The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6480
Anyone know if Glasgow have started handing out rejections?
Had a bad week - post-interview rejections from Nottingham on Monday, Bristol yesterday and Edinburgh today. Confident that Liverpool will make it a full house tomorrow. Ready to plan a gap year brushing up on my interview technique :frown:
Original post by mk981
Anyone know if Glasgow have started handing out rejections?

Yeah they have, a friend of mine got rejected this evening, i'm still to hear! We are Scottish first time applicants
Original post by chuckbeansy
Had a bad week - post-interview rejections from Nottingham on Monday, Bristol yesterday and Edinburgh today. Confident that Liverpool will make it a full house tomorrow. Ready to plan a gap year brushing up on my interview technique :frown:

I am really sure that I write to convey the best wishes of many of us who were in the same situation this time last year and we do remember just how painful it is, but everyone, please regard rejections as a test of your resolve and determination and 'show them what you can do'. Getting this far in the process confirms how special you already are, so give it another go and this time next year you will hopefully be in the same position as the many who are currently reporting their success on TSR, you will have offers too. So please get over the disappointment as quick as you can, don't take it personally, it's not, and try again. First time applicants often don't know just how many of those reporting success this year are re applicants... You can be the same next year. Good luck.
Uncondional offer came from Edinburgh today so check your emails guys!
Original post by chuckbeansy

Don't loose hope! I'm a 2nd time applicant who went from 4 rejections (with no interviews) to 3 interviews and 2 unconditional offers!

Use it as something to fuelbyour determination; make your gap a good thing. Build up some experience, identify where you went wrong last year and use your gap year to grow as a person. Taking a year out has (as cheesy as it sound) given me the time to really find myself and gain confidence, something which I know had a really positive effect on my interview performance. :smile:

A gap year can really be one of the best things to happen to you, but only if you make it that way :smile:
Reply 6486
Just got an offer from Glasgow! (Scottish student) 😄
Original post by wanttobevet
I am really sure that I write to convey the best wishes of many of us who were in the same situation this time last year and we do remember just how painful it is, but everyone, please regard rejections as a test of your resolve and determination and 'show them what you can do'. Getting this far in the process confirms how special you already are, so give it another go and this time next year you will hopefully be in the same position as the many who are currently reporting their success on TSR, you will have offers too. So please get over the disappointment as quick as you can, don't take it personally, it's not, and try again. First time applicants often don't know just how many of those reporting success this year are re applicants... You can be the same next year. Good luck.

Original post by BethJaye
Don't loose hope! I'm a 2nd time applicant who went from 4 rejections (with no interviews) to 3 interviews and 2 unconditional offers!

Use it as something to fuelbyour determination; make your gap a good thing. Build up some experience, identify where you went wrong last year and use your gap year to grow as a person. Taking a year out has (as cheesy as it sound) given me the time to really find myself and gain confidence, something which I know had a really positive effect on my interview performance. :smile:

A gap year can really be one of the best things to happen to you, but only if you make it that way :smile:

Thanks, guys, really appreciate your support. Am gutted at the moment but I am really going to take your words on board.
Hi :smile: I'm not a vet med applicant but my brother is. He has all A*s at GCSE, all A* predictions for A2 level (Maths, Chemistry and Biology) and an AS UMS average above 90% (did Physics AS too). He's had rejections from all but one, and is expecting a final rejection soon. He's extremely practical, and during one of his interviews saw an interviewer write down 'very good' and 'excellent' a few times. He also goes to a private school. Can anyone tell me if this was a disadvantage for his application? We're aware that private school students are cut less slack by admissions tutors (which is often very unfair imo) and he's wondering how on Earth he didn't get an offer when so many people seem to be getting offers with only a handful of A*s at GCSE and not the best A level predictions. His BMAT score was also excellent (average of 6). He also has a wide range of work experience and doesn't have a strange personality so it can't have been that which put interviewers off. He's strongly considering a gap year and is doubtful of reapplying for vet med again next year seeing as he already has fantastic grades and can't see an obvious reason as to why he hasn't been accepted. Can anyone offer any advice?
Original post by Alludeen1
Hi :smile: I'm not a vet med applicant but my brother is. He has all A*s at GCSE, all A* predictions for A2 level (Maths, Chemistry and Biology) and an AS UMS average above 90% (did Physics AS too). He's had rejections from all but one, and is expecting a final rejection soon. He's extremely practical, and during one of his interviews saw an interviewer write down 'very good' and 'excellent' a few times. He also goes to a private school. Can anyone tell me if this was a disadvantage for his application? We're aware that private school students are cut less slack by admissions tutors (which is often very unfair imo) and he's wondering how on Earth he didn't get an offer when so many people seem to be getting offers with only a handful of A*s at GCSE and not the best A level predictions. His BMAT score was also excellent (average of 6). He also has a wide range of work experience and doesn't have a strange personality so it can't have been that which put interviewers off. He's strongly considering a gap year and is doubtful of reapplying for vet med again next year seeing as he already has fantastic grades and can't see an obvious reason as to why he hasn't been accepted. Can anyone offer any advice?

Not a disadvantage at all. I went to a private school and I got an offer last year, it's not always about grades, someone can have the best grades possible but it doesn't mean that they are ready for vet school just yet.
My only advice is he asks each of the vet schools for feedback on his interviews, I know that Liverpool and Bristol give quite constructive feedback, and this will help him figure out what his strengths and weaknesses at interview are, rejections doesn't mean he will never get in or that he won't ever be a vet, they just mean he's not ready yet, a lot of applicants are re-applicants, I tried 3 times before getting my place last year, and what got me my place was my experience in practice as well as experience of interviews.
Don't let him give up after falling at the first hurdle, after a gap year he will feel much more confident for next time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6490
hi alludeen my mname is abdul .i want to sit in RCVS EXAM , I STUDIED OVERSEAS, CAN YORS BROTHER HELP ME PLEASE,
Original post by Alludeen1
He probably just comes across as a bit of a douche during the interviews. If he thinks he is gods gift, then no1 will want him! Try being a bit more modest......
Original post by vet74
hi alludeen my mname is abdul .i want to sit in RCVS EXAM , I STUDIED OVERSEAS, CAN YORS BROTHER HELP ME PLEASE,

Abdul, with respect you may be misunderstanding the nature of this forum; it is most unlikely that members can help with your apparent wish. If you want to sit an exam of the RCVS, Then perhaps you should contact the RCVS directly at ...

[h="4"]General enquiries[/h]For general enquiries about the RCVS, for comments about our website, or if you are not sure which department to email, please complete our contact form or use the following contact details:
Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
Belgravia House
62-64 Horseferry Road
London
SW1P 2AF

T 020 7222 2001
F 020 7222 2004
E [email protected]
Original post by 1234567vet
He probably just comes across as a bit of a douche during the interviews. If he thinks he is gods gift, then no1 will want him! Try being a bit more modest......

I must admit, I had similar thoughts,,, but would add that if someone is seriously considering dropping out after trying once, then this may indicate a lack if 'real' commitment to the career and perhaps this came over at interview without the 'otherwise perfect' candidate realising it. It's those trying and being successful for the 3rd time that impress me most, not the 'perfect' A* student perhaps suffering their first rejection in life. Sorry, but the original posting didn't give me any grounds to offer a positive response.
Original post by BethJaye

Just out of interest, what did you do in your gap year? I only have one uni left to hear from and am pretty sure it'll be my fourth rejection so I'm going to need to plan my next year and do the best I can with it to give myself the best opportunity for next year round!
Reply 6495
Offers from Glasgow and Edinburgh within 24 hours, I can't stop crying ahhh :biggrin: major congratulations to everyone else with offers too!!
Hello!
Had a rollercoaster couple of days, Edinburgh rejection yesterday but got an offer for Glasgow through at 19.30, which was my first choice! Absolutely ecstatic! Congrats to everyone else with offers as well!
People with glasgow offers. Do you mind me asking when you heard? Like what time?
Reply 6498
Original post by Somevetwannabe
People with glasgow offers. Do you mind me asking when you heard? Like what time?

Offer came through at 18:42, Scots applicant! Someone on the facebook page said they phoned and they said they weren't handing them out till Monday so I'm sure there's still loads to go :biggrin:
Original post by cocroberta
Just out of interest, what did you do in your gap year? I only have one uni left to hear from and am pretty sure it'll be my fourth rejection so I'm going to need to plan my next year and do the best I can with it to give myself the best opportunity for next year round!

There's loads of things you can do in your gap year, get a job, travel the world, it's pretty endless! STA travel do deals where you can go work out in Australia, find an organisation abroad to work for where you can get experience and money, I worked as a vet nurse for my year out and I got so much experience but I would have loved to travel, you don't get much opportunity to travel when you're older so take the chance you have now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending