The Student Room Group

Bank of America Merrill Lynch - Banking Uncovered 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Looks like they're handing out offers today, who else has been accepted?? :biggrin:

Look forward to meeting some of you!
Reply 21
I got accepted :smile: Good luck to the rest of you.
Reply 22
Original post by anonymoous
Looks like they're handing out offers today, who else has been accepted?? :biggrin:

Look forward to meeting some of you!

Yaaay, I've also been accepted! :awesome:
Got in
I've been rejected. :frown: What were all your academics and EC's? Would like some feedback frankly. I have 11 A* at GCSE, 4 A's at AS with a 95% average and am predicted to achieve 4 A* at A-level. I've won a national economics essay competition, winning £500, came 2nd in another national essay competition, and a have an academic scholarship to my school. I've also created an economics magazine to be published nationwide, been selected for the McKinsey Leadership Academy and am captain of the school football team. What more could I have done?!?!?
Original post by tggfootymad
I've been rejected. :frown: What were all your academics and EC's? Would like some feedback frankly. I have 11 A* at GCSE, 4 A's at AS with a 95% average and am predicted to achieve 4 A* at A-level. I've won a national economics essay competition, winning £500, came 2nd in another national essay competition, and a have an academic scholarship to my school. I've also created an economics magazine to be published nationwide, been selected for the McKinsey Leadership Academy and am captain of the school football team. What more could I have done?!?!?

I guess you were unlucky then :/
Reply 26

In terms of academics your quite similar to me. However I wanted to ask in what section of the application did you mention that stuff? I have a couple of things I wanted to write but didn't because the application wasn't asking for those things. Unlucky though, you should of got in.
Original post by Aeonic
In terms of academics your quite similar to me. However I wanted to ask in what section of the application did you mention that stuff? I have a couple of things I wanted to write but didn't because the application wasn't asking for those things. Unlucky though, you should of got in.

Can't remember exactly now. I think there was a work experience section, might have put some in there. I got rejected from a similar thing for Nomura too so starting to think there's something wrong with me!
Reply 28
Nothing is wrong with you*, maybe rethink how you would do your application. You can back and see your application I think?
(edited 9 years ago)
Can't remember exactly now. I think there was a work experience section, might have put some in there. I got rejected from a similar thing for Nomura too so starting to think there's something wrong with me!

Mate, I also got rejected for Nomura's programme.
Original post by Anonynmous
Mate, I also got rejected for Nomura's programme.

At least you got on this! It's pretty depressing as I was hoping to pursue a career in investment banking, but if I can't even get on an a-level insight programme, I haven't got a chance! Yet not sure what more I could do, my academics, Ec's are all really good I thought.
At least you got on this! It's pretty depressing as I was hoping to pursue a career in investment banking, but if I can't even get on an a-level insight programme, I haven't got a chance! Yet not sure what more I could do, my academics, Ec's are all really good I thought.

I've got into loads lol, but yeah it's good.

tbh maybe it's down to your answers regarding commercial awareness and other competencies. All they want to hear are the buzzwords tbh.
Reply 32

tbh maybe it's down to your answers regarding commercial awareness and other competencies. All they want to hear are the buzzwords tbh.

I agree with this. I felt my commercial awareness answer was pretty good; I did it on the euro reaching a 12 year low vs the US dollar.

What are your academics and EC's like?

Ah ok. What do you mean by that? How should you go about answering them?
Original post by Aeonic
I agree with this. I felt my commercial awareness answer was pretty good; I did it on the euro reaching a 12 year low vs the US dollar.

Mine was on M&A and the current markets.
What are your academics and EC's like?

Ah ok. What do you mean by that? How should you go about answering them?

My academics are not as crazy as yours loooooool!

Research more and basically have an opinion on the area of interest you have regarding a current event.

I don't study economics by the way.
My academics are not as crazy as yours loooooool!

Research more and basically have an opinion on the area of interest you have regarding a current event.

I don't study economics by the way.

What did you write about?

And how and where did you demonstrate the competencies? They asked about work experience, your outside interests and why you'd be suited to the programme. What sort of things did you put down?

Thanks for the help!
What did you write about?

And how and where did you demonstrate the competencies? They asked about work experience, your outside interests and why you'd be suited to the programme. What sort of things did you put down?

Thanks for the help!

I wrote about M&A and the current markets.

I am fortunate to already have some work experience in IB, so used that to show interest. Outside interests, just stuff like charity and other things I've done.

For the why you'd be suited bit, what I did is talked about what makes BAML different to it's competitors.
I wrote about M&A and the current markets.

I am fortunate to already have some work experience in IB, so used that to show interest. Outside interests, just stuff like charity and other things I've done.

For the why you'd be suited bit, what I did is talked about what makes BAML different to it's competitors.

Ok, thanks.

Haha you so have to ignore the question they're actually asking, and suck up to them to get in? Good lesson I suppose.
Ok, thanks.

Haha you so have to ignore the question they're actually asking, and suck up to them to get in? Good lesson I suppose.

Not really lol, basically what you have to do is align yourself with the firm, say what their good at and what you can bring . Well, For me it makes sense...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending