The Student Room Group

Is A-Level Chemistry hard?

On a scale of 1-10 how difficult is A-level chemistry??

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's quite hard but it is manageable. You just have to put the work in.
Personally 5/10. I find that with chemistry, exam papers are always repeated and if you learn the mark scheme and have a good understanding of the syllabus - it's a breeze. With organic chemistry (my favourite :colondollar:), independent study is a definite to stay on top of things because it is very abstract. Physical and inorganic chemistry require less work. This is from my own experience though.
(edited 9 years ago)
I found it ridiculously hard.... I shouldn't have done Chemistry A-level, I was pressured into it by family and friends and it was the biggest mistake that I have ever made in my academic career...(so far)...
I wish I never did it as I had no real interest in it...
Unless you have a real passion for it, don't do it....
It's hard but fun, best lessons are my chemistry lessons.
6 or 7? I'm a couple of weeks from finishing the AS course and I honestly have found it fairly straightforward. I'd feel confident now being able to go into an Unit 1 exam and come out with an A. Unit 2 requires a bit more work but I enjoy chemistry and I find it enjoyable to revise too so it's not been too difficult at all. Of course there will be a jump from AS to A2 but for now, it's my favourite subject.
Reply 6
10...**** chemistry..**** A-Levels..
Reply 7
Original post by Bethaaaaany
6 or 7? I'm a couple of weeks from finishing the AS course and I honestly have found it fairly straightforward. I'd feel confident now being able to go into an Unit 1 exam and come out with an A. Unit 2 requires a bit more work but I enjoy chemistry and I find it enjoyable to revise too so it's not been too difficult at all. Of course there will be a jump from AS to A2 but for now, it's my favourite subject.

Just like me
Maths being a close second favorite for me

OP
Chemistry is hard but take my advice
There is no easy A level
You can go far if you put the work in
I learnt the hard way
I flopped AS last year and am now repeating it
Work your socks off OP:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by ProNoob
Just like me
Maths being a close second favorite for me

OP
Chemistry is hard but take my advice
There is no easy A level
You can go far if you put the work in
I learnt the hard way
I flopped AS last year and am now repeating it
Work your socks off OP:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the advice! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by vee_wuvshugs
Personally 5/10. I find that with chemistry, exam papers are always repeated and if you learn the mark scheme and have a good understanding of the syllabus - it's a breeze. With organic chemistry (my favourite :colondollar:), independent study is a definite to stay on top of things because it is very abstract. Physical and inorganic chemistry require less work. This is from my own experience though.

What does organic chemistry consist of??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DeeXiomara
Thank you for the advice! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DeeXiomara
What does organic chemistry consist of??

Posted from TSR Mobile

For AQA AS the organic chemistry syllabus includes:

Nomanclature - naming of organic substances (this is developed during the course of AS and A2

alcohols

Isomerism

Alkanes

haloalkanes

alkenes

reaction mechanisms

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/specifications/alevel/AQA-2420-W-SP-14.PDF

Quick Reply

Latest