The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Bamford took his goal so well last night.

He's really shone in the big games for Boro so far this year, and last night was no exception. He scored two stunners against Ipswich but for different reasons. Last night's goal was a real predatory finish. He reminds me a little bit of a young Fowler. He is such a gifted striker at Championship level. I hope he can replicate it somewhat on the PL stage next year.

Even if Boro don't get promoted (I'm sure they will, though) he should move from Chelsea to further his career.
Original post by Mackay
Not buying it. Dreadful decision imo.

In terms of the rules it's spot on I think. I'd be angry if it was given against us because its absolutely stupid by the keeper, but I'm hardly gonna complain about Bournemouth getting a bad decision.
Original post by Mackay

He's really shone in the big games for Boro so far this year, and last night was no exception. He scored two stunners against Ipswich but for different reasons. Last night's goal was a real predatory finish. He reminds me a little bit of a young Fowler. He is such a gifted striker at Championship level. I hope he can replicate it somewhat on the PL stage next year.

Even if Boro don't get promoted (I'm sure they will, though) he should move from Chelsea to further his career.

I'd like him to stay permanently if we go up, we could use a talisman. We lacked a focal point in the last years of our last premiership stint IMO.

Still, not counting my chickens wrt promotion just yet and of course it might be a long shot to keep him. But still, would be nice, and I can hope.
Original post by Mackay

There's something very wrong about the enormous squads these clubs have, just holding onto players so nobody else can have them whilst they have no chance of actually making the first team.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
There's something very wrong about the enormous squads these clubs have, just holding onto players so nobody else can have them whilst they have no chance of actually making the first team.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's definitely worrying. It's even worse in Serie A, though. Take your pick of their clubs and go to their Wikipedia pages. The amount of players they have out on loan is ridiculous.
Original post by Mackay
It's definitely worrying. It's even worse in Serie A, though. Take your pick of their clubs and go to their Wikipedia pages. The amount of players they have out on loan is ridiculous.

The German idea of B teams capped at a certain level in the pyramid alleviates this but I wouldn't be in favour of it here as these sides wouldn't want to compete as much. I would like to see some kind of playing staff cap though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bamford is one of their own

Mourinho hates youth though so I doubt he'll ever play in the PL for Chelsea

Posted from TSR Mobile
The German idea of B teams capped at a certain level in the pyramid alleviates this but I wouldn't be in favour of it here as these sides wouldn't want to compete as much. I would like to see some kind of playing staff cap though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of lower league fans are anti-the inclusion of B teams. I'm not surprised.

You've probably seen your fair share of dross from the PL on loan I imagine. A lot of these PL players who go on loan to lower league clubs fail to make an impact. The majority of Liverpool players who've gone on loan haven't really carved a path, except Ibe, who was clearly on a different level to the Championship.
Original post by Mackay
A lot of lower league fans are anti-the inclusion of B teams. I'm not surprised.

You've probably seen your fair share of dross from the PL on loan I imagine. A lot of these PL players who go on loan to lower league clubs fail to make an impact. The majority of Liverpool players who've gone on loan haven't really carved a path, except Ibe, who was clearly on a different level to the Championship.

The latest one from Spurs has done very well so far to be fair but more often than not they're a waste of time there to fill squad space. Reece Brown from Man Utd stands out as one of the worst.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I imagine a lot of players, particularly the young players, get the attitude of "I'm too good for this club" & sack it off.

Connor Wickham did that with both Sheffield Wednesday & Leeds, Andros Townsend also played poorly when he was on loan with us.
Original post by TornadoGR4
I imagine a lot of players, particularly the young players, get the attitude of "I'm too good for this club" & sack it off.

Connor Wickham did that with both Sheffield Wednesday & Leeds, Andros Townsend also played poorly when he was on loan with us.

Similar with Harry Kane, too.

People forget he went all over the place before finally breaking through at Tottenham. I doubt you'd find any Orient, Leicester, Millwall or Norwich fans who'd have said he could score 20+ goals in the PL during his time there.
Yannick Sagbo has to be the worst loan of all time. Good grief he made Leon & Frankowski look top draw!
The vast majority of our loans over the years have been absolutely excellent. Berahino, Szczesny, Forshaw, Bidwell, Pritchard, Saville and Judge all spring to mind. I'm pretty sure you just have to be careful and that a lot of managers just take whoever the pl clubs are offering.
Original post by Mackay

People forget he went all over the place before finally breaking through at Tottenham. I doubt you'd find any Orient, Leicester, Millwall or Norwich fans who'd have said he could score 20+ goals in the PL during his time there.

From his time at us I'd have been shocked if he could score 20 goals in his entire career - I'd call him a donkey but that's insulting to donkeys

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mackay

That doesn't necessarily mean he has an attitude problem. Could be any number of factors from homesickness to style of play.

I'm sure plenty of the Premier League 'stars' would struggle on a cold, wet January night in Fleetwood if they were playing in the Yeovil team.
Original post by sr90
That doesn't necessarily mean he has an attitude problem. Could be any number of factors from homesickness to style of play.

I'm sure plenty of the Premier League 'stars' would struggle on a cold, wet January night in Fleetwood if they were playing in the Yeovil team.

Kane clearly has no attitude problem. He's been labelled a model pro by Pochettino, Sherwood, Hodgson et al.

What I was saying though is that Kane's heart was clearly at Spurs. It's probably the same for a lot of players who drop down to the lower leagues on loan. You see how much playing for Tottenham means to him, and he worked so hard to win over the fans during Sherwood's era. They were on Sherwood's back calling for Soldado to start, let's not forget.

He probably struggled (if not for homesickness) then for motivation during those stints at Millwall, Norwich etc. I'd struggle, as a Liverpool fan who's dreamed of playing for them all my life, to have to go to Bradford for a year and play the likes of Chesterfield on terrible pitches in a new area with no emotional connection.

Nothing wrong with Connor during his time at S6 :tongue: quite successful and vital as it happened. What happened after when he was at you is a bit curious.
Just getting ready to head down to the train station ahead of the long journey to the Mol for tonight. Huge crowd expected for what's going to be a huge game. Heart says 3-1 head says 3-1 :wink:

Already started the drinks too, hopefully by close of play tomorrow we'll be sixth. COME ON!
Winless in 6 for Derby & probably fair to say they'll be looking below them rather than above them now.

McClaren to be shown the door if they fail to get promoted?
Winless in 6 for Derby & probably fair to say they'll be looking below them rather than above them now.

McClaren to be shown the door if they fail to get promoted?

Word is Sunderland would be interested in a coach rather than a manager given their structure. It's not a surprise given Poyet's disgruntlement with being treated like a coach and not a manager throughout his tenure. With that in mind, it would make sense for them to show faith in McClaren - especially if they get promoted - rather than an Advocaat or Allardyce, who like responsibility and control.

Quick Reply

Latest