The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abdul-Karim
They call to give an offer.

I would definitely shoot their HR grad recruitment team an email. Good luck, have you got any other offers?

Thanks :smile: Morgan Stanley so far, waiting for HSBC and RBCCM (which clashs with MS btw :frown:), interview soon with Barclays (anyone knows the date of their spring week?)
Original post by lizzygrant
Thanks :smile: Morgan Stanley so far, waiting for HSBC and RBCCM (which clashs with MS btw :frown:), interview soon with Barclays (anyone knows the date of their spring week?)

Ones starting in 4 days and the other beginning week commencing the 14th.

Very good, all the best! What's your profile, out of interest?
Ones starting in 4 days and the other beginning week commencing the 14th.

Very good, all the best! What's your profile, out of interest?

Thanks! Were you talking about the MS date or the Barclays date?
How about you, what offer have you got and what division are you interested in?

I'm first-year doing Maths & CompSci at Bath. My division of interest is IBD, but my plan B is technology in IB.
Thanks! Were you talking about the MS date or the Barclays date?
How about you, what offer have you got and what division are you interested in?

I'm first-year doing Maths & CompSci at Bath. My division of interest is IBD, but my plan B is technology in IB.

Barclays starts 13th I meant, not 14th.

My dream is to slave away for my MD editing pitchbooks at 1am in the morning, looking for gramatical errors so IBD is my go to division.

I'm doing BarCap, HSBC & BAML 0 IBD
Barclays starts 13th I meant, not 14th.

My dream is to slave away for my MD editing pitchbooks at 1am in the morning, looking for gramatical errors so IBD is my go to division.

I'm doing BarCap, HSBC & BAML 0 IBD

Well done! You must have had a lot of preparation. I started quite late in the year so it took me quite a few rejections before things start to take off :biggrin: For me I don't mind being too busy tbh :colondollar:

Most likely if I get the BarCap one it will clash with MS as it will be the one from 13/4, so I'm very unlucky :frown: Was gonna apply soon for BAML summer - do you know if they started interviewing already?
Well done! You must have had a lot of preparation. I started quite late in the year so it took me quite a few rejections before things start to take off :biggrin: For me I don't mind being too busy tbh :colondollar:

Most likely if I get the BarCap one it will clash with MS as it will be the one from 13/4, so I'm very unlucky :frown: Was gonna apply soon for BAML summer - do you know if they started interviewing already?

I'm not sure about BAML and yeah I suppose BarCap would clash. I would go with MS regardless. All the best for the summer apps.
Original post by Sun_Bear
Another reason I can think of are exit opps. If you go into s&t, you gotta be bloody sure that's what you want to do for the rest of your life because the skill set you develop is a lot more limited. Baring in mind that you will most likely be let go by your employer at one stage in ur career (the stats heavily point to this no matter how good you think you will be) (this could be through automation, poor economy, office politics whatever) you will struggle to transition into another job at the same level. On the other hand m&a/ibd I feel develops you into a professional that companies will want whatever the state of the economy (including high paying roles in industry, look at a lot of the recent CEOs and Cfos of big companies come from ibd backgrounds) or even other ibs.

Personally disagree. Exit opps from S&T are pretty strong. Knowledge of the markets (very strong knowledge if you've not been fired from your desk for being pants at it) leads you to (if you can interview well) Hedge Funds, then ofc investment management / asset / wealth management.
Original post by JackR7821
Personally disagree. Exit opps from S&T are pretty strong. Knowledge of the markets (very strong knowledge if you've not been fired from your desk for being pants at it) leads you to (if you can interview well) Hedge Funds, then ofc investment management / asset / wealth management.

My view is if one is bright enough to work in IB then they are good enough to predict if they would be sacked soon and flexible enough to find a suitable alternative.

Both of you had fair points though, IBD seems to be more secure and I have seen a lot of people change from S&T to hedge fund, etc.
Loool I completely bottled my RBC phone interview. Anyone else get the clock and cigarette questions?
scuffed up BAML application :smile:

Lol just read this and laughed cos that is essentially what most people in ibd end up doing, and most don't know this when they start haha
Original post by tazza ma razza

What does that mean? Have they started responding for summer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by youraveragestudent
Loool I completely bottled my RBC phone interview. Anyone else get the clock and cigarette questions?

When was your interview? You got brainteasers? what?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by youraveragestudent

I think some were interviewed by employees there, some were interviewed by HR (I was). The interview only lasted 15 mins so can't see any point why they asked brain-teaser, they didn't even ask me any competency questions there.

Original post by tazza ma razza

What does that mean???? Can you tell us please?
Do the RBC interviews get recorded? Or are they just done based on what the interviewer thought and they reports back?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Might be a silly question, but how many suits do we need for a Spring Internship? :smile:
Original post by TheBankinator
Might be a silly question, but how many suits do we need for a Spring Internship? :smile:

And how many shirts? :smile:
Original post by TheBankinator

1 would be fine :smile:

And how many shirts? :smile:

3, just clean the one you wear on monday for thursday, and the one you wear on tuesday for Friday :rolleyes:

My dream is to slave away for my MD editing pitchbooks at 1am in the morning, looking for gramatical errors.

That sounds like really good fun
Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you guys find good about this job?

Latest

Trending

Trending