The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zürich
I cant differentiate between the two.

To paraphrase Louis XIV, ''L'Arsenal, c'est moi''

It's funny because Sir Alex did more for United than Wenger has done for The Arsenal (taking us from an, albeit underachieving, mid-table side to arguably the 2nd biggest club in the world as opposed to Wenger who took you up maybe 2 levels at a max), yet he is not immune to criticism. Despite the laughing stock we have become he's not infallible, our fans regularly pour blame on him. Unjustifiably? I think so. But nobody is bigger than the club and it's laughable to hear people they'd support a Wenger side over Arsenal :laugh:
WTF Fact of the Day:

John Carver can only name 13 outfield players in his squad for Newcastle's match against Arsenal.
Original post by TornadoGR4
This is the argument Leeds fans have. We've averaged around a 60% full stadium this season, if they just lower the price, get a fuller stadium, better atmosphere effects the players, better performances leading to an even larger attendance. Plus you'd have the extra fans buying merchandise, food & drink & programs.

Even more annoyingly, the stadium doors don't open until an hour before kick off, so there's thousands of fans just wandering around the stadium & club shop.

Ive been to Elland Road actually and have to say the atmosphere was very good(although there was a high percentage of scum from what I say so swings and roundabouts). Leeds/Arsenal games back in the day at Highbury were genuinely pretty good atmospheres too from what i remember. Ian Harte scored a late free kick once against us that was extremely controversial because he took it early and then the famous 3-2 loss in 2003. You were somewhat of a bogey team for us

Leeds is probably the best city in the North all things considered although I'd probably live in Newcastle over anywhere given a choice.
Original post by Depleted
It's funny because Sir Alex did more for United than Wenger has done for The Arsenal (taking us from an, albeit underachieving, mid-table side to arguably the 2nd biggest club in the world as opposed to Wenger who took you up maybe 2 levels at a max), yet he is not immune to criticism. Despite the laughing stock we have become he's not infallible, our fans regularly pour blame on him. Unjustifiably? I think so. But nobody is bigger than the club and it's laughable to hear people they'd support a Wenger side over Arsenal :laugh:

Tongue firmly in cheek. But I'd support whichever team he went to as a 2nd for sure.

Wrt SAF, he never sacrificed his own career for Utd whereas Wenger did. He's have collected La Liga and BuLi titles and perhaps a CL elsewhere had he taken some of his chances but he instead stuck around trying to find a way to get Denilson, Bendtner, Almunia, Djourou and Silvestre into the CL. :wink: Also believe AW would never leave a poisoned chalice to the new man like SAF did, horrible egomaniac that he is.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mackay
WTF Fact of the Day:

John Carver can only name 13 outfield players in his squad for Newcastle's match against Arsenal.

I wonder what TheTrueGeordie has to say about this :lol:
Original post by Mackay
WTF Fact of the Day:

Arsenal are 4/6 to beat Newcastle I nottice and even regardless, Arsenal have a ludicrously good record vs Newcastle. May invest...

Original post by iamthetruth
I wonder what TheTrueGeordie has to say about this :lol:

Yes! He's absolutely jokes man, love how bitter he gets in his videos. Sunderland derby loss meltdowns are comedy gold tbh
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
Boohoo ur a victim

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, just heard there's a lot down there at Ashburton Grove.
Original post by Zürich
Arsenal are 4/6 to beat Newcastle I nottice and even regardless, Arsenal have a ludicrously good record vs Newcastle. May invest...

You'll be fine this weekend. I do think you need to give Sanchez a rest, but Wenger's usually quite good at squad management so I'm sure he'll do it soon. It's a shame you've got so many injuries this season. Especially for Oxlade-Chamberlain, because Townsend wouldn't have got the England nod had he been fit and raring to go without that injury at Old Trafford.
You just know a similar 4-4 will happen at the weekend.
Original post by AR_95
Do you need a cup of coco with some marshmellows too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would love that.

Since we're always the victim.
Can someone remind me why we didn't sign Di Maria? Combination of him Ozil and Alexis would just be :coma:. In the summer there was loads of speculation he would join Arsenal?
Original post by Stefano93
Can someone remind me why we didn't sign Di Maria? Combination of him Ozil and Alexis would just be :coma:. In the summer there was loads of speculation he would join Arsenal?

Don't think we were gonna get two RM cast-offs in a row. Alexis, Ozil and ADM was never possible really, besides we couldn't afford all 3 in 2 seasons.
Di Maria went for £60m FFS, we cant afford that. Nor is he even worth that.
Original post by Zürich
Di Maria went for £60m FFS, we cant afford that. Nor is he even worth that.

He's probably £35mil max. Ozil hasn't looked a £40mil+ signing given his inconsistent performances aswell but out of the two I know who I'd have anyday. Like Tom says, he's literally the Prince of our club.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Stefano93
He's probably £35mil max. Ozil hasn't looked a £40mil+ signing given his inconsistent performances aswell but out of the two I know who I'd have anyday. Like Tom says, he's literally the Prince of our club.

Much of the criticism against Ozil has and continues to be ludicrous, couldnt believe that many said he played badly vs Monaco the other night when in fact he was outstanding. Having said that, our best player is Koscielny followed by Sanchez.

he's probably worth about £25m-£30m ish in truth.
Original post by Zürich
Much of the criticism against Ozil has and continues to be ludicrous, couldnt believe that many said he played badly vs Monaco the other night when in fact he was outstanding. Having said that, our best player is Koscielny followed by Sanchez.

:confused:. He was arguably our finest performer, how can people say he played badly? Given the media's burning desire to criticize Ozil I wouldn't say it's so suprising. I know Ozil will be fantastic as he grows in time with us.
So has Koscielny's value dropped £10 million this season Zurich?
Original post by The Shed End
So has Koscielny's value dropped £10 million this season Zurich?

Not sure what youre on about.

But Koscielny is one of the very best CBs in Europe.
Original post by Zürich

Interesting to hear your thoughts on this. Me and a few of my mates were discussing which player each side in the running for the top four couldn't do without: we agreed the psychological blow of Liverpool using Coutinho, Man United losing Rooney and City losing Aguero would be immense.

I automatically assumed you'd be lost without Sanchez, but then I remembered Koscielny, who is by far and away one of Wenger's best signings since the early-2000s.
Original post by Mackay
Interesting to hear your thoughts on this. Me and a few of my mates were discussing which player each side in the running for the top four couldn't do without: we agreed the psychological blow of Liverpool using Coutinho, Man United losing Rooney and City losing Aguero would be immense.

I automatically assumed you'd be lost without Sanchez, but then I remembered Koscielny, who is by far and away one of Wenger's best signings since the early-2000s.

Liverpool: Sterling then Henderson
Chelsea:Terry then Hazard
City:Aguero then Silva
Utd: De Gea then Rooney
Arsenal: Koscielny then Giroud.
Spurs: Eriksen then Kane

Koscielny doesnt get the props he deserves. When you think about how much people have creamed over Kompany since 2011 it is quite bizarre imo.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest