The Student Room Group

Bank of America Merrill Lynch - Banking Uncovered 2015

Scroll to see replies

I got in. Good luck to everyone else.
Original post by Anonynmous
Not really lol, basically what you have to do is align yourself with the firm, say what their good at and what you can bring . Well, For me it makes sense...

Ok I see what you mean. You must be right, you got in after all. But when they ask why YOU are suited to the programme, talking excessively about THEM seems odd. I guess you have to say why they're different and good etc, and why you are a good fit as a part of that.

What, in your opinion, does make BOAML different btw?
Original post by tggfootymad

Easy to figure out with research. Not to divulge too much from my application, but it has to do with the specific divisions in the bank in comparison with other banks.

I think i've given you enough so you are able to deduce through research.
Easy to figure out with research. Not to divulge too much from my application, but it has to do with the specific divisions in the bank in comparison with other banks.

I think i've given you enough so you are able to deduce through research.

Ok thanks for your help. I'm not fishing for information, the deadline has passed and I didn't get in. I was purely curious for your opinion, but no worries.
Ive been accepted onto this, anyone else?
Mine was on M&A and the current markets.

Did you write about M&A in general, or a particular case study recently?
Ok I see what you mean. You must be right, you got in after all. But when they ask why YOU are suited to the programme, talking excessively about THEM seems odd. I guess you have to say why they're different and good etc, and why you are a good fit as a part of that.

I talked about why i thought i was suited, and only mentioned investment banking in general - no mention at all specific to BAML. They're not looking for bumlicks
Original post by newblood
Did you write about M&A in general, or a particular case study recently?

In general.
Original post by newblood
I talked about why i thought i was suited, and only mentioned investment banking in general - no mention at all specific to BAML. They're not looking for bumlicks

lol...
Original post by mmms95
Got rejected as well!! Probably because I submitted it quite late and I wrote my actual a level grades (gap year applicant) (my grades were not 4a*s lol) and I didn't rly explain the skills from my EC's just kinda listed them... Also I think my PS didn't rly explain how I was a good candidate just talked about why I want to go! Oh well

@tggfootymad, maybe it was your answer to your questions???

Posted from TSR Mobile

I submitted my app one day before the deadline :lol:
Reply 50
Ok thanks for your help. I'm not fishing for information, the deadline has passed and I didn't get in. I was purely curious for your opinion, but no worries.

I don't understand why people are so reluctant to help :confused:

Your ECs/grades are really impressive, so I suspect you're not doing a very good job of selling yourself. It's less to do with sucking up to BAML/whichever bank you're applying to, and more to do with how your personal skills/attributes are aligned to the team culture, and your ability to cope with the demands of IB. I.E are you/do you have the makings of the type of person they are looking. If that makes sense?

I wrote about the possible Grexit for the commercial awareness section, I can PM you what I wrote for that/personal statement. A successful applicant to last year's posted his commercial awareness section on the 2014 thread.
Original post by elle77

Your ECs/grades are really impressive, so I suspect you're not doing a very good job of selling yourself. It's less to do with sucking up to BAML/whichever bank you're applying to, and more to do with how your personal skills/attributes are aligned to the team culture, and your ability to cope with the demands of IB. I.E are you/do you have the makings of the type of person they are looking. If that makes sense?

I wrote about the possible Grexit for the commercial awareness section, I can PM you what I wrote for that/personal statement. A successful applicant to last year's posted his commercial awareness section on the 2014 thread.

I know :s-smilie:. People can be a bit weird on here.

From what people have said, I think I may have just taken the approach of, 'I'll list my achievements and academics and that will get me a place'. Whereas, it seems it is as important to show not just a list of achievements, but why you'd be a good fit for the firm, how you align with their culture, and that side of things. I think that's basically what you're saying. Is that right? Do you have any advice about how to go about doing that? How did you, for example, reveal within the questions your alignment with their culture and fit for IB?

Thank you, I would appreciate that.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out, hopefully it'll stand me in better stead for future applications :smile:

Are there any other IB insight days you are applying for for a-level students?
Original post by mmms95
Got rejected as well!! Probably because I submitted it quite late and I wrote my actual a level grades (gap year applicant) (my grades were not 4a*s lol) and I didn't rly explain the skills from my EC's just kinda listed them... Also I think my PS didn't rly explain how I was a good candidate just talked about why I want to go! Oh well

@tggfootymad, maybe it was your answer to your questions???

I'm sorry to hear that, don't at all be disheartened. The value of this, is now you understand what parts of your application weren't so strong and you could improve on that. I started of in a pretty much similar situation, now I'm at university and have perfected pretty much all aspects of my application. Just remember the competitiveness of this industry, so it's near impossible to get accepted onto every programme/internship etc..

If you would like more thorough feedback and pointers for your next application, don't hesitate to drop me a PM with your repsonses to the questsions.

There's a whole host of reasons which seperates BAML from its competition. Firstly its business model is designed in such a way to give departments the flexibility of following deals from origination to execution. For instance, the risk teams (credit), will sidetrack people in IBD such as M&A and work alongside throughout the duration of the deal for continous backlog support, as oppose to working only on the original due-dilligence.

Another reason is Bank of America's merger with Merrill Lynch, gives it a global powerhouse brand which in essence diversifies their risk portfolio. It gives the bank the flexibility of downsizing different sections of the bank depending on economic conditions without having to commit capital for new ventures. BAML is also what's known as a bulge bracket investment bank so their deal flow is of much higher calibre in comparison to other IBs, meaning it's a very good place to learn the ins and outs of very succesful multi-national companies.

Although, at this stage, they're not expecting you to know this.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by elle77

I guess I'll be the only one who will say it, i am reluctant to help since you are the competition. If I help you, you are likely to be a bigger threat to me as competition. Im sorry, but thats the way it goes. Other people may help you however, this is just my perspective.
(edited 9 years ago)
I know :s-smilie:. People can be a bit weird on here.

From what people have said, I think I may have just taken the approach of, 'I'll list my achievements and academics and that will get me a place'. Whereas, it seems it is as important to show not just a list of achievements, but why you'd be a good fit for the firm, how you align with their culture, and that side of things. I think that's basically what you're saying. Is that right? Do you have any advice about how to go about doing that? How did you, for example, reveal within the questions your alignment with their culture and fit for IB?

Thank you, I would appreciate that.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out, hopefully it'll stand me in better stead for future applications :smile:

Are there any other IB insight days you are applying for for a-level students?

Precisely, you're right, one way of going about it would be to state something you've done or achieved and then source evidence of what you've learned from it, for instance an example from my own application:

An achievement of mine which I believed to have helped me develop core competencies was my succesful completion of a 9 month programme (Entrepreneurs in Action) where I was selected to partake in a development programme alongside other students from local state-funded schools. During the programme, experienced professionals taught us the essential tools to make successful business proposals and tips to sell products.

I believe this experience was the foundation for me to developing my key competencies such as leadership, innovation, time management, team work and communication, through collaborating with both team members and the general public. I was continuously challenged to meet deadlines and come up with tangiable ideas which allowed me to develop myself as an individual. This experience gave me the confidence to pursue other ventures independently such as running my own skating organisation which has lasted 3 years. This emphasises my ability to commit to leadership, teamwork and organisation which I believe to be a vital part of banking.

As you can see, although it's one example, it covers a whole range of competencies and experiences I've learnt from it. It's not directly related to banking, however I made it clear what I learned and gave justifications for it :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by NeedAnswersASAP
I guess I'll be the only one who will say it, i am reluctant to help since you are the competition. If I help you, you are likely to be a bigger threat to me as competition. Im sorry, but thats the way it goes. Other people may help you however, this is just my perspective.

This is pretty much the general consensus for most people, especially given the already competitive nature of this environment.

Next year for springs it will probably be even more hostile then this, when interviews/tests start coming about with applications. Most people will only be willing to help given they get something in return, such as interview questions.

I'm always available for support, if anyone should want it :smile:

But the deadline has passed? Unless you're trying to prevent competition for spring weeks already, which is very strange! If only people would realise that by helping others, you help yourself in the long run too. It's called networking.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Precisely, you're right, one way of going about it would be to state something you've done or achieved and then source evidence of what you've learned from it, for instance an example from my own application:

An achievement of mine which I believed to have helped me develop core competencies was my succesful completion of a 9 month programme (Entrepreneurs in Action) where I was selected to partake in a development programme alongside other students from local state-funded schools. During the programme, experienced professionals taught us the essential tools to make successful business proposals and tips to sell products.

I believe this experience was the foundation for me to developing my key competencies such as leadership, innovation, time management, team work and communication, through collaborating with both team members and the general public. I was continuously challenged to meet deadlines and come up with tangiable ideas which allowed me to develop myself as an individual. This experience gave me the confidence to pursue other ventures independently such as running my own skating organisation which has lasted 3 years. This emphasises my ability to commit to leadership, teamwork and organisation which I believe to be a vital part of banking.

As you can see, although it's one example, it covers a whole range of competencies and experiences I've learnt from it. It's not directly related to banking, however I made it clear what I learned and gave justifications for it :smile:

Thank you very much for the help. I've dropped you a PM too :smile:

Your networking game is non-existant brah if you think like that.

To tggfootymad - If you want a copy of my application and other apps I've made then feel free to ask in PM.

I've been in a few others too (other BB banks and trading houses).
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Good luck lads, did this programme last year and now I'm on their spring week internship programme.

If you want any input from me, don't hesitate to ask :smile:

Hi Abdul, can you tell me about the two days like what to expect and any before hand research needed. Also, please tell me about your experience :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending