The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kater Murr
Poor kid. She sounds like a dude. Maybe one way that you could help her would be to look for places she can make more friends similar to her outside of school - but then I guess if she likes stuff like tabletop roleplaying she already has some of these? It might or might not help with the anger issues, but it would be great for her anyway. I know how tough it can be not knowing anyone who shares your interests. Otherwise, no idea what to suggest :frown: I hope that seeing the school psychologist does help, but it could also be that she's just got a hot temper - and there isn't always much to do about that!

She just roleplays at home with us, she really doesn't have any other friends :frown:
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
She just roleplays at home with us, she really doesn't have any other friends :frown:

Definitely try and find some other kids for her to meet. Have a search for homeschooled kids or something in your area and look for kids with similar interests, or maybe find some clubs away from school? It could be that a lot of her problems come from feeling lonely, and even if they don't it'll be great for her anyway.
is there an underlying bullying problem at school?

My best friend at school was horrificaaly bullied and had a similar temper, in the ed her mum moved her schools for a complete fresh start and it did the world of good!

Agree about perhaps finding an out of school club.
I'm sorry that Lydia is having such a difficult time at school. Do you think that they are doing everything that they could to support her? You would think that the children who were winding her up would also get in trouble as that might put them off doing it in the first place.

My news is that Isaac is now crawling.... I really really need to baby proof now.
I was thinking about this earlier and wanted to add that her interests and likes are unusual now but in a few years once she is at secondary/high school there will be a lot of kids with similar interests. She seems very mature for her age and may just need to wait for other kids to catch up slightly. They definitely should not be getting away with provoking her though!
I need to try and figure what I'm going to do about work.

I know I can't return to my current job, it's a nightmare in terms of over 5 days I will do 2 hours first thing, 1 hour lunchtime, 2 hours night time. It won't work at all with child care, plus OH is on shifts so really need to be on set hours. I have no idea where to start looking or how to not make us worse off as childcare will eat most if not more of my wages but I don't think OH earns enough to support us both. Which it was simple to work out!
So Chelsea had her 4 month check and seems to have a problem with her eye :frown: Being referred to an optomologist (sp?) because it seems bad but the eye socket doesn't seem to have formed right.

Asked the GP if it may have been from where she was squashed in such a obscure position and she thinks it could be. Feel so like I've let her down even though I know that is silly.
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
So Chelsea had her 4 month check and seems to have a problem with her eye :frown: Being referred to an optomologist (sp?) because it seems bad but the eye socket doesn't seem to have formed right.

Asked the GP if it may have been from where she was squashed in such a obscure position and she thinks it could be. Feel so like I've let her down even though I know that is silly.

I'm sorry. Hopefully it isn't anything to worry about and the ophthalmologist will be able to help. Are they worried about her vision?
Original post by randdom
I'm sorry. Hopefully it isn't anything to worry about and the ophthalmologist will be able to help. Are they worried about her vision?

We think she can see fine but gp just cant put her finger on it. Poor munchkin :frown:

chelseaeye.jpg
I have the mother in law from hell :indiff:
Hi guys,

I am currently 18 weeks pregnant. I drove a bit fast over speed bumps yesterday. I mean I didn't realise until later that I did. I'm going paranoid have I harmed my baby? I have a gp appointment today but could I also state this and would the gp check for the heartbeat?
My midwife has been checking my heartbeat successfully since 14 weeks.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys,

I am currently 18 weeks pregnant. I drove a bit fast over speed bumps yesterday. I mean I didn't realise until later that I did. I'm going paranoid have I harmed my baby? I have a gp appointment today but could I also state this and would the gp check for the heartbeat?
My midwife has been checking my heartbeat successfully since 14 weeks.

There is no reason to think that going over the speed bumps would have harmed the baby. The GP might be able to listen in but it would be tricky if they don't have easy access to something which which to listen in. I wouldn't worry too much if you haven't had any bleeding or fluid gushes.

If it reassures you I fell reasonably hard onto my front at about 22 weeks and everything was fine they are quite well cushioned in there!
Thank you for the reassurance.
No I haven't had any blood or fluid gushes. But still very paranoid, I hope the doctor does have something? My midwives are in the same gp surgery as well bur only work Tuesdays maybe i'll push the gp to borrow the equipment lol.
No I haven't had any blood or fluid gushes. But still very paranoid, I hope the doctor does have something? My midwives are in the same gp surgery as well bur only work Tuesdays maybe i'll push the gp to borrow the equipment lol.

Bear in mind that the GP may not use a Doppler very frequently and so might struggle to find the heart beat at that stage of pregnancy, which would probably make you more anxious!

Babies really are well cushioned inside you, and a few jolts on speedbumps is really unlikely to cause any kind of trouble. If you aren't bleeding or anything then I really don't think there's much to worry about.
I went over plenty of speedbumps without any issues. It's just an up/down movement without direct impact, you're in the middle trimester so still plenty of cushioning/space to move around & you haven't had any symptoms..?

Original post by Helenia
Bear in mind that the GP may not use a Doppler very frequently and so might struggle to find the heart beat at that stage of pregnancy, which would probably make you more anxious!

:ditto: Some GPs may refer you directly to your maternity unit walk in/triage equivalent.

In general although one off listens with a doppler can be nice for the parents they aren't hugely helpful for concerns about well being compared to other indicators like pattern of baby's movements (have they started yet - might still be a bit early for 1st baby?) or doing a full CTG tracing on baby's heartbeat over a longer period of time where it's easier to look at the heartrate pattern.
I've heard stories of people who bought their own home dopplers and were falsely reassured in situations when they should've gone to hospital for proper assessment - but then also people who've bought their own & couldn't use them properly so caused constant panic!
Speed bumps are highly unlikely to have done any harm. I know what it's like to be so anxious in early-ish pregnancy though, but honestly you need to try to RELAX otherwise you will drive yourself mad. I used to constantly stress about everything but to say that the baby is well cushioned in there is an understatement.. the amount my midwife has to press to feel inside my womb what position my baby is in is enough to prove that, I couldn't believe it lol.

If it makes you feel any better I was involved in a car accident at 8 weeks or so weeks of pregnancy (at a point when miscarriage is a high risk) which resulted in a big jolt forward with seat belt on, and we've still got a healthy baby growing at 31 weeks :smile:

Plus remember, what may feel like a massive jolt to you (e.g. on speed bumps) will probably feel nothing more than a bit of a rumble to the baby because the baby is floating in water.

Also dopplers are not the best thing for reassurance at this stage because it is so hit and miss whether a heartbeat will be picked up and that could make you panic if a heartbeat can't be picked up.

x
(edited 9 years ago)

It's very common to have irrational fears during pregnancy and women often have quite wierd dreams about bad things happening to the baby. Try to relax and recognise this for the irrational fear that it is and that you'll have others as the pregnacy progresses. There are lots of speed bumps around and lots of pregnant women who have bumped over them without harm. Some extra magnesium in your diet might help the anxiety - dark chocolate is one source :smile:

Babies are resilient and rather selfish - they take first call on anything they need, they are well protected against mishap and a bump that doesn't harm you is probably not even felt by them.

Btw some women bleed in pregnancy at times when they would have had a period - while bleeding should mean seeing a doctor for advice even that wouldnt necessarily mean a problem.
Hey guys.

Thank you for the reassurance. I went to see a gp on Friday (never had her before). She made the receptionist look upstairs for a doppler and they found one. But it took her a while to find the heartbeat and I told her where the midwife usually finds it. Then she put it on an artery which was slow beating saying I think that is your artery then I told her to put it where midwife does and I heard a fast heartbeat. Doctor was unsure but I said I have been hearing heartbeat with the midwife almost every week since 14 weeks. She said she used to be a gynaecologist and switched professions.

She said as long as I didn't have any bleeding etc and to be honest I've been the usual since then. I have felt a few pokes at random times and I don't know if this is the baby or maybe a vein or something else? I'm 18 weeks and 3 days.

Sazzy890- That's true at my 12 week scan the baby was being stubborn and not rolling over lol so the sonographer kept pushing down really hard to take the water- neck measurement. I thought I was going to wet myself with how full my bladder was for the scan!

Just 11 more days till scan. BUT I do have a midwife appointment tomorrow :smile: Will hopefully get her to check. She's really good she immediatly found it at 14 weeks.
Got my BFP at the end of last week :smile: Puts me at 4+2... a long way to go - almost feels ridiculously early to be celebrating! Have already ended up on anti-emetics to try and control my nausea though... really, really hope they work!
Got my BFP at the end of last week :smile: Puts me at 4+2... a long way to go - almost feels ridiculously early to be celebrating! Have already ended up on anti-emetics to try and control my nausea though... really, really hope they work!

Aww, congratulations! Is this your first pregnancy?

Quick Reply

Latest