The Student Room Group

Medicine 2015 Entry Thread Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scowley12
So I have two offers , Leicester and barts , not sure which to choose , barts has a better reputation and Leicester is getting a brand new medical school , any help appreciated ?

having applied to both in the last 2 years, I personally would choose Leicester! (might be bias because Barts did reject me though😁)

I dislike the living costs and busyness of London and when I first applied for medicine last year I was taking reputation into consideration way too much. I feel you should choose based on which teaching style will benefit you more into becoming a better doctor

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blissfully
having applied to both in the last 2 years, I personally would choose Leicester! (might be bias because Barts did reject me though😁)

I dislike the living costs and busyness of London and when I first applied for medicine last year I was taking reputation into consideration way too much. I feel you should choose based on which teaching style will benefit you more into becoming a better doctor

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's tough because in all honesty I preferred barts when I visited but the extra cost of living in London is not ideal
So I have two offers , Leicester and barts , not sure which to choose , barts has a better reputation and Leicester is getting a brand new medical school , any help appreciated ?

I would much rather live in London than in Leicester but that's just me (I'm from near Leicester) but I guess going to Barts would be much more expensive for living costs.

I'd go for Leicester. The gp I did work experience with went there and absolutely loved it. I know a few people who went to London and hated it bc they said there's little community. If you're looking for a good medical community I'd go for liecester
Original post by EmilyKvothe
I'm trying to decide between Bart's and Kings - I guess I'd suggest doing the same as I am; going to both offer holder open days, making a pros and cons list, talking to current and ex-students, and mostly just go with your gut.

I did lots of work experience with a doctor that was at kings and said she hated it as there was virtually no medical community and everyone was referred to as a number rather than a person bc there was so many medics. However I reckon maybe most London unis are like that
Original post by JMJ_1996
I did lots of work experience with a doctor that was at kings and said she hated it as there was virtually no medical community and everyone was referred to as a number rather than a person bc there was so many medics. However I reckon maybe most London unis are like that

Yeah - tbh I really, really loved Barts when I went for my interview, it was so friendly, and because the campus and accommodation is medic/dentist only I think there might be more of that medic community feel? At the moment I'm definitely leaning towards Barts, but I haven't been to an open day for Kings and so will probably wait until after their open day to decide for sure.
Yeah - tbh I really, really loved Barts when I went for my interview, it was so friendly, and because the campus and accommodation is medic/dentist only I think there might be more of that medic community feel? At the moment I'm definitely leaning towards Barts, but I haven't been to an open day for Kings and so will probably wait until after their open day to decide for sure.

This is how I feel , I loved barts when I visited and it definitely had a community feel , I didn't like kings in all honesty and there stident satisfaction is awful but I may be biased as I also don't think my interview went that well

This probably isn't very insightful or helpful but I have a friend at King's (first year) and he said it's awesome and loves it but agrees with the low student satisfaction ratings king's has - apparently it's all very disorganised
barts vs newcastle vs glasgow... I am completely torn, I feel like london will have so many more opportunities but the lifestyle is not so student-friendly, newcastle is the complete opposite and glasgow is kind of in the middle. I love all there! any advice would be appreciated,
I'm waiting for kings but not really expecting a fourth offer,
Original post by annamartin
barts vs newcastle vs glasgow... I am completely torn, I feel like london will have so many more opportunities but the lifestyle is not so student-friendly, newcastle is the complete opposite and glasgow is kind of in the middle. I love all there! any advice would be appreciated,

Maybe think about where they are in relation to where you live and how easy or costly the commute would be? I would personally advise against London as I don't think they'll be much community. That said London is such a nice place and does have a lot of opportunities (have livedin the suburbs all of my life) but if I'm honest I think there are lots of opportunities in any big city. I've heard the night life is really good in newcastle. If it was me I would probably go for newcastle as it's in a busy city but also kind of studenty. That's only my opinion, it's rly down to what your preferences are!

Actually I think you'll find that the social and community life at Barts is second to none. It has its own Students Union separate from Queen Mary with a genuine sense of belonging. Sure, London is a big city, but in the microcosm of a medical student's life, this really does not matter, at least in my experience :smile:
I'd go for Leicester. The gp I did work experience with went there and absolutely loved it. I know a few people who went to London and hated it bc they said there's little community. If you're looking for a good medical community I'd go for liecester

I think that is very wrong where Barts in concerned. There is a real sense of medical community - Barts and the London Student Association has its own union, sabbatical President, social activities, clubs and societies and sports teams separate from Queen Mary, and there is also accommodation for medical/dental students in Floyer and Dawson Hall. I think you'll really like it :smile:
Hello everyone,

I've got an offer from SGUL and I'm waiting post interview for a reply from kings EMDP. I really want to firm a choice as soon as they reply. If I got an offer for kings EMDP I really don't know which I would choose.

In the possibility I get an offer, I have quite a few pros and cons for both. Something that sticks out is that I prefer the pre clinical years at SGUL given that they do a mixture of Pbl and lectures, and they do prosection, but kings mainly just do lectures and they focus on dissection with little prosection. However in terms of the clinical years kings has such world renowned hospitals where the placements would be amazing, but at SGUL apart from georges themselves their other hospitals are not that appealing.

Can anybody help me with this decision at all?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe think about where they are in relation to where you live and how easy or costly the commute would be? I would personally advise against London as I don't think they'll be much community. That said London is such a nice place and does have a lot of opportunities (have livedin the suburbs all of my life) but if I'm honest I think there are lots of opportunities in any big city. I've heard the night life is really good in newcastle. If it was me I would probably go for newcastle as it's in a busy city but also kind of studenty. That's only my opinion, it's rly down to what your preferences are!

Well i am a eu student so it doesnt matter really about the location, and yeh newcastle student life does seem like its the best out of my options but im kind of thinking wether its stupid to turn down an offer to study medicine in london.. Thanks for your reply, its good to know others have the same opinion as me :smile:
Original post by GrahamRodney
Actually I think you'll find that the social and community life at Barts is second to none. It has its own Students Union separate from Queen Mary with a genuine sense of belonging. Sure, London is a big city, but in the microcosm of a medical student's life, this really does not matter, at least in my experience :smile:

I can agree with you, going there for my interview it really did seem like a community, do u study there or are you an applicant?:smile:
Original post by the A* guy
Hello everyone,

I've got an offer from SGUL and I'm waiting post interview for a reply from kings EMDP. I really want to firm a choice as soon as they reply. If I got an offer for kings EMDP I really don't know which I would choose.

In the possibility I get an offer, I have quite a few pros and cons for both. Something that sticks out is that I prefer the pre clinical years at SGUL given that they do a mixture of Pbl and lectures, and they do prosection, but kings mainly just do lectures and they focus on dissection with little prosection. However in terms of the clinical years kings has such world renowned hospitals where the placements would be amazing, but at SGUL apart from georges themselves their other hospitals are not that appealing.

Can anybody help me with this decision at all?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kind of a side point...one of the hospitals you can get sent to with St George's is Epsom...I did my work experience there and it was actually the students there who made me think about applying to SGUL in the first place. It's a really good hospital and the students seemed to like doing their placements there :smile:

In relation to your decision I would go for the place that has the teaching style you think you'll get on with, and also consider the area and where you'd be happier living :smile:
I can agree with you, going there for my interview it really did seem like a community, do u study there or are you an applicant?:smile:

Been and gone, but stayed in London mainly in and around the East End.
4 interviews, 4 offers! :biggrin: potentially the most successful moment of my life so far!
Original post by Medboy100
4 interviews, 4 offers! :biggrin: potentially the most successful moment of my life so far!

Well done! thats an amazing achievement....now you have to successfully make the right choice! :wink:
Hi everyone, I currently have two offers and I'm waiting to hear from a third, but I'm starting to worry about the health questionnaires. I've had anorexia within the past 12 months, not hospitalised but a BMI below 16. Essentially, I'm wondering if they can reject me based on this? I'm recovering now, and my GP can vouch for me being of sound mind etc. does anyone know about this? :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending