The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

A blind man is locked in a room, with no way to contact anyone or to know his surroundings.
He has 4 pills in his left pocket. 2 are red and 2 are black. He has to take 1 red pill and 1 black pill in less than 2 minutes, or he will die. If he takes 2 red pills, he dies. If he takes 2 black pills, he dies. He can and must only take one of each. Obviously, he can't contact anyone to know which pill is which. How can he take a red and a black pill in less than 2 minutes?
If you know the answer, don't spoil!
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
A blind man is locked in a room, with no way to contact anyone or to know his surroundings.
He has 4 pills in his left pocket. 2 are red and 2 are black. He has to take 1 red pill and 1 black pill in less than 2 minutes, or he will die. If he takes 2 red pills, he dies. If he takes 2 black pills, he dies. He can and must only take one of each. Obviously, he can't contact anyone to know which pill is which. How can he take a red and a black pill in less than 2 minutes?

I have an idea but I think it's a little bit stupid so it's probably not right :L

What if he takes all of them?
Edit: I thought maybe the taking one of each would help here as in he takes only one of each but twice
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Caz_
I have an idea but I think it's a little bit stupid so it's probably not right :L

Go ahead!
Original post by rachelc142
What if he takes all of them?
Edit: I thought maybe the taking one of each would help here as in he takes only one of each but twice
Posted from TSR Mobile

No! He can only take one of each. Not two
No! He can only take one of each. Not two

He only takes one?
I really wanna know the answer. I've stopped doing my integration hwk to try and think about it hahaha it's killin me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rachelc142
He only takes one?
I really wanna know the answer. I've stopped doing my integration hwk to try and think about it hahaha it's killin me

Posted from TSR Mobile

He has to take one black and one red! Not more, not less. Carry on doing the hwk! I'll post the solution in half an hour
Go ahead!

when you take pill out of your pocket cut it in half? throw the other half away... Then you take the next one and do the same. Then you'll have two pill but in four halves and you'll know you'll have two black halves and two red halves? idk... Are you allowed to take more than two pills out of your pocket?
Original post by _Caz_
when you take pill out of your pocket cut it in half? throw the other half away... Then you take the next one and do the same. Then you'll have two pill but in four halves and you'll know you'll have two black halves and two red halves? idk... Are you allowed to take more than two pills out of your pocket?
That's the answer! Well done :biggrin:
Original post by _Caz_

thats what me and my brother got haha
Well done :biggrin:
Original post by _Caz_

That's probably it haha
Well done :biggrin:

Have you tried Einstein's riddle?
haha snap!
Original post by binarythoughts
Have you tried Einstein's riddle?

No!
If you ever wanna kill time; try Einstein's riddle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hardest_Logic_Puzzle_Ever

The prisoner and hat puzzles are good too!
Original post by Bude8
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hardest_Logic_Puzzle_Ever

The prisoner and hat puzzles are good too!

Will try now :biggrin:
Original post by binarythoughts
If you ever wanna kill time; try Einstein's riddle

I just had a go of the Einstein one. It was so cool! Managed to get it first time. Took me like half an hour though :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can buy my first legal pint tomorrow :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest