The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Psychology at LSE

Hello everyone

So I hold an offer for MSc Social and Organisational Psychology at LSE. However, from the data I get on the internet, I'm not sure how LSE is when it comes to Psychology. Call me ignorant, but it is called London School of ECONOMICS and POLITICAL SCIENCE.

I can't find a psychology ranking for LSE anywhere. I know the university is very good, and graduates are sought after, but can anybody shed light on how Psychology is here?

Thanks a lot :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I'm having the same doubts as you. I have just submitted my application for MSc in SOcial and Cultural Psychology, their program page looks amazing. Lots of interesting content. Do share if you have any info.

BTW, I'm guessing you are from India. What are your Undergrad qualifications like? I'm worried that I might not be accepted. How logn did they take to reply?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by hummingthrough
I'm having the same doubts as you. I have just submitted my application for MSc in SOcial and Cultural Psychology, their program page looks amazing. Lots of interesting content. Do share if you have any info.

BTW, I'm guessing you are from India. What are your Undergrad qualifications like? I'm worried that I might not be accepted. How logn did they take to reply?

I like the course, but there's something about uni nottingham that feels better. It takes them a good two months to get back to you with a decision. I'm finishing my B.A in psychology this year. What are your qualifications like?
Original post by siddharthmsc
I like the course, but there's something about uni nottingham that feels better. It takes them a good two months to get back to you with a decision. I'm finishing my B.A in psychology this year. What are your qualifications like?

damn, I can't wait two months... I passed out of B.A.(psychology, sociology and philosophy) in 2013 with 71‰. Was among top 2 students in class. Very strong references, PS and relevant work experience
damn, I can't wait two months... I passed out of B.A.(psychology, sociology and philosophy) in 2013 with 71‰. Was among top 2 students in class. Very strong references, PS and relevant work experience

I don't see why you shouldn't get in mate. Where are you from? And have you applied elsewhere too?
I don't see why you shouldn't get in mate. Where are you from? And have you applied elsewhere too?

I have an acceptance from U of Edinburgh in MSc psychological research. I have to respond to them before April 14th. I'm waiting for KCL to reply, I'm sure I'll get in there but even there
there, the program I applied to, is brand new... Their first batch is yet to pass out and I don't know how it will be.
I'm from hyderabad
I have an acceptance from U of Edinburgh in MSc psychological research. I have to respond to them before April 14th. I'm waiting for KCL to reply, I'm sure I'll get in there but even there
there, the program I applied to, is brand new... Their first batch is yet to pass out and I don't know how it will be.
I'm from hyderabad

I got through in Edinburgh too. Along with Exeter and Notts. Thus the confusion. Any idea how LSE is for Psych though?
Don't have much idea about LSE except what I gathered from their website. Which program did you apply in Edinburgh? Isn't Edinburgh considered more reputable than nottingham?
BTW, I have a doubt. How do you plan to do international transactions? Like paying the deposit of 1500 pounds to confirm admission etc,. When I used my debit card to pay for , I was charged a lot more than the exchange rate. So, wondering if there is any method without transaction charges.
Don't have much idea about LSE except what I gathered from their website. Which program did you apply in Edinburgh? Isn't Edinburgh considered more reputable than nottingham?
BTW, I have a doubt. How do you plan to do international transactions? Like paying the deposit of 1500 pounds to confirm admission etc,. When I used my debit card to pay for , I was charged a lot more than the exchange rate. So, wondering if there is any method without transaction charges.

Yup, it is. But I feel the course would be much better for me in particular. I got into performance psychology in Edinburgh. I still havent done too many international transactions except the basic 50 pound application fee, and an accomodation deposit. I can accept a conditional offer only, because I'm still waiting to finish my B.A
Hey guys,

I've been admitted also to the same programme and also to the Master in Research Psychology at University of Manchester. Looking for the same feedback, I wanna know if LSE is well-regarded in Psychology! And also about Psychology at Manchester. I heard that they are at the top of mind in research, but not sure if this apply to psychology too.

If you have any information about it, please let me know, thanks!
Are you seriously considering a career in Psychology or are you hoping for a career in which Psychology helps you along?

A MSc in Social and Organisational Psychology sounds oriented towards HR and Consulting, and being from LSE will set you up very well for those careers.
Original post by GandalfWhite
Are you seriously considering a career in Psychology or are you hoping for a career in which Psychology helps you along?

A MSc in Social and Organisational Psychology sounds oriented towards HR and Consulting, and being from LSE will set you up very well for those careers.

Hey. While I initially want to work in consultancy, I ultimately see myself in academics and research. Any idea how well LSE is reputed for Psychology?
Hey. While I initially want to work in consultancy, I ultimately see myself in academics and research. Any idea how well LSE is reputed for Psychology?

Psychology covers very broad and many areas. LSE is probably good at that area of psychology more related to management and organisations.
Why would anyone apply to a University that they know so little about?
LSE does not have an undergraduate degree in Psychology and that probably affects their ranking or mention in normal leagues. But, LSE Psychology QS world ranking is pretty good, 20/22. Useful to note too that more than half the students in LSE are postgraduates.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2014/psychology#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=
http://www.topuniversities.com/node/2817/ranking-details/university-subject-rankings/--2014/psychology
Hello everyone

So I hold an offer for MSc Social and Organisational Psychology at LSE. However, from the data I get on the internet, I'm not sure how LSE is when it comes to Psychology. Call me ignorant, but it is called London School of ECONOMICS and POLITICAL SCIENCE.

I can't find a psychology ranking for LSE anywhere. I know the university is very good, and graduates are sought after, but can anybody shed light on how Psychology is here?

1. They are obviously also very good at sociology.
2. The degree is specifically called social and organisational.
Reply 16
Hello everyone

Hey, did you end up doing this course? If so, what did you think about the course, department and uni?
Hello everyone

LSE is a very renowned university. Its psychology department is also very prestigious. The course structure of MSc in Social and Organisational Psychology is novel but its a catch 22 because it is not accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS). I also have an offer from LSE for the same course but am confronted with this problem.

Good luck!
Merry Christmas!

Jasmeet Singh
I got through in Edinburgh too. Along with Exeter and Notts. Thus the confusion. Any idea how LSE is for Psych though?

Hi would you know if it’s possible to get into U of Edinburgh w a C in GCSE math?? I have an AABB in a levels tho
I wouldn't know about that, sorry

Latest

Trending

Trending