The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheECY98
GCSE: 6A*s 3As 3Bs
A-Levels: Biology, Chemistry, Geography, French (intending to drop French if everything goes to plan)

Course: Biological Sciences

College: Don't really know yet, but I like Hertford, Magdalen and Jesus :smile:

I think I did really under-perform at GCSEs in terms of science subjects- Biology-A, Chemistry-A(2 UMS off an A*), Maths(1 off an A :'( ), ICT and Physics all Bs. All my arts subjects were A*s, but I think that just shows I have a more creative than logical mindset, yet I truly love biology. Will the B in maths be really detrimental if I choose to apply?

It is certainly not going to be helpful in light of the fact that the course has a fair maths element. I would suggest getting your school in their reference to explain how close your GCSE's were to the grade boundaries and how your teachers all believe those grades are not reflective of your true ability in the subjects (or words to that effect). That is probably the most constructive thing you can do.

I would encourage you to still apply especially as Biological Sciences has a high acceptance rate relative to many courses.
Original post by DylanJ42
GCSE grades: 3A*, 4A, 3B

A-Levels: Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics and Computing (hoping for AAAA at AS and A*A*AA at alevel)

Course: Mathematics (surprise surprise
:tongue:)

College: i don't know/mind, Oxford is Oxford after all

My Bs at GCSE were in history, technology and english. As these subjects are unrelated to Mathematics would they overlook them? Those Bs are my main worry because I really want to go to Oxford and I feel they may make me seem like a weak candidate compared to others! :frown:

As Noble says, they won't care about the B's at all. Literally, if they start turning down people who are gifted at maths because they aren't good with a hacksaw in DT or didn't excel at English then I think the world will have gone made.

Some courses are fairly obsessive about A*'s across your GCSE subject range (medicine, law etc) but Maths is not one of them.

Apply, you are genuinely at no disadvantage at all (this is coming from someone who never hesitates to tell people they have no hope I should add)
Hey, thinking of applying to oxford to study philosophy& modern languages/ philosophy, psychology & linguistics- but not sure if my grades are quite good enough!

GCSEs: 5A*s, 4 As and a B, A Levels: A* A A (French, Irish & Music), planning on taking a year out to do A Level English Lit.

I've already had a year's experience at uni, but it's at a music conservatoire so not exactly related to my subject of choice!

I'll also be a mature student by the time the course starts- will this count for/ against me?

Cheers!
Original post by jenkinsear
As Noble says, they won't care about the B's at all. Literally, if they start turning down people who are gifted at maths because they aren't good with a hacksaw in DT or didn't excel at English then I think the world will have gone made.

Some courses are fairly obsessive about A*'s across your GCSE subject range (medicine, law etc) but Maths is not one of them.

Apply, you are genuinely at no disadvantage at all (this is coming from someone who never hesitates to tell people they have no hope I should add)

thank you for your reply, this makes me feel a lot better about applying. Let's hope I can get top marks in my subjects at AS.
GCSE grades: 8A* 2A (both one mark off, which was annoying), and also an A* and an A done in year 9, within a year, sigh.
A-Levels: Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Mathematics (predicted all A's at AS, then all A*'s A2) , also Further Maths next year at AS level.
Course: I have my heart set on Medicine, but Chemistry is a massive option to me!
College: In love with Merton and University, though any of the historical buildings will do me

What do you think my chances for both courses would be, comparatively? Anyone from either college have an opinion on accommodation, student life, etc.? Also, just who else is applying? aha!
:cute:
Original post by Roxyelson
GCSE grades: 8A* 2A (both one mark off, which was annoying), and also an A* and an A done in year 9, within a year, sigh.
A-Levels: Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Mathematics (predicted all A's at AS, then all A*'s A2) , also Further Maths next year at AS level.
Course: I have my heart set on Medicine, but Chemistry is a massive option to me!
College: In love with Merton and University, though any of the historical buildings will do me

What do you think my chances for both courses would be, comparatively? Anyone from either college have an opinion on accommodation, student life, etc.? Also, just who else is applying? aha!

Your percentage of A*s is slightly below that of the average successful candidate for Medicine. Statistically speaking you would have a better chance for Chemistry.

However, there is no point applying for a course just because you have a higher chance of getting onto it. You need to have a think about it and decide what course you really want to do and then sensibly think about your options. Your grades are excellent so it may be that you apply to Oxford for Chemistry or decide to apply elsewhere for Medicine.

If you have any questions about Univ let me know as I'm a current student there :smile:
Just as a note, I have renamed the thread as you are no longer hopefuls but coming up to the admissions process now!
Original post by Lucilou101
Just as a note, I have renamed the thread as you are no longer hopefuls but coming up to the admissions process now!

Original post by Lucilou101
Your percentage of A*s is slightly below that of the average successful candidate for Medicine. Statistically speaking you would have a better chance for Chemistry.

However, there is no point applying for a course just because you have a higher chance of getting onto it. You need to have a think about it and decide what course you really want to do and then sensibly think about your options. Your grades are excellent so it may be that you apply to Oxford for Chemistry or decide to apply elsewhere for Medicine.

If you have any questions about Univ let me know as I'm a current student there :smile:

Agree you should first think seriously about which course is best for you. On grades though, there is no aptitude test for Chemistry whereas there is one for Medicine. This means that Chemistry will attach a bit more weight to prior attainment and predicted grades.
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Agree you should first think seriously about which course is best for you. On grades though, there is no aptitude test for Chemistry whereas there is one for Medicine. This means that Chemistry will attach a bit more weight to prior attainment and predicted grades.

Brasenose have a TSR profile?! Things have definitely modernised since my time at BNC :wink:

Brasenose admissions and Lucilou have both given you good advice.

Though I am curious whether medicine is the right course for you if you're not totally committed to it. On a purely anecdotal basis the people I generally found struggled with medicine at Oxford were those who had only picked it for careerist reasons or because of parental pressure or simply because it sounded a respectable option. 6 years (or 3 as some of those people found out- people do get kicked off medicine if they aren't up to the standard) is a very long time to do something you have doubts about.
Brasenose have a TSR profile?! Things have definitely modernised since my time at BNC :wink:

We do indeed have a TSR profile. It's a new thing, we're just keen to make sure that information and advice given is accurate.
Original post by personage
IS there any truth in the idea that colleges at top of Norrington League, Magdalen and Merton, put more pressure on their applicants to get Firsts. If you don't respond well to pressure, would it be better to apply to places like Hertford, LMH, st Peter's, with a more laid back vibe?:colondollar:

I've not heard of this being a problem before (and I've been in Oxford for 13 years!). All colleges expect their students to do well and want them to get firsts, however, it's generally the students that tend to put pressure on themselves to do well - it's a matter of pride. If you're fortunate (and bright) enough to get into Oxford, you may as well set your sights high. I don't think you should let this notion of "college" pressure dictate which college you apply to; just go with whichever you like the best. Open Days are coming up in early July...
Thank you for that! And is there any point trying to work out which colleges have a particularly good reputation for certain subjects?
Also! I've heard that there is a super-level competitiveness within Oxford -- ie if you get into Merton/Magalden/St John's people think you're brainier than if you got into Pembroke, St Hilda's?
IS there any truth in the idea that colleges at top of Norrington League, Magdalen and Merton, put more pressure on their applicants to get Firsts. If you don't respond well to pressure, would it be better to apply to places like Hertford, LMH, st Peter's, with a more laid back vibe?:colondollar:

No. In reality, it's specific tutors that determine this, not the overall college. For my own subject, I know Merton's tutors are significantly more laid back than my own (and the students get away with a collection performance that would result in a visit to the Warden at my college - that said, my college also does well on the Norrington table). I just don't think there's any real correlation. I think if you don't respond well to pressure, it would be better not applying to Oxford, to be blunt :lol:

Thank you for that! And is there any point trying to work out which colleges have a particularly good reputation for certain subjects?
Also! I've heard that there is a super-level competitiveness within Oxford -- ie if you get into Merton/Magalden/St John's people think you're brainier than if you got into Pembroke, St Hilda's?

No, there's no point, because how good colleges are for specific subjects is again dependent on how good the tutors are (assuming it's a subject where the first couple of years' of tutorials are held by the college tutors) and you can't determine how good a tutor is on paper. As for your last point, I've never witnessed that kind of 'competitiveness' and it's largely because it isn't true.

The best way to decide on a college is to visit them. The current students will tell you the truth! The course will be the same within Oxford and whether one college does better than another will be dependent on year groups and which tutors are teaching at the time. This will be changeable from year to year, so I wouldn't get bogged down with this!

Most students are just glad to not be rejected. There's so much reallocation goes on once you apply that it's pretty usual for an applicant to end up at a different college to the one they applied to. I wouldn't pay any attention to any inter-college snobbery (if it even exists!). All Oxford students are brainy and the ones I've met are generally quite nice people too!
Thank you! x
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
We do indeed have a TSR profile. It's a new thing, we're just keen to make sure that information and advice given is accurate.

That's good to see, I hope more Colleges follow your lead.
That's good to see, I hope more Colleges follow your lead.

We hope you follow our lead & get yourself an avatar :smile:

I actually did, and have now finished, medicine at Merton. I was also very torn between medicine and chemistry right up until applying, and actually did the same a-levels too uncannily. I think your main issue at this stage is not regarding Oxford:

Chemistry and medicine are two completely different courses. Chemistry is a degree similar to any other really. Medicine is a career which lasts the rest of your life for most. Have you researched what being a doctor is like? Have you experienced hospital life, or volunteered for an extended period? Its a huge decision.

Putting Oxford aside, remember how competitive medicine is - 60-65% of applicants get no offers at all. Voluntary work/work experience is expected, as is a strong personal statement focusing on your clinical and caring experience. Wording things wrongly here can literally change your life. I did not get it right and my only offer was Oxford.

The question you asked was for opinions on college choice (about the least important thing ever). The dilemma you've actually proposed is literally what the rest of your life is going to be like. You need to do a lot of research and think about where you see your life going!

My experience was actually the opposite - the top performing colleges can afford to relax whereas some of the lower performing ones are trying to force their performance upwards. I was a terrible student and didn't do any work until exams were looming. Despite this Merton's only action was to organise a meeting with one of the welfare people to check I wasn't depressed (I wasn't) and that was it. At many other colleges failing to get a certain grade in mock exams results in you having to have meetings/retake the mock under threat of being forced on a year out or even kicked out entirely (rare).

The main thing that correlates with college performance is actually college wealth.

I would try to gauge which tutors are good from talking to current students. 'Reputation' isn't really important though.

I have never heard of that.
OXBRIDGE Q&A SESSION TONIGHT

9-10pm on Twitter - search the hashtags #CambTweet and #OxTweet! Questions about Oxbridge, your course, or university in general? Ask current Oxbridge students directly tonight in this joint question hour!

Latest

Trending

Trending