The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Still waiting to hear from Travers Smith... anyone received anything?
Reply 4701
Original post by Jingojango
Congrats! How did you find the interview?

It was very conversational and relaxed but I made sure I set the tone that way from the beginning. Pretty straightforward competency questions, just be relaxed and try to be as natural as possible. There were no specific commercial questions but I made sure to demonstrate that I researched the firm when I asked questions.
Original post by Kidioteque
Yeah, I'm in the same boat - they've definitely filled their schemes but it's just a bit rude not to have sent anything. I mean, how long does it really take to write an email?

Same boat here too! I have been waiting for ages. I also called graduate recruitment to ask when their assessment centres will be running and they said throughout March, so I was feeling hopeful but now it is nearing the end of March and still nothing.......

By the way, they do not email, they post you a letter, so keep an eye on the post!
Original post by ba_23
It was very conversational and relaxed but I made sure I set the tone that way from the beginning. Pretty straightforward competency questions, just be relaxed and try to be as natural as possible. There were no specific commercial questions but I made sure to demonstrate that I researched the firm when I asked questions.

Great advice, thank you! I hope the vac scheme goes well:smile:
Original post by SarahUniversity
I haven't heard anything either. I read on some of the earlier pages that people have been sent tests so I'm just assuming that I'll be sent a rejection at some point. I tried emailing their trainee recruitment team but I just got an email back saying it couldn't be sent and that the email address didn't exist. Guess we'll just have to wait!

Yeah, my friend was sent a test to do but has already received her post-test rejection! Fully expecting a rejection, just thought it was strange my friend had already received hers a few weeks ago!
Original post by Fashgal
Hill Dickinson?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nothing since I did the online test, the deadline was the 17th wasn't it? Should hear soon I would guess.
Original post by LawStudent30
Nothing since I did the online test, the deadline was the 17th wasn't it? Should hear soon I would guess.

Yeah. I'm guessing that it will be soon. They are cutting it very fine for the spring vacation scheme though. People will have to sort accommodation and it starts in just over 3 weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by adriennbrigden
I asked Eversheds Legal Trainees on Twitter. I am exactly the same, some people have had PFOs so the wait for us is horrendous.

I had my face to face in Newcastle last Friday and I received an offer the following Monday. I think it depends on the office/size of recruitment
Original post by Fashgal
Yeah. I'm guessing that it will be soon. They are cutting it very fine for the spring vacation scheme though. People will have to sort accommodation and it starts in just over 3 weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow that is cutting it fine! Did you apply for the Spring scheme? Hope you hear back ASAP then! I applied to the summer scheme. I'm not very good at the Watson Glaser tests so not expecting good news!
Original post by LawStudent30
Oh wow that is cutting it fine! Did you apply for the Spring scheme? Hope you hear back ASAP then! I applied to the summer scheme. I'm not very good at the Watson Glaser tests so not expecting good news!

Yes. Applied for the spring scheme. I keep thinking that the spring scheme offers must have been sent out by now and I'm just waiting for a rejection. Watson glaser tests can really go either way. Not completely confident myself. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4710
hi has anybody heard from Wedlake Bell?? I heard around 13th March last year, and I know if we don't hear anything it's rejection..wondering if it's PFO this year for me..
Is anyone going to a Gateley AC?
Is anybody still waiting on news from Reed Smith? I applied in early Jan, and not heard a peep since receiving the report of my situational strengths test!
Reply 4713
Has anybody got or know of a hill Dickinson spring vac scheme offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quick question to all of those people on this thread that have been extremely successful with securing a vac scheme this year...

How did your application look after first year in terms of grades, work experience, extra-curricular etc.

I'll have attended 4 open days, had a weeks work experience at Ward Haddaway in Newcastle, I'm part of the Pathways Plus Scheme so will have attended a residential for that and should also get work experience with Hogan Lovells/DLA Piper/LinkLaters...

In terms of extra-curricular I play tennis for my college team and I'm my college's events/bar officer. Should be getting a solid 2:1 this year also.

Am I in a decent position for securing vac schemes? Or should I try and get more work experience over the summer?

Cheers
Original post by J-SP
Sounds like a pretty solid application form to me, purely based on what you have said.

If anything I would suggest more positions of responsibility/extra curriculars than work experience, especially anything that would demonstrate more team working.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Excellent, cheers.

Forgot to add that I work in one the student union bars and was promoted to supervisor last week. Suppose that could potentially demonstrate my ability to work, and even lead, a team.

I'll certainly try and add a little more though, and obviously I understand that a good CV is just a small portion of what will make me successful.
Original post by Conzy210
Quick question to all of those people on this thread that have been extremely successful with securing a vac scheme this year...

How did your application look after first year in terms of grades, work experience, extra-curricular etc.

I'll have attended 4 open days, had a weeks work experience at Ward Haddaway in Newcastle, I'm part of the Pathways Plus Scheme so will have attended a residential for that and should also get work experience with Hogan Lovells/DLA Piper/LinkLaters...

In terms of extra-curricular I play tennis for my college team and I'm my college's events/bar officer. Should be getting a solid 2:1 this year also.

Am I in a decent position for securing vac schemes? Or should I try and get more work experience over the summer?

Cheers

Hi, iv somehow managed to secure 4 vacation schemes so I guess I'm qualified to answer this.

I have about 4 weeks worth of work experience at various London firms, but no open days etc. Your application sounds great and the amount of work experience you have certainly seems sufficient (although more is always better). More positions of responsibility/charity work would be good tho. Your grades certainly meet the general requirement.

Overall you seem in a decent position, tbh a lot of it comes down to researching the firm thoroughly and developing good interview technique.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Lawyertime
Hi, iv somehow managed to secure 4 vacation schemes so I guess I'm qualified to answer this.

I have about 4 weeks worth of work experience at various London firms, but no open days etc. Your application sounds great and the amount of work experience you have certainly seems sufficient (although more is always better). More positions of responsibility/charity work would be good tho. Your grades certainly meet the general requirement.

Overall you seem in a decent position, tbh a lot of it comes down to researching the firm thoroughly and developing good interview technique.

Hope this helps :smile:

Congrats mate, very decent achievement.

That certainly helps and I'm glad that you think I'm a good position, I'll take your advice on board and hopefully be as successful as you.

Completely agree about interview technique and research too, I just want to get myself into a position where I at least get to that stage this summer.
Original post by elmmp
hi has anybody heard from Wedlake Bell?? I heard around 13th March last year, and I know if we don't hear anything it's rejection..wondering if it's PFO this year for me..

Nothing from them yet.., when did you apply?
Anyone heard whether Gibson Dunn has started interviews yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending