The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Happy to answer any questions on Bournemouth and TV Production.

Hello,

My name is Gemma and I am currently a first year student at Bournemouth University studying BA Television Production.

As the deadline for Ucas was yesterday and I know a lot of people have interviews coming up, I thought I would start a new thread where people could ask me questions about Bournemouth University and Television Production.

Good luck with all your applications!
Gemma
Reply 1
Hi Gemma,

I've been offered a conditional place for Television Production and I'm currently trying to decide whether I should make it my firm choice. How are you finding the course so far? Does it live up to the amazing reputation it has? :biggrin: Have you come across anything you don't like about the course?
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Original post by Ellie~
Hi Gemma,

I've been offered a conditional place for Television Production and I'm currently trying to decide whether I should make it my firm choice. How are you finding the course so far? Does it live up to the amazing reputation it has? :biggrin: Have you come across anything you don't like about the course?

Hi Ellie,

I honestly love the course! We our out filming all the time and use the studio a lot. This term for example we have to make a music show, a fashion show and two 'lunch time' magazine shows. For location we then had to make a 3-5 minuite fiction peice and a 3-5 minuite factual peice. Its busy but great fun and such a good way to learn all the different roles.

If you don't know much technically don't worry because that is all taught to you. We have workshops on camera skills and editing to get everyone up to speed.

We do a bit of theory but its not to much. For this whole year we have only had to submit 3 essays so its very managable!

I can see why Bournemouth has got such a good reputation as the facalities are very good and staff all know what they are talking about as they have been in the industry themselves.

I can't actually think of something that I dislike about the course because its exceeded my own expectations. Im sure your love it as well if you come here!

Gemma :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by GemmaJewell2
Hi Ellie,

I honestly love the course! We our out filming all the time and use the studio a lot. This term for example we have to make a music show, a fashion show and two 'lunch time' magazine shows. For location we then had to make a 3-5 minuite fiction peice and a 3-5 minuite factual peice. Its busy but great fun and such a good way to learn all the different roles.

If you don't know much technically don't worry because that is all taught to you. We have workshops on camera skills and editing to get everyone up to speed.

We do a bit of theory but its not to much. For this whole year we have only had to submit 3 essays so its very managable!

I can see why Bournemouth has got such a good reputation as the facalities are very good and staff all know what they are talking about as they have been in the industry themselves.

I can't actually think of something that I dislike about the course because its exceeded my own expectations. Im sure your love it as well if you come here!

Gemma :biggrin:

Oh awesome! Thank you :smile: Also, how many hours do you spend in lectures/filming/etc every day? For example, a lot of courses have 9am-5pm hours every weekday because there's a lot of work to do. Is it similar at Bournemouth?
Reply 4
Oh, I have a few more questions :smile: How many people are in the year on the course? Will each student have a chance to meet everyone or is it one of those courses where you don't meet half of your coursemates for the whole 3 years? And I've heard that there are some exams but I don't know what they're actually on. Is it knowledge of technical aspects or is it more about theory etc? Do they count for a lot of the grade? Also, in my interview I was told that if you fall behind even a little bit in the course, you're pretty much screwed as it's really hard to catch up. Is that really the case? :s-smilie: Sorry to bombard you with questions, haha.
Original post by Ellie~
Oh, I have a few more questions :smile: How many people are in the year on the course? Will each student have a chance to meet everyone or is it one of those courses where you don't meet half of your coursemates for the whole 3 years? And I've heard that there are some exams but I don't know what they're actually on. Is it knowledge of technical aspects or is it more about theory etc? Do they count for a lot of the grade? Also, in my interview I was told that if you fall behind even a little bit in the course, you're pretty much screwed as it's really hard to catch up. Is that really the case? :s-smilie: Sorry to bombard you with questions, haha.

Hi Ellie,

Sorry for the late reply!

I would say it has changed every semester. At the beginning of the year we had more contact hours than we do now. At first we was in nearly every day broken up like: Mondays theory lectures and seminars, Tuesday and Wednesdays seminars and workshops (camera and editing) and then Thursday and Friday would be filming or studio days. However, this of course will differ for every year!

Even now, when are contact hours are less, it is still suggested to go into uni to meet with groups and organize pre-production for your next shoot.

In our year I believe there is around 80 of us. You definitely will meet everyone. There are three semesters in the year and every new semester we have changed groups, which is a great way to meet people and with the course being heavily practical your get to know your course mates well :smile:

We had a few exams in January. These included some practical tests about editing, camera and studio and then one multi-choice exam. I think this counted just for 1 unit. The three practical exams were 50% of the unit and the multi-choice was 50%. However, we don't have any summer exams now and I haven't hear anything about there being any more in the following years.

Technically I think it's ok to catch up, in terms of how to edit, use a camera or do all the roles in the studio. However, work load wise, we do have a lot of projects going on, usually overlapping a little. Therefore it is quite important to be on the ball otherwise it may get a bit of top of you. However the workload is very manageable and everyone still does outside activities and goes out a lot, so there isn't a need to stress about it. Also the first year doesn't count, but you do need to pass!

Let me know if you have anymore questions :biggrin:
Gemma :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending