The Student Room Group

TfL Apprenticeships

All of TfL Apprenticeship schemes open on the 18th February.
Any one thinking of applying?

I'm currently on the scheme so if you have any questions do ask!

EDIT: All details of the scheme can be found on the website here --> http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/careers/apprenticeships
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
is there an age limit to it ?
Reply 2
I don't think so. As the oldest person who started this year is 29 now! Though if you're over 23 they receive less government fund and none if you have a degree. And they're allowed to favour younger people in the application process. But don't let that put you off as 4 of the 9 people who started this year had degrees and were over 23.
Reply 3
What areas do they have apprenticeships in? Also what level apprenitceships are there?
Reply 4
Original post by megan061
What areas do they have apprenticeships in? Also what level apprenticeships are there?

All the details are on the website here --> http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/careers/apprenticeships
I was successful last year, the key to success is to shake everyones hand with your left hand
Reply 6
Applications are now open! http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/careers/apprenticeships
Any questions about the schemes please do ask!
Reply 7
I've applied for the electrical fitter apprenticeship. Just wanted to know more about the whole process and what's involved? Also, any tips on being successful? Thanks a bunch! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Jetmira18
I've applied for the electrical fitter apprenticeship. Just wanted to know more about the whole process and what's involved? Also, any tips on being successful? Thanks a bunch! :smile:

It varies scheme to scheme but general you'll do an online situational judgment test to understand how you would react in situations, maths, and verbal reasoning tests. Then it'll be some form of assessment involving an interview and a group exercise.

Research and plan you're answers to questions you might be asked. ie give an example of when you've worked successfully as part of a team. Use the STAR method. Situation, Task, Action, Result.
And just make sure that you're passionate about learning new things.
Reply 9
Original post by qwerty457
It varies scheme to scheme but general you'll do an online situational judgment test to understand how you would react in situations, maths, and verbal reasoning tests. Then it'll be some form of assessment involving an interview and a group exercise.

Research and plan you're answers to questions you might be asked. ie give an example of when you've worked successfully as part of a team. Use the STAR method. Situation, Task, Action, Result.
And just make sure that you're passionate about learning new things.

Thank you so much. Are the online tests really difficult?
Reply 10
Original post by Jetmira18
Thank you so much. Are the online tests really difficult?

They're the standard tests used for apprenticeships and school leaver schemes so not tough for the role you're applying for. But do some practice before hand as you've only got one shot!
They're the standard tests used for apprenticeships and school leaver schemes so not tough for the role you're applying for. But do some practice before hand as you've only got one shot!

Are these tests before the interview stage? Can you only get to interview stage if you've passed the test/tests? Also, is it just one test or a few? And how long does the whole selection process last? How long does it take to know if you've got the job or not? I've recently sent off my application so I don't know when I should be hearing from them. Btw, sorry for all the questions haha
Hi
I have recently submitted my application to tfl for 3 year engineering apprenticeship and have taken the online situational judgement test ,however I have not done the numerical or any other reasoning test and have been given an interview time and date for tuesday 17th march 8:30 any idea what the interview will hold ? And whether there will be tests ?
Reply 13
Original post by MikeDoust97
Hi
I have recently submitted my application to tfl for 3 year engineering apprenticeship and have taken the online situational judgement test ,however I have not done the numerical or any other reasoning test and have been given an interview time and date for Tuesday 17th march 8:30 any idea what the interview will hold ? And whether there will be tests ?

I don't know about the tests as all schemes differ in the requirements but for the interview like I said before research and plan your answers to questions you might be asked. ie give an example of when you've worked successfully as part of a team. Use the STAR method for answering them. Situation, Task, Action, Result.
Some more examples might be a time when you've had to meet a deadline, or a time when you've lead a team to achieve a goal.

Don't take too much notice of the examples as they'll probably be tailored towards engineering. So solving problems, fixing stuff etc. Though every question will be based on a competency they want from you as an apprentice. If you want more information on the interview, email them and ask! The worst thing that will happen is that they'll not give you any information but they'll probably give you a few more details at the very least.

There's likely to be a group exercise as well where you'll work with some other candidates on a mock situation and be observed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi qwerty

When you talk about a time you had to meet a deadline, can you talk about coursework and other school work that had to be handed in on time? Or something completely outside of school?
Thanks
How did it go? Did you do a test or was it just an interview?
Thanks
Reply 16
anyone applied? when do we hear back
Reply 17
Original post by Lalala917362
Hi qwerty

When you talk about a time you had to meet a deadline, can you talk about coursework and other school work that had to be handed in on time? Or something completely outside of school?
Thanks

It can be anything though I did actually talk about coursework.
It can be anything though I did actually talk about coursework.

Thanks a bunch, I've done plenty of long coursework. 😊
hello qwerty
For the online assessments which should I practice? Considering there's a whole list on the website, do I only look at verbal reasoning and numerical test or the others as well?
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending