The Student Room Group
Original post by Watsy95
How do protocols enable the effective utilisation of differing operating systems when integrated into a single network?

Who gave you this question? :curious:

I will answer it fully in the morning.. Assuming "differing operating systems" is what I what I think it is; multi-vendor networks?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
It's part of an assignment I'm working on at the moment
Original post by Watsy95
It's part of an assignment I'm working on at the moment

Ok, well you should probably look at open standard protocols, they allow protocols to be used in multi vendor networks, EIGRP is one of the procols that can be used across different layer 3 networks; including Appletalk, IPX, and some of the older X.25 networks, this is a little out of scope probably.

But keeping it simple, using open standard protocols is what you'd use in a multi vendor network environment. Since different vendors like to have proprietary standards/protocols it means they talk in their own language. When protocols are based on different standards they won't be able to communicate. Like if you tried using IS-IS (a routing protocol) on an appletalk or IPX based network it won't work since they don't understand each other, just picture yourself visiting a different country that doesn't have English, you could try talking but you wouldn't understand, similarly with them for you, neither of you would understand each other.

With open standard protocols they all talk a universal language so they can understand each other, some examples of open standard protocols are OSPF, and EIGRP (converted to open standard in 2013). Open standard protocols let you have an interoperable network that can communicate together

Not sure if this answers the question or not? Seems a little bit brief and couldn't remember exactly what I was going to write yesterday.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks very useful! :smile:
Original post by Watsy95
Thanks very useful! :smile:

No problem!! :smile:

If you ever have any other networking questions then feel free to ask! :biggrin:
Reply 6
yeah I have another question 'The client wishes to deploy a network across all sites, discuss the role of both software and hardware enabling this deployment. Provide an overview of all the likely software and hardware the client would require.' the client is wanting to set up a network in all of it premises.

Thanks
Original post by Watsy95
yeah I have another question 'The client wishes to deploy a network across all sites, discuss the role of both software and hardware enabling this deployment. Provide an overview of all the likely software and hardware the client would require.' the client is wanting to set up a network in all of it premises.

Thanks

Have you got a case study that goes with this?

Either way for the hardware you will need routers and switches.. Most importantly a VPN capable router if you wish to connect multiple sites.. You'd probably end up using IPSec, DMVPN, IWAN, depending on how many sites they have.

The routers would be used to separate each department into a different broadcast domain since it prevents broadcast congestion, if you've got the entire network connected by a switch you'd have one hell of broadcast domain, so the router will separate those, might be worth looking into VLANs and even layer 3 switches; these can also separate broadcast domains and route between them. The main advantage of L3 switches is that they use ASIC so they can switch at wire speed. Might be worth making a comparison between using hubs over switches. It depends on what the teacher/lecturer is looking for: but network devices you'd be looking at: routers, switches(L2/L3), hubs, Wireless access points, and MAYBE.. JUST MAYBE bridges.. Probably not since they're ancient.

As for software you'd probably want a software based firewall, IPS/IDS systems such as Checkpoint, also NOS' such as Windows Server for a server/client architecture, obviously an anti-virus, anti-spam software and probably, data management based software, and EVERY wants to use software based on SNMP for network management. If they have email services then might be worth looking into email software such as IIS. Depending on the organization you might want video conferencing software (wouldn't say it is common though)

Not sure if some of the software mentioned is out of scope either but it is worth looking at and probably gives you an idea of what to look for. generally though the hardware would be used for connecting the network together alongside the different departments and the software would be the applications that the network needs, as mentioned above like SNMP-based software. You probably need to do more looking into other software.. If you can find any.. Also when you're done you might want to consider drawing a topological view so you can illustrate the roles of the different network devices(Viso).

Hope it helps. :smile:
Reply 8
You are employed by Bangor Computer Consultants (BCC) as a network consultant.
Independent Trading and Design (IT&D) is an important client of BCC, with several offices located throughout Northern Ireland. Due to the rapid growth of IT&D the senior operations manager has requested you provide information to facilitate the introduction of a new computer network linking all of IT&D’s premises. It is envisaged this network will be implemented during the Christmas holiday period to reduce disruption to the customer.

this is the case study that we have been given and also thank you for the info in the last post. :smile:
Reply 9
the first question we got was 'provide your recommendation as to which network type and topology to deploy with reasons'
Original post by Watsy95
You are employed by Bangor Computer Consultants (BCC) as a network consultant.
Independent Trading and Design (IT&D) is an important client of BCC, with several offices located throughout Northern Ireland. Due to the rapid growth of IT&D the senior operations manager has requested you provide information to facilitate the introduction of a new computer network linking all of IT&D’s premises. It is envisaged this network will be implemented during the Christmas holiday period to reduce disruption to the customer.

this is the case study that we have been given and also thank you for the info in the last post. :smile:

Yeah for the most part just stick with what I said in my previous post, that should suffice, and as for your last post you should probably look into a client/server model as mentioned, and as for the topology, look into star/extended star/hybrid. :smile:
Reply 11
thanks that's great help, I have one more question haha, 'The client is unsure as to how his machines would connect to the network. Discuss the inter-dependence of the workstations with all network components.' :smile:
Original post by Watsy95
thanks that's great help, I have one more question haha, 'The client is unsure as to how his machines would connect to the network. Discuss the inter-dependence of the workstations with all network components.' :smile:

Hmm, well standard desktop machines' network cards usually have 100Mbps standard, so you'd want to have that for each individual link, then as for stuff like server farms and backbone links you'll have gigabit links, by backbone we're talking about trunk ports and the core design layer since they typically carry a high level of traffic across the network. Assuming that is what he is getting at by inter-dependence. :smile:

Out of curiosity, what're you studying? :biggrin:
Reply 13
thanks :smile: i'm doing a foundation degree in computing, the module this assignment is for is called 'Network Technologies'
Original post by Watsy95
thanks :smile: i'm doing a foundation degree in computing, the module this assignment is for is called 'Network Technologies'

No problem.. Just feel free to ask.. I'm always enjoying me some networking questions :clap2:
Ahh exact same module name as what we've got at the moment :gah:
Reply 15
really, are you at uni? sorry see in terms of the question ', 'The client is unsure as to how his machines would connect to the network. Discuss the inter-dependence of the workstations with all network components.' do you know any websites that would give me more information about that? :smile:
Original post by Watsy95
really, are you at uni? sorry see in terms of the question ', 'The client is unsure as to how his machines would connect to the network. Discuss the inter-dependence of the workstations with all network components.' do you know any websites that would give me more information about that? :smile:

You'd be looking at NIC, wired, and wireless networks and cabling; including coaxial, ethernet, and fiber optic.. As far as I'm aware it is what you need to do anyway :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Binary Freak
No problem!! :smile:

If you ever have any other networking questions then feel free to ask! :biggrin:

Please list and explain five(5) networking tools for me.

Latest

Trending

Trending