The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SirJimmus
Hey :smile: I'm a first year studying classics at Cambridge- strange, I know, but I have a major ambition to become a doctor. I'm currently thinking to apply for 2017, kings or St. George's since they both seem to cater quite nicely to non-science postgrads, plus I quite like the idea of studying in London. I should probably know this already but so far I haven't done a massive amount of research into it- when exactly will I need to begin the application process? Later this year? 2016? Cheers (y)

Hey! Sorry to butt in, just wanted to share that I am a classics graduate (oxford, sorry) and applied for GEMS this year at Kings, Warwick, Newcastle, and Southampton. I've had offers from newcastle and southampton (plus an offer for kings 5 year, which I can't take up due to finances) and have firmed southampton. Things you might want to bear in mind are that sgul cut their gem course massively this year, so it's worth keeping an eye on the situation as they may phase it out completely. Also GAMSAT is pretty tough if you're not a scientist...especially since you'll be applying during your final year! Ukcat is much less time consuming and in my opinion suits classicists well (the reading comprehension and code analysis parts, anyway).

Anyway, best of luck, feel free to PM me any questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello, I am a BSc Nursing (mental health) student, about to start my second year.
since starting the course I have found myself particularly interested in the scientific/diagnosis aspect, therefore I am strongly considering applying for a medicine degree to start in 2017. I didn't do A levels but I am aware that in some universities such as St Georges, they don't included A levels in the application process for graduate entry courses. Anyway, I am just looking for some advice on how good a chance I have of getting a place, is it worth apply and sitting the GAMSAT, or do you think it's more than likely they will have cancelled grad entry courses by 2017?
Original post by sophie_121
Hello, I am a BSc Nursing (mental health) student, about to start my second year.
since starting the course I have found myself particularly interested in the scientific/diagnosis aspect, therefore I am strongly considering applying for a medicine degree to start in 2017. I didn't do A levels but I am aware that in some universities such as St Georges, they don't included A levels in the application process for graduate entry courses. Anyway, I am just looking for some advice on how good a chance I have of getting a place, is it worth apply and sitting the GAMSAT, or do you think it's more than likely they will have cancelled grad entry courses by 2017?

Hey, I doubt it will be completely dissolved by 2017, but I do think places will be very reduced by then. You can always sit exams and not apply, it will give you a good feel and great practice. Also while most universities don't have specifics for A-Levels, I would definitely contact uni's you want to apply to and see if they're happy to accept alternative qualifications, I think pretty much everyone who got into St George's this year (except international students) had done A-levels. But @ForestCat will definitely be more helpful than I. *Note, also I have noticed a rather large influx of nurses going into medicine :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Absorbaloff
Hey, I doubt it will be completely dissolved by 2017, but I do think places will be very reduced by then. You can always sit exams and not apply, it will give you a good feel and great practice. Also while most universities don't have specifics for A-Levels, I would definitely contact uni's you want to apply to and see if they're happy to accept alternative qualifications, I think pretty much everyone who got into St George's this year (except international students) had done A-levels. But @ForestCat will definitely be more helpful than I. *Note, also I have noticed a rather influx of nurses going into medicine :smile:

Thanks for the help!
I emailed St Georges today and this was their reply.

Dear Sophie,

Thank you for your email.

Yes this correct, if you have the relevant degree classification and the required GAMSAT score then you have as good a chance as anyone else in getting through. We do not look at you’re a levels or GCSE grades so the route that you took does not matter.

The application is purely based on your degree, GAMSAT result, work experience and interview performance.

I know I can't just rely on this though, I have been thinking about taking bio and chem A level in night school to strengthen my application.
Thanks for the help!

Dear Sophie,

Yes this correct, if you have the relevant degree classification and the required GAMSAT score then you have as good a chance as anyone else in getting through. We do not look at you’re a levels or GCSE grades so the route that you took does not matter.

The application is purely based on your degree, GAMSAT result, work experience and interview performance.

I know I can't just rely on this though, I have been thinking about taking bio and chem A level in night school to strengthen my application.

I would definitely say it's worth doing A-level bio and chem. It'll open up more unis for you and it would make doing the entrance exams so much easier. I can't say about mental health nursing, but the biology in adult nursing is seriously lacking and not particularly helpful for either the gamsat or bmat
Reply 25
Thanks for the help!

Dear Sophie,

Don't bother taking the A levels, just get some books and study it. I expect you'll find the Biology quite easy to get to grips with and the Chemistry and Physics a little bit more work. Then just sit the GAMSAT, it'd be cheaper than taking A levels in Bio and Chem.

In addition the number of doors Bio and Chem A levels would open aren't that many. SGUL is not the only one to base offers only on your degree, GAMSAT result, work experience and interview performance. There are a fair few others. Notts and Swansea come to mind, Warwick and Newcastle also though they are UKCAT.
I would definitely say it's worth doing A-level bio and chem. It'll open up more unis for you and it would make doing the entrance exams so much easier. I can't say about mental health nursing, but the biology in adult nursing is seriously lacking and not particularly helpful for either the gamsat or bmat

With no science A levels and taking UKCAT you can apply to Warwick and Newcastle and (for now, anyway) KCL. With a Chemistry A Level and the UKCAT you can apply to Southampton (You need a C). With Chemistry plus 1 or 2 other science A Levels and no entrance exam you can apply to Cambridge (you need to get top grades though).

It is by no means necessary to strengthen your application by getting extra a levels unless the uni specifically requests them. It's a waste of money and time.

For GAMSAT-requiring-courses, any uni who will accept an arts grad will ignore A levels unless they explicitly state otherwise, so it's seriously not worth doing.
By 2017 there may be more rigorous academic requirements especially with the changes placed by the gmc. And while ukcat may not require so much scientific knowledge, gamsat does, and while revision is always good it was nice to have the back up knowledge of my a levels. Although if you have done access or btec, they'll definitely provide all you need. A levels can be very expensive and difficult to take while you're studying a degree, it's up to you what you want to do. Most important thing now is to get a good degree classification, entrance exam result and lots of experience :smile:
Reply 28
By 2017 there may be more rigorous academic requirements especially with the changes placed by the gmc.

Doubt it. Academics have remained very much unchanged, with the exception of degree results moving from 2ii to 2i and fluctuations in entrance exam scores.
If you're referring to the change in point of registration, I wouldn't expect a change in entry requirements, more likely the courses themselves will change. There is a slow movement to doing away with F1 altogether so I imagine more of this will be incorporated within the degree itself.
I mean more in an only accepting science graduates or a reduction in places leading them to reduce the applicant pool. Im surprised that St Georges reduced their intake by nearly half and didnt actually change their entrance criteria by much except increasing gamsat scores.
Reply 30
I mean more in an only accepting science graduates or a reduction in places leading them to reduce the applicant pool. Im surprised that St Georges reduced their intake by nearly half and didnt actually change their entrance criteria by much except increasing gamsat scores.

The GAMSAT cut offs all increased this year. SGUL made the cut in places last year, though they did made the cut disproportionately in contrast to their A100 course.
SGUL interviewed the same number of people before, so all that's happened is an increase in competition at interview.

Science only has not been mentioned by the GMC, HEE, MSC, BMA or anyone other than a frustrated admissions tutor at KCL.
Reply 31
Hi there everyone, I too hope to apply for entry Sept 2017, some days it feels like it's miles away, some days it feels like there isn't enough time to do everything I need to do before applying!

I'm 25 years old and currently work full time in Live TV but I've been considering medicine on and off for pretty much the last 15 years! Both of my parents were doctors (retired early) and are not keen on me doing medicine but I've finally come to a decision and I'm going to go for it!

I have a MA in Modern History (2:1) from St Andrews and a MLitt in Film Studies also from St Andrews. 3As in arts/humanities A-levels from way back but as mentioned numerous times in this thread and others they don't seem to factor in to most school's decisions.

I'm currently taking A-Level Chemistry and Biology aiming to have those done by next summer (well they'll have to be done by then as thats the last time I can take exams under the old spec), and I'll probably look to re-take Maths AS-Level (taking exams in summer 2017, got a horrible grade back in 2006 when I took it at school so looking to redeem myself!) so that opens up Cambridge as an option, especially as I've now lost King's.

Was originally thinking of just taking UKCAT but after losing King's as an option I'm now considering GAMSAT to give me the option of St George's as I might want to stay in London. I still like the sound of Southampton and Newcastle though.

So for now it's just about cracking on with the A-Levels, starting the volunteering with my local hospital (induction next week!) and trying my best to find some shadowing/work experience in London, the latter I'm not doing too well on at the moment but I'll keep trying!

Best of luck to everyone, i'm looking forward to the next couple of years and finding out our fate re. funding and places/courses!
Original post by mscking7
Hi there everyone, I too hope to apply for entry Sept 2017, some days it feels like it's miles away, some days it feels like there isn't enough time to do everything I need to do before applying!

I'm 25 years old and currently work full time in Live TV but I've been considering medicine on and off for pretty much the last 15 years! Both of my parents were doctors (retired early) and are not keen on me doing medicine but I've finally come to a decision and I'm going to go for it!

I have a MA in Modern History (2:1) from St Andrews and a MLitt in Film Studies also from St Andrews. 3As in arts/humanities A-levels from way back but as mentioned numerous times in this thread and others they don't seem to factor in to most school's decisions.

I'm currently taking A-Level Chemistry and Biology aiming to have those done by next summer (well they'll have to be done by then as thats the last time I can take exams under the old spec), and I'll probably look to re-take Maths AS-Level (taking exams in summer 2017, got a horrible grade back in 2006 when I took it at school so looking to redeem myself!) so that opens up Cambridge as an option, especially as I've now lost King's.

Was originally thinking of just taking UKCAT but after losing King's as an option I'm now considering GAMSAT to give me the option of St George's as I might want to stay in London. I still like the sound of Southampton and Newcastle though.

So for now it's just about cracking on with the A-Levels, starting the volunteering with my local hospital (induction next week!) and trying my best to find some shadowing/work experience in London, the latter I'm not doing too well on at the moment but I'll keep trying!

Best of luck to everyone, i'm looking forward to the next couple of years and finding out our fate re. funding and places/courses!

Sounds like you're doing all the right things! Best of luck!
Hey there! This is super early but here goes.

I'm doing infectious disease at Edinburgh (graduating in 2017).

I missed my medical school offer by 4 UMS marks in A2 Chemistry back when I was at school - in reality given how UMS works; I probably missed it by about 1 - 2 marks. It was a costly mistake both time wise and financially that's for sure!

It is what it is, I'm hoping GEM is still a valid option come 2017, I've heard some rumours of big changes to the system - so I hope they are unfounded.
Hey! I'm currently in my first year at Cardiff and studying Physiotherapy but I'm hoping to apply for GEM 2017. I'm so excited! However, I keep thinking about what sort of work experience I'll need to do. In years 2 and 3 of my course I spend a lot of time on placement in different areas of Physio, so in theory I should have a lot/a range of experience. I also have a small amount of experience in a hospice but I think that's rather menial in comparison. Can anyone shed any light on this?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by _youngdracula
Hey! I'm currently in my first year at Cardiff and studying Physiotherapy but I'm hoping to apply for GEM 2017. I'm so excited! However, I keep thinking about what sort of work experience I'll need to do. In years 2 and 3 of my course I spend a lot of time on placement in different areas of Physio, so in theory I should have a lot/a range of experience. I also have a small amount of experience in a hospice but I think that's rather menial in comparison. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I think the work experience with your degree will be super useful....
Maybe if you have extra time during the summer/ weekends apply for a volunteer position at your local hospital. They always offer voluntery positions and can be really useful for medicine.

But because youll work with patients in your pysio degree, and your volunteering at a hospice, try working with kids? dementia patients etc? something different

Hope that helps :smile:
Hi everybody. I'm currently an undergraduate in Health Sciences in London. I'm thinking about applying for medicine in the future 2017/18.

I have a decent amount of experience in care. I do bank HCA work and volunteer at my local hospice. I'm trying to get a head start and think about entrance exams and which uni's to apply for. It's really daunting but I'm so excited!
Original post by Msadiq
I think the work experience with your degree will be super useful....
Maybe if you have extra time during the summer/ weekends apply for a volunteer position at your local hospital. They always offer voluntery positions and can be really useful for medicine.

But because youll work with patients in your pysio degree, and your volunteering at a hospice, try working with kids? dementia patients etc? something different

Hope that helps :smile:

Yeah I've been looking into hospital volunteering as my course is based on a hospital campus so it shouldn't be too difficult to fit in around my lecture timetable! But yeah that's really helpful, thanks! :smile:
Hi, if I'm looking to apply in 2017 for 2018 entry, can I take the GAMSAT in September 2016 so I know my score when applying? As says it is valid for two application cycles? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by -inspired-
I wouldn't worry too much Thamaya, I don't think they could remove the option for graduates to get into medicine without a fight so if the GMC did remove Graduate Medicine I think the NHS would have to change the funding system for graduates on the 5 year degree to make it more accessible. Hopefully it won't change too much in the next couple of years though, fingers crossed!

Why on earth does the GMC want to remove GEM? I've heard people say postgrad doctors make some of the best doctors.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending