The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield Uni accommodation?

I've had an offer for Journalism at Sheffield so come September (fingers crossed) I'll be off but I'm interested in the shared bathroom accommodation and can't find much about it online. Anyone know what it's like compared to the en-suite/shared at other unis??
Reply 1
You on campus or private accommodation?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Campus :smile:
Moved from Student Accommodation to Uni. of Sheffield forum. :h:
Original post by FearsomeHippo74
I've had an offer for Journalism at Sheffield so come September (fingers crossed) I'll be off but I'm interested in the shared bathroom accommodation and can't find much about it online. Anyone know what it's like compared to the en-suite/shared at other unis??

I have an offer for journalism too :biggrin: During the open day I looked around an en-suite flat an Endcliffe Village and I think they said en-suites make up something like 82% of the accommodation. Could explain why it is hard to find any information online. The en-suites are very nice but for me would mean my parents will have to folk out some extra money for me to afford it.

I know applications start end of march so the University hopefully will put up some information and images of accommodation around then. :smile:

Original post by victoriasarah
I have an offer for journalism too :biggrin: During the open day I looked around an en-suite flat an Endcliffe Village and I think they said en-suites make up something like 82% of the accommodation. Could explain why it is hard to find any information online. The en-suites are very nice but for me would mean my parents will have to folk out some extra money for me to afford it.

I know applications start end of march so the University hopefully will put up some information and images of accommodation around then. :smile:

You do get shared bathroom accommodation in Endcliffe Village-there's one block, Endcliffe Vale Flats which I know is self catered shared bathroom. Once I'm home I'll try find the links for you

I'm a 3rd year at Sheffield, so any questions, let me know :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by super_kawaii
You do get shared bathroom accommodation in Endcliffe Village-there's one block, Endcliffe Vale Flats which I know is self catered shared bathroom. Once I'm home I'll try find the links for you

I'm a 3rd year at Sheffield, so any questions, let me know :smile:

Hiya, just wondering how many people share per bathroom? cheers:smile:
Original post by zitino
Hiya, just wondering how many people share per bathroom? cheers:smile:

In Endcliffe Vale Flats I think it's 8 people share a bathroom

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by super_kawaii
In Endcliffe Vale Flats I think it's 8 people share a bathroom

Posted from TSR Mobile

and what size-ish is it?

I'm also applying for shared bathroom accommodation this year. I was in halls in London last where we lived in a large victorian hall with a shared kitchen and bathrooms on each floor and a beautiful garden in the middle. I also go to know my friend's halls in Nottingham quite well where it was the traditional catered dining hall with shared bathrooms. In my opinion this is the most sociable and enjoyable options, plus one that is offered at Sheffield. I had a good wander round the accommodation at Endcliffe on the open day and the smaller half that has Stephenson and Crewe is in a really beautiful area of trees with gardens and a tennis court (that I think is for the students).

A lot of people prefer the idea of the en suite in a small apartment but personally I prefer to be able to regularly see a much larger group of people, what if you really didn't get on with the people in your flat? In London my hall was on of the smallest (around 150 people) and it was further up the road than the others but as a result everyone got to know each other really well.

Going a little off topic there but my point is that at Sheffield in particular the shared bathroom accommodation is in a much prettier location, handsome set of buildings and is more sociable (plus I think you have to clean your en suite yourself). Some past students have told me the rooms in the older buildings are on average much larger too.

Not sure about prices, I think that the catered is the most expensive, which includes a few of the shared bathroom halls.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm currently in Stephenson if you have any questions, but a bit of general information about the accommodation.

The main corridor that i am on has 17 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms and a very small kitchenette. The shared bathrooms are all decent sizes although there are some showers that you favour over others (i'm not a fan of using a curtain, so use one with a sliding door). The bedrooms are all pretty decent sizes compared to the newer accommodation in Endcliffe and Ranmoor, although i would add that it is slightly more outdated furniture. However there are slight variations on the bedrooms depending on which section of Stephenson you are in. I suppose i should also add that most of us were insurance holders, not that it means much.

The catering system users GeniUS cards, and you get just under £50 every Sunday put onto it (not including holidays). That may seem a lot, but when you think about it, it's about £7 a day and a standard evening meal at The Edge diner is £3.50, and if you get a meal deal at lunchtime, that is also £3.50. Flexibility is not something you have a great deal of when it comes to the card, although it can be used in the Village Shop and in most of the University cafe's (sadly not the SU shop).

The fact that the larger floors make it more sociable can have it's negative points. For example i enjoy relative peace and quiet at appropriate times of the night, yet being located next to the door i am often kept awake until 2am because there always seems to be people coming and going, and the person that is opposite me tends to enjoy staying up late having conversations with friends from other floors.

There is also the chance you could end up with the general plonker, for example one guy on my floor did something stupid (was funny at the time), that caused the carpet needing to be replaced. The near £2000 damage bill (which did include other things such as damaged roof tiles), is split between everybody on the floor unless the person involved took responsibility. Fortunately the deposit should cover it.

To be honest when i found out i was in catered halls, i was not looking forward to it, however to be fair it hasn't been that all bad and if it wasn't for a select few of certain personalities that i ended up with, i would consider it a decent place to stay in your first year.
(edited 9 years ago)

I live on campus accommodation now, so maybe my info is more up to date, but I've been in at least 3 different buildings that have shared bathroom.

Stevenson - shared bathroom + catered
Crewe Flats - shared bathroom + uncatered
Endcliffe Vale Flats - shared bathroom + uncatered
Crescent Flats - shared bathroom + uncatered

You tend to get an older building but a slightly bigger room than the more modern buildings :smile:

Hope this helps!
Original post by _Morsey_
I'm currently in Stephenson if you have any questions, but a bit of general information about the accommodation... i would consider it a decent place to stay in your first year.

Thank you, this is really helpful. On the open day I went into Stephenson but since the proper tour didn't cover it I sort of had to work things out for myself. I loved the grassy garden area that Stephenson and Crewe occupy, I find that modern university accommodation always scrimps on looks and atmosphere and it was promising to see that Sheffield still had some of the original halls.

Could you tell me if the bar and JCR (common/games room by the entrance) are still there for residents' use? Also anything you know about Crewe would be a great help.

Thanks again!
Original post by Stash_Kroh
Thank you, this is really helpful. On the open day I went into Stephenson but since the proper tour didn't cover it I sort of had to work things out for myself. I loved the grassy garden area that Stephenson and Crewe occupy, I find that modern university accommodation always scrimps on looks and atmosphere and it was promising to see that Sheffield still had some of the original halls.

Could you tell me if the bar and JCR (common/games room by the entrance) are still there for residents' use? Also anything you know about Crewe would be a great help.

Thanks again!

From what i am aware, the JCR is still open for residents use. I've seen people playing ping pong and i also believe that film nights are held regularly there in conjunction with The Edge and The Ridge. There is also a library in the building which i know is used often but i am not sure whether the bar is still open for residents use. Also unfortunately i haven't really wondered about near Crewe so i can't really provide much information on Crewe.
Original post by Stash_Kroh

Thanks again!

I think the bar in Stephenson is closed for good, no need to have it with the Edge bar around.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending