The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1234567vet
He probably just comes across as a bit of a douche during the interviews. If he thinks he is gods gift, then no1 will want him! Try being a bit more modest......

Modest? How would you have any idea about his personality? I'm sorry if you fail to see my point, but I am perfectly in my right to question why someone with fantastic grades gets rejected whilst some people with relatively mediocre grades (but still good) get accepted. I can also assume you only make your comment about him thinking he's God's gift because he goes to a private school. Nice one :wink: . At no point did I say he's better than anyone getting accepted, I was only asking for advice from past applicants rejected first time who had very good grades, as well as a wide range of experience and who have an amiable personality. Can I also point out that I understand that being accepted requires a lot more than just academic ability.
Original post by wanttobevet
I must admit, I had similar thoughts,,, but would add that if someone is seriously considering dropping out after trying once, then this may indicate a lack if 'real' commitment to the career and perhaps this came over at interview without the 'otherwise perfect' candidate realising it. It's those trying and being successful for the 3rd time that impress me most, not the 'perfect' A* student perhaps suffering their first rejection in life. Sorry, but the original posting didn't give me any grounds to offer a positive response.

Thanks for the bitchy reply. Yes, reapplying for the 3rd time does show real dedication and I know it isn't about having all A*s, but it is perfectly understandable for someone to doubt reapplying if they can't see any obvious holes in their initial application.
Original post by Alludeen1
Modest? How would you have any idea about his personality? I'm sorry if you fail to see my point, but I am perfectly in my right to question why someone with fantastic grades gets rejected whilst some people with relatively mediocre grades (but still good) get accepted. I can also assume you only make your comment about him thinking he's God's gift because he goes to a private school. Nice one :wink: . At no point did I say he's better than anyone getting accepted, I was only asking for advice from past applicants rejected first time who had very good grades, as well as a wide range of experience and who have an amiable personality. Can I also point out that I understand that being accepted requires a lot more than just academic ability.

If you read what I put before his best option is to get feedback from the interviews to see where he went wrong, there is no use him having the attitude of 'I'm the perfect candidate why did I not get a place' because as others have said that may well have come across at interview.
If he really does want to be a vet he will try again, and he may well be more successful next time.
There are thousands of applicants each year who are more than suitable for a place, and there are only very few places, he just needs more experience of interviews and to try again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the bitchy reply. Yes, reapplying for the 3rd time does show real dedication and I know it isn't about having all A*s, but it is perfectly understandable for someone to doubt reapplying if they can't see any obvious holes in their initial application.

I was waiting expectantly for a response .. So thanks for that and here's wishing you both well. D
Original post by Lizziefickling
If you read what I put before his best option is to get feedback from the interviews to see where he went wrong, there is no use him having the attitude of 'I'm the perfect candidate why did I not get a place' because as others have said that may well have come across at interview.
If he really does want to be a vet he will try again, and he may well be more successful next time.
There are thousands of applicants each year who are more than suitable for a place, and there are only very few places, he just needs more experience of interviews and to try again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never said he has that attitude, and he's perfectly aware that there are many fantastic applicants who fail to get a place. Thank you for the other advice.
Does anyone know when freshers week starts in Edinburgh Uni if the corse starts 1st September? Is it September 1st it starts or is it the week before that? Confused :/ thank you
Original post by EmaWema
Does anyone know when freshers week starts in Edinburgh Uni if the corse starts 1st September? Is it September 1st it starts or is it the week before that? Confused :/ thank you

It says somewhere on their website (I can't remember if it's the veterinary page or like the main uni page) :smile:
Original post by EmaWema

http://www.ed.ac.uk/news/semester-dates/201516
Found the link :smile:
Reply 6508
Original post by Daalex
Just got an offer from Glasgow! (Scottish student) 😄

Congrats!! Where's your 1st choice if you don't mind me asking?

Original post by SteveJB
Hello!
Had a rollercoaster couple of days, Edinburgh rejection yesterday but got an offer for Glasgow through at 19.30, which was my first choice! Absolutely ecstatic! Congrats to everyone else with offers as well!

Congratulations :biggrin: I'll see you in September!!
Original post by Lizziefickling
There's loads of things you can do in your gap year, get a job, travel the world, it's pretty endless! STA travel do deals where you can go work out in Australia, find an organisation abroad to work for where you can get experience and money, I worked as a vet nurse for my year out and I got so much experience but I would have loved to travel, you don't get much opportunity to travel when you're older so take the chance you have now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your advice! I've been looking into some work experience I can do abroad so hopefully I'll do that :smile:

Cheers! Congrats to you as well! I'll see you then, can't wait!
Reply 6511
Original post by mk981
Congrats!! Where's your 1st choice if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you, congrats to you too 😊 my first choice is edinburgh, you?
Didnt get any offers absolutely devistated
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Awww no way, that's really cute :redface:

On the contrary, I believe they're giving out most of their offers in April :smile: I'm waiting too, hang in there!

Cool, that sounds like a great start, keep up the good work :smile: An abattoir placement may sound gruesome, but I think they're a really good opportunity to learn about the scope of where a vet degree can take you (my universities were all really keen on talking about that at interview :tongue: ). Edinburgh in particular encourage people to go to an abattoir if possible :yep:

Yeah, I got interviews from the RVC, Bristol, Liverpool and Edinburgh. RVC and Liv have given me offers and I'm still waiting to hear back from the other two.

Awesome stuff! I'm so pleased for you! :biggrin:

Wow that's incredible congratulations! What grades did you get at GCSE and AS? Sorry to be asking all these questions but you know as well as anyone how hard it is to get an offer! Did you do over 15 weeks of work experience then? Its so difficult to balance school work, a social life and work experience as well as having a job that actually earns money, do you have any more advice? Sorry for pestering you like this hahaha
Original post by JessMcL01

We all feel for you and many if us have been in the same place,,, but try to lift yourself get your grades and try again. Once you have your grades, have some fun and try the following gap year ideas.. And the very best of good luck.
http://www.bva.co.uk/overseas/overseas_contacts.aspx
http://www.wvs.org.uk/how-to-help/trips/
http://www.travellersworldwide.com/conservation.htm
Reply 6515

Did you get rejections or just haven't heard at all yet? sorry to hear that :frown:

Do not give up, take it as a learning curve, and try again next year, took me 3 attempts and I did a degree in between and I'm here now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi :smile: I'm not a vet med applicant but my brother is. He has all A*s at GCSE, all A* predictions for A2 level (Maths, Chemistry and Biology) and an AS UMS average above 90% (did Physics AS too). He's had rejections from all but one, and is expecting a final rejection soon. He's extremely practical, and during one of his interviews saw an interviewer write down 'very good' and 'excellent' a few times. He also goes to a private school. Can anyone tell me if this was a disadvantage for his application? We're aware that private school students are cut less slack by admissions tutors (which is often very unfair imo) and he's wondering how on Earth he didn't get an offer when so many people seem to be getting offers with only a handful of A*s at GCSE and not the best A level predictions. His BMAT score was also excellent (average of 6). He also has a wide range of work experience and doesn't have a strange personality so it can't have been that which put interviewers off. He's strongly considering a gap year and is doubtful of reapplying for vet med again next year seeing as he already has fantastic grades and can't see an obvious reason as to why he hasn't been accepted. Can anyone offer any advice?

To be honest, there are just a lot of strong applicants so sometimes people get rejections just because there simply aren't enough places. Sounds like there are no clear flaws in his application in which case I would say he should 100% stick at it and reapply next year! He should make sure he makes the most of the next year, and perhaps get some more varied work experience (you can never have too much work experience). I'm in the same boat - am expecting my last rejection any time soon. But please tell him not to give up hope now because there are so many people who are second time applicants!
You sound like you've got loads of great experience! If I were you I'd try get a visit to an abbitoire :smile: x

Think the term dates are slightly different for the vet school? :smile:

http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/vet/studying/joining/semesterdates

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending