The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Bournemouth University Official Q&A

Welcome to the Bournemouth University (BU) official rep profile. We're on hand to answer all your questions about BU, so please ask away!

Our student ambassadors have first-hand experience of life at BU, so they can give you the inside scoop on what it's like to study here. Whether you want to know about night-life, accommodation or where to get the best pizza, these are the people to ask and this is where you can do just that!

Chris (CBowditch)

Chris is in his first year studying BA (Hons) Marketing Communications in our Media School.

Ailish (Ailish Myland)

Ailish is a final year student studying BSc (Hons) Sports Development and Coaching Sciences in The School of Tourism.

James

James is a postgraduate student studying an MSc in Sport Management. He also studied BA (Hons) Events Management at BU and has spent time working for the Great Britain Rowing Team.

Alice (AliBonce)

Alice is a postgraduate student studying an MA in Post Production Editing. She first studied BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism at BU and is now back, hoping to break in to documentary making and video editing.

Michelle (Mish Lilly)

Michelle is a mature student in her third year of BA (Hons) Social Work.

Gemma (GemmaJewell2)

Gemma is in her first year studying BA (Hons) Television Production in our Media School.

Plus you'll see other current students popping up around TSR from time to time, so look out for them!

For all the nitty-gritty questions about BU, our staff members are here to help with the facts and figures you might need to help you make your decision about where to study.

Please feel free to post your questions in this thread, or if you prefer you can send us a private message. We'll aim to get back to you ASAP but please allow a few days for a response.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey, just giving this thread a bump :bump: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help you get more responses. :yy:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h:
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Reply 2
Hey, did you of you go through extra to apply, just wondering if you'd know the rough time i should expect to hear back by?
Reply 3
Original post by Hazzer619
Hey, did you of you go through extra to apply, just wondering if you'd know the rough time i should expect to hear back by?

Hi Hazzer619,

The best bet if you'd like to talk to someone at the university is to pop an email over to [email protected]
They should be able to answer that for you, or find someone who can :smile:

Alice
Original post by Bournemouth University
Welcome to the Bournemouth University (BU) official rep profile. We're on hand to answer all your questions about BU, so please ask away!

Our student ambassadors have first-hand experience of life at BU, so they can give you the inside scoop on what it's like to study here. Whether you want to know about night-life, accommodation or where to get the best pizza, these are the people to ask and this is where you can do just that!

Chris (CBowditch)

Chris is in his first year studying BA (Hons) Marketing Communications in our Media School.

Ailish (Ailish Myland)

Ailish is a final year student studying BSc (Hons) Sports Development and Coaching Sciences in The School of Tourism.

James

James is a postgraduate student studying an MSc in Sport Management. He also studied BA (Hons) Events Management at BU and has spent time working for the Great Britain Rowing Team.

Alice (AliBonce)

Alice is a postgraduate student studying an MA in Post Production Editing. She first studied BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism at BU and is now back, hoping to break in to documentary making and video editing.

Michelle (Mish Lilly)

Michelle is a mature student in her third year of BA (Hons) Social Work.

Gemma (GemmaJewell2)

Gemma is in her first year studying BA (Hons) Television Production in our Media School.

Plus you'll see other current students popping up around TSR from time to time, so look out for them!

For all the nitty-gritty questions about BU, our staff members are here to help with the facts and figures you might need to help you make your decision about where to study.

Please feel free to post your questions in this thread, or if you prefer you can send us a private message. We'll aim to get back to you ASAP but please allow a few days for a response.

Do you think there'll be any spaces in clearing for Law?
Original post by Bournemouth University

Just want to say that Chris (CBowditch) & Amy (amypotts) have been a great help to a lot of us.

They have answered a lot of my (annoying) questions and have given great advice!

thank you :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lachachacha
Do you think there'll be any spaces in clearing for Law?

Hello,

Thanks for your message! It's difficult to say at this point, but the good news is that you can register for updates on our website.

Something else you could do is like our Bournemouth University Undergrads 2015 Facebook page, where we'll keep you updated with news.

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any more questions!

Katie
Original post by lipslikemorphine
Just want to say that Chris (CBowditch) & Amy (amypotts) have been a great help to a lot of us.

They have answered a lot of my (annoying) questions and have given great advice!

Thanks for letting us know! Glad you've found it useful to talk to some current students and that they've been helpful.

Katie
Original post by lipslikemorphine

Thanks :biggrin: and if anybody did have any questions (doesn't matter how silly you think they are) I would be happy to help :biggrin:
Hi, i'm looking to hopefully do events management next year (Sept 2016) and i was hoping i could get some info on what the course is like and how much work placement there is overall etc. Just kind info about what people doing the course think?? I'm looking at several unis and it's hard to narrow down choices because a lot of the courses have effectively the same kind of modules xx
Original post by Burns98
Hi, i'm looking to hopefully do events management next year (Sept 2016) and i was hoping i could get some info on what the course is like and how much work placement there is overall etc. Just kind info about what people doing the course think?? I'm looking at several unis and it's hard to narrow down choices because a lot of the courses have effectively the same kind of modules xx

Hi there,

My name's Bradley and I’m a third year placement student at Bournemouth University studying Events Management.
Studying events was something that caught my eye whilst taking my GCSE’s and I spent a lot of time researching all of the different institutions that offered the course. Having already completed two years at Bournemouth, I can tell you that choosing BU was the best decision that I've ever made!

Considering that events is a relatively new discipline at undergraduate level, Bournemouth has become a frontrunner in providing a well-rounded events course which is also complimented with a MSc course if you want to continue at postgraduate level. The town has a real students buzz and there’s always plenty going on, including some brilliant events. Bournemouth Air Festival for example is a fantastic opportunity for you to gain first-hand experience (bournemouthair.co.uk), and the town also boasts a successful entertainment venue (bic.co.uk) alongside a newly crowned premier league football club.

More importantly, the sandwich element of the degree gives you the best opportunity to gain vital skills and experience. This is a 40-week placement that you undertake in your third year. Some of the students on my course are spending their year out working at the likes of Hewlett-Packard, Apple and AFC Bournemouth. This is thanks to the fantastic links that the university has with the industry. Best of all, this year is paid! Probably more than you would expect too... As a tip, I would start volunteering/working at events before university or during your first year, to give yourself the best chance of landing a fantastic placement.

The course itself gives you both the opportunity to progress as an academic but also provides the hands on experience that is needed to work in the events industry. In your second year, you will work in a small team and put on a live event. Everything is run by you. You have to manage your budgets, marketing and logistics using all of the skills that you have learned along the way. It gives you the most authentic events experience and all the money you raise goes to your charity, which gives you a bit of a feel good factor.

The school of tourism at BU has consistently performed highly and we are in the top 10 for hospitality, events and tourism (Guardian League Tables 2016). There are over 2,200 undergraduate students in the school who are supported by 80 academics and professors. They’ve also written lots of the literature that you will use, as over 70 books have been authored by the staff. The school runs over 100 events and professional engagement activities every year, so a great opportunity to get involved with those.

There's loads more to find out, so if you have any questions then please ask.If you haven't paid Bournemouth a visit then I suggest that you come and have a look around to see what all the fuss is about. There’s an open day coming up in July and some more to come early in the next academic year.

Best of luck in your future endeavours.
Hi I have applies to do Sociology and Anthropology and I was wondering how it works? Will I be going to two different sets of classes or will it just be one block of classes for both subjects. Thanks:smile:
Original post by TheIndecent
Hi I have applies to do Sociology and Anthropology and I was wondering how it works? Will I be going to two different sets of classes or will it just be one block of classes for both subjects. Thanks:smile:

Hi,

Great to hear that you've applied to study with us! For Sociology and Anthropology you'll study various units. Some will be shared with Sociology BA (Hons) and Anthropology BA (hons) students. Even though your course sits within the Faculty of Health & Social Sciences, some modules are jointly delivered with our Faculty of Science & Technology, so you'll benefit from anthropology knowledge from academics with exceptional expertise in the area.

You'll be registering for one course and all the other students on the course will do the same, but you'll also have some option units that will be combined with Archaeology students too.

You can have a look at the course units on our website.

I hope that helps explain everything for you. Looks like you'll be doing some really interesting modules!

Let me know if you've got any more questions.
Katie
Hi :smile:, I've got an unconditional offer to study international hospitality management, and I just wanted to ask if anyone knew when all the first years actually have to move in? - Is there a freshers week or do we start the academic year the same time as everyone else? Also, is there any way in possibly seeing who our new flat mates are going to be?

Thank you so much

Julia
Original post by juliaraho
Hi :smile:, I've got an unconditional offer to study international hospitality management, and I just wanted to ask if anyone knew when all the first years actually have to move in? - Is there a freshers week or do we start the academic year the same time as everyone else? Also, is there any way in possibly seeing who our new flat mates are going to be?

Thank you so much

Julia[/QUO

I'm sure I read somewhere that moving in weekend is the 19th and 20th of September and also when you go on room search on the application bit it shows who the other rooms are taken up by, at the minute its just me in my digs which is a bit awkward haha :biggrin:
Original post by Jon Organ
I'm sure I read somewhere that moving in weekend is the 19th and 20th of September and also when you go on room search on the application bit it shows who the other rooms are taken up by, at the minute its just me in my digs which is a bit awkward haha :biggrin:

Thanks Jon :smile: Yeah there were two people who had already booked their place in the flat before I did, so I was able to see their profiles but I can't anymore because we can't log in anymore, and I also was hoping to see the profiles of people who had booked the room after I did. But oh well if there's no way of viewing that I guess it will just have to be a surprise :smile:
Hi again. I was just wondering what happens on results day for people with conditional offers and accommodation ?
Hi again. I was just wondering what happens on results day for people with conditional offers and accommodation ?

Hi TheIndecent,

I'm currently at BU, and whilst I'm not fully in-the-know there's a bit I've found out - Is Bournemouth University your firm choice? If so then you can register and book accommodation. There's some information here:
https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/discover/accommodation/essential-information/how-apply-accommodation#

I hope this helps. If you have further questions then I'd recommend contacting askBU - they're really friendly and helpful. Either email them ([email protected]) or drop them a call (01202 961916).

Best of luck with getting your grades! If you have any more questions I'll try my best to help!

Ali
Original post by AliBonce
Hi TheIndecent,

I'm currently at BU, and whilst I'm not fully in-the-know there's a bit I've found out - Is Bournemouth University your firm choice? If so then you can register and book accommodation. There's some information here:
https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/discover/accommodation/essential-information/how-apply-accommodation#

I hope this helps. If you have further questions then I'd recommend contacting askBU - they're really friendly and helpful. Either email them ([email protected]) or drop them a call (01202 961916).

Best of luck with getting your grades! If you have any more questions I'll try my best to help!

Ali

Hi thanks but the website doesn't provide much info for CF students :s-smilie:
Hi thanks but the website doesn't provide much info for CF students :s-smilie:

Hi,

You'll get an email about when you can complete the different stages of the accommodation application, but you won't be able to complete stage 2 (booking your accommodation) until you have an unconditional firm offer, so for you that would probably be on or after results day. You'll get an email telling you when you'll be able to complete stage 2, so just look out for that.

I hope that helps!

Katie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending