The Student Room Group

How would you rather die?

Poll

I would rather die in:

Out of morbid curiosity.

In the sinking of the Titanic or in 9/11?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Birkenhead
Out of morbid curiosity.

In the sinking of the Titanic or in 9/11?

It's a dark question but I'd choose titanic

Posted from TSR Mobile
9/11
Drowning would be the worst death

Posted from TSR Mobile
9/11
Reply 4
Burning/being crushed or drowning... hmm probably Titanic because it wouldn't be as painful as 9/11.
Reply 5
Original post by Yeah dude
It's a dark question but I'd choose titanic

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Kangie
Burning/being crushed or drowning... hmm probably Titanic because it wouldn't be as painful as 9/11.

Why? The chances of dying instantly in 9/11 were much higher than they would have been on the Titanic, where you would have been subjected to acute and prolonged agony before doing so.

While those in 9/11 were given the small mercy of being able to jump to their deaths rather than burn to death in the flames, no such opportunity existed for those on the Titanic (bar the small window when it capisized and one half was in the air - which would have only been available to some survivors).

Families on the Titanic would have had the additional suffering of seeing their relations perish alongside them, while most of those in 9/11 were workers who would have had the small comfort of knowing their families would probably live for many years.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Probably Titanic. I listened to the audio of someone who managed to get a call out whilst he was still in the tower before it collapsed. When it starts collapsing you can hear his screams... It is harrowing.
9/11 but personally I have always wanted to die as an old lady rocking back and forth on my wooden rocking chair, not having a clue that I died :smile:
Why do most people say 9/11? Surely a painful death is the least thing people want to experience.
Why? The chances of dying instantly in 9/11 were much higher than they would have been on the Titanic, where you would have been subjected to acute and prolonged agony before doing so.

While those in 9/11 were given the small mercy of being able to jump to their deaths rather than burn to death in the flames, no such opportunity existed for those on the Titanic (bar the small window when it capisized and one half was in the air - which would have only been available to some survivors on board).

Families on the Titanic would have had the additional suffering of seeing their relations perish alongside them, while most of those in 9/11 were workers who would have had the small comfort of knowing their families would probably live for many years.

We'll in 9/11 you wouldn't exactly think logically straight away, you'd think help was on way and wait it out until they came, which unfortunately didn't happen, so jumping wouldn't be on your mind straight away, plus the black smoke must've made it almost impossible to breath causing you to choke, plus the floors near the impact zone were extremely hot. Plus then you have your families, you have to explain what is happening, tell them you love them, etc which isn't easy when you're in a situation like that as you're in so much shock you cannot think straight...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think my fear of drowning in ice cold water trumps my fear of falling, so I'd pick 9/11.
Reply 11
Original post by Mining
Probably Titanic. I listened to the audio of someone who managed to get a call out whilst he was still in the tower before it collapsed. When it starts collapsing you can hear his screams... It is harrowing.

What do you reckon the people on the Titanic were doing? Sighing impatiently and checking their watches as their ship capsized, bodies flew down from the ascending section and they were submerged in the unimaginably cold water of the Atlantic ocean?

Original post by German123
Why do most people say 9/11? Surely a painful death is the least thing people want to experience.

That is probably why some people, on balance, are choosing 9/11.
What do you reckon the people on the Titanic were doing? Sighing impatiently and checking their watches as their ship capsized, bodies flew down from the ascending section and they were submerged in the unimaginably cold water of the Atlantic ocean?

Well how is drowning more painful than fire? It is not.

Anyway, i think it is vest to leave it here.
Reply 13

It is hard to scream if your teeth are chattering. :rolleyes:
Titanic WILL be painful. 9/11 may or may not be painful (depends if you died on impact)
Original post by Kangie

Yup, because suffering from hypothermia until your muscles ache so badly you can't move them, causing you to gradually inhale water until you drown is so much less painful than exploding in a plane crash.
Reply 16

While those in 9/11 were given the small mercy of being able to jump to their deaths rather than burn to death in the flames, no such opportunity existed for those on the Titanic (bar the small window when it capisized and one half was in the air - which would have only been available to some survivors).

1. If you died instantly in 9/11 then you wouldn't have time to reflect on your life.
2. I would probably be one of those people who jumped out the window but that would cause even more pain and probably scar the people at the bottom of the buildings by seeing your mangled body (or what was left of it).
3. At least they would die together, they will probably be in the comfort of their loved one's arms as they drown. Also, if I was in 9/11, I don't think I would have ANY comfort at all.
Reply 17
Original post by XMaramena
Yup, because suffering from hypothermia until your muscles ache so badly you can't move them, causing you to gradually inhale water until you drown is so much less painful than exploding in a plane crash.

I said my opinion, no need to get snappy lol.

Well, those on the Titanic could have opted to drown themselves - apparently drowning is an extremely peaceful way to go, but quite how that was communicated I'm not sure... Maybe those who lost consciousness but were rescued before they died.
9/11 as it is 417 metres tall
Acceleration due to gravity is 9.81ms^2
It will take me approximately 42.5 seconds to fall down to my death
While drowning would take me approximately 3-4 minutes to die.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest