The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Is Kings College London not a good school?

I got accepted there and I really like the school and I'm very excited to be starting there but I've seen lots of people on this site , say the school is not that good or how it's crappy and is a waste. I'm starting to feel very upset and like I made the wrong choice . Is it that bad? Feeling very insecure about it now

Scroll to see replies

KCL is really good. They are top 25 in the world and top 10 in the UK. It's obviously not Oxbridge or Imperial, but it's still really, really good. Congratulations on your offer.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by vanessanoelle
I got accepted there and I really like the school and I'm very excited to be starting there but I've seen lots of people on this site , say the school is not that good or how it's crappy and is a waste. I'm starting to feel very upset and like I made the wrong choice . Is it that bad? Feeling very insecure about it now

The only reason people are saying it isn't good is because Kings never gather sufficient data regarding student satisfaction which has caused their rankings to drop quite low in the domestic rankings.

Realistically, it's still a very good university and 95% of people view it very highly. Ignore what these people on TSR say.
Just have a look at the number of graduates in employment and that should dispel any insecurities you have.

Congrats on getting an offer btw.
It's a very good university - Russell Group, research intensive, competitive entry, good reputation... You've got nothing to worry about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Overrated

Only high in rankings because it's in London
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Overrated

Only high in rankings because it's in London

So you mean the rankings have a measure that says "How close is the university to the centre of London"?

Is the above the kind of childish and ignorant views you are listening to on TSR and taking seriously?

The ones that say a university that is one of the top 6 in getting government funding is "crappy" and "a waste"?

So you think the UK government put their limited resources into crap and waste lands?
Reply 6
Ignore what people have said. If you want to go there, you go there. No one's opinion should sway you in another direction especially since you have said you are excited to go there. King's College London is still a very good university, like the people above have said, and of course every uni has disadvantages but if King's is good for you and your chosen degree course then don't doubt your decision.

Hope everything works out for you.
I am a KCL student and it's a wonderful university. Living in London as a student is a really unique experience, but if the uni is worrying you I can reassure you the teaching is definitely first-class.
Original post by LutherVan
So you mean the rankings have a measure that says "How close is the university to the centre of London"?

No have you not heard of reputation rankings? Kind of a big deal...
Subtle brag thread?
No have you not heard of reputation rankings? Kind of a big deal...

I still don't get your arguments.

What am I suppose to hear about reputation rankings or interpret from it relating to being located in London?
I still don't get your arguments.

What am I suppose to hear about reputation rankings or interpret from it relating to being located in London?

:indiff:

Really? I cba I'm too drunk and it's too late...

KCL is easily among the best Unis in Europe. The only all-rounder unis in UK which are consistently of higher quality are Oxford, Cambridge and UCL (by all-rounder, I mean a Uni which offers a comphrensive range of subjects, i.e. not LSE or Imperial). The only bad thing about KCL compared to other unis is the student satisfaction. The vast majority of people I know at King's have had no problems that can't be solved by a bit of perseverance, and most of the student satisfaction issues were related to the renovation works which have now largely finished. Otherwise, KCL is absolutely first class.
It's probably above average, but not particularly very good.
Reply 14
Don't get too swayed by others opinion, obviously you can take them into slight consideration but focus mainly on what matters most to you: course programme, quality teaching, placement/exchange options, generally the stats that are most relevant to you. KCL is definitely one of those better unis and tbh you will always find some moody students moaning about how "crappy" a certain uni is and they scare other prospective students with their horror stories, of course every uni has some accidents now and then but KCL is a very good institution and it's up to you how much you get out of your studies, if you just sit and expect everything to be amazing then you will obviously get disappointed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Origami Bullets
It's a very good university - Russell Group, research intensive, competitive entry, good reputation... You've got nothing to worry about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

inb4 people who have never visited universities outside UK go "KCL is one of the best unis in Europe" :rolleyes:

Also, I always love it when people cite arbitrary criteria. :rolleyes: Without knowing whether OP is going for a career in academia, you cannot cite research intense as a relevant criteria. Teaching would be a better criteria.

OP, a priori, unis with high entry criteria are likely to have hard working students. It depends what you are looking for. Check the stats most relevant to you, visit the university. It seems to me that it is a nice place to study.
:indiff:

Really? I cba I'm too drunk and it's too late...

So we should take it that you were drunk when you made the statement then, hence you were not making sense?
Original post by Copperknickers
KCL is easily among the best Unis in Europe. The only all-rounder unis in UK which are consistently of higher quality are Oxford, Cambridge and UCL (by all-rounder, I mean a Uni which offers a comphrensive range of subjects, i.e. not LSE or Imperial). The only bad thing about KCL compared to other unis is the student satisfaction. The vast majority of people I know at King's have had no problems that can't be solved by a bit of perseverance, and most of the student satisfaction issues were related to the renovation works which have now largely finished. Otherwise, KCL is absolutely first class.

And Edinburgh too.

It is an all rounder university and in the UK.
Original post by Juichiro
inb4 people who have never visited universities outside UK go "KCL is one of the best unis in Europe" :rolleyes:

Also, I always love it when people cite arbitrary criteria. :rolleyes: Without knowing whether OP is going for a career in academia, you cannot cite research intense as a relevant criteria. Teaching would be a better criteria.

OP, a priori, unis with high entry criteria are likely to have hard working students. It depends what you are looking for. Check the stats most relevant to you, visit the university. It seems to me that it is a nice place to study.

If we focus on teaching as a criteria, we would be advising many students to attend University of Derby and the likes.
If we focus on teaching as a criteria, we would be advising many students to attend University of Derby and the likes.

You need not to focus on a single criteria but on a combination of several. Advising all students to attend X university or Z university is nonsense. Different pupils will want different things and thus they might not all be suitable for X university or Z university because of that. Some of them might fit better in University of Derby and "the likes" and some will not.

Latest