggles_*
I'm really not. The first was lost because Giroud couldn't finish his dinner and our naivety once again. How many times have we been caught out because we've gone hell for leather in the dying moments of a game, only to get caught out on the break? Too many to count. Something is systemically wrong at the club with this weak arse mentality and stupidity when it comes to the big moments and needs to be addressed.

You seem to be confusing my passion with anger. I'm not angry, I'm disappointed. On top of that, the attitude of "well we played well, we nearly did it, I'm proud of the boys" Is entirely what is wrong with the club. Being Nearly FC won't win us nothing. I can't be happy with that performance even if it was a win because ultimately we are out, and at the hands of a team we really should have been beating. The same thing keeps on being repeated because it keeps on happening.

But not today. Some of the issues the team have are due to Wenger, and because I'm not blinded by what he did 10 years ago, I am able to acknowledge them, not my fault I'm in 2015 and not 2005.

Alright you know what, I'm too tired. Everyone is thinking what you've said above there's no disagreeing to an extent but not everyone can be bothered to keep banging on about it after every defeat. If I critise the performance over two legs will that make us qualify? If there's some magic remedy available for just that then I'm all for it.

Sometimes, even if you don't want to I get that, I prefer just to give a little praise for effort. If that makes me a bad fan then by all means, call me a bad fan.

Also just to clarify, this isn't anything personal towards you in case it comes across like that.

Even if we got past Monaco, then what. Same old same old. It just allows us to say "We got to the QF this year", that's all. We're miles off winning the competition for now.

Latest