The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alabelle
How do you get away with not doing lesson plans? Is it different for secondary? We are expected to plan (in detail) every lesson we teach. I also was doing my evaluations weekly but my tutor found out and told me it was useless for me to do that as it was too long after the lesson. I preferred doing them in one batch too though!

It's dependent on the school tbh. I'm only writing lesson plans for the lessons that I have been officially observed in.

My first placement wanted plans in 24 hours in advance, my second placement don't - I just send my mentor/class teacher if I want to - a brief outline of the lesson
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I wonder if in my modding capacity for this forum I should start a sticky for those having a positive experience of the PGCE. Is only having a negative sticky a bit daunting for potential new entrants for the profession? In my gnarled and grizzly old state of mind, I am inclined to believe that this thread tells more of the truth, but wonder what the rest of you think. Shall I create and stick a happy thread?

There was one made somewhere already (not stickied tho)! :smile:
Original post by *Interrobang*
There was one made somewhere already (not stickied tho)! :smile:

Well, I guess if it wasn't stickied and sank without trace through underuse, that answers my question!
I've got my first interview next week, and I am panicking. I have to teach a 30 minute literacy lesson to Year 4. There's almost 2 levels in the range of ability in the class, and I don't know how I can differentiate without knowing the children. If I put them in mixed ability groups, surely that would be a no-no? My last placement was with much younger children, and I haven't started my second placement yet, so I really don't feel ready for interviews, but the jobs in my area are being advertised now and I can't afford to wait and miss out. I'm afraid I am going to make a fool of myself!
Original post by Airfairy
It's not different for secondary, it's different for schools/mentors. In both my placements I've had to do lesson plans. Not only that but I use them heavily in the lesson - they are a script for me, so I'd do them even if I didn't have to. However there are some trainees on my current placement who were moaning that they hate this current school because at their last school they didn't do one lesson plan, even for formal observations! I think that is rare.

Brilliant, thank you. Maybe I will go then.

Ah, ok. It's a requirement at my uni to produce a lesson plan for each lesson, a brief evaluation for each lesson, and one evaluation in detail daily. So I guess it depends on the uni too.

I wonder if in my modding capacity for this forum I should start a sticky for those having a positive experience of the PGCE. Is only having a negative sticky a bit daunting for potential new entrants for the profession? In my gnarled and grizzly old state of mind, I am inclined to believe that this thread tells more of the truth, but wonder what the rest of you think. Shall I create and stick a happy thread?

To be honest I read this thread last year and it helped set my expectations. If I didn't realise how hard this was going to be, I might not have reached this point. Part of me thinks it is important to be realistic about how demanding this course is. My biggest problem at the moment is that my uni peer group are too positive! I'm having a tough time and they don't want to hear me vent. It might be the opposite for some trainees here though.

Original post by Samus2
It's dependent on the school tbh. I'm only writing lesson plans for the lessons that I have been officially observed in.

My first placement wanted plans in 24 hours in advance, my second placement don't - I just send my mentor/class teacher if I want to - a brief outline of the lesson

You're lucky! My uni require full plans for every lesson.
Original post by alabelle
To be honest I read this thread last year and it helped set my expectations. If I didn't realise how hard this was going to be, I might not have reached this point. Part of me thinks it is important to be realistic about how demanding this course is. My biggest problem at the moment is that my uni peer group are too positive! I'm having a tough time and they don't want to hear me vent. It might be the opposite for some trainees here though.

Yes, I'm getting the message fairly clearly. TBH, the fact that the PGCE is an utterly dreadful ordeal and the job itself is little better is my own view, but since I am frequently accused of having a bit of a jade-tinted spectacles view of things, I thought I might try to shove aside my own prejudices for a moment!
Yes, I'm getting the message fairly clearly. TBH, the fact that the PGCE is an utterly dreadful ordeal and the job itself is little better is my own view, but since I am frequently accused of having a bit of a jade-tinted spectacles view of things, I thought I might try to shove aside my own prejudices for a moment!

Perhaps just change the thread title to something more neutral like "Current PGCE Students"?

I think this thread is already used for positive things (mixed in with all the moaning) - it's a community of trainee teachers and consequently people share how they're feeling about the course, whether they've had a good or bad day, but the title suggest it's 100% negative.

Of course it's still more like 80-90% moaning (because the PGCE is a tough year) but I think rather than a separate thread, a title change would do the job.
Original post by myrtille
Perhaps just change the thread title to something more neutral like "Current PGCE Students"?

I think this thread is already used for positive things (mixed in with all the moaning) - it's a community of trainee teachers and consequently people share how they're feeling about the course, whether they've had a good or bad day, but the title suggest it's 100% negative.

Of course it's still more like 80-90% moaning (because the PGCE is a tough year) but I think rather than a separate thread, a title change would do the job.

Good idea. What do the rest of you think about that?

Edit: Did it anyway. If there's a roar of disapproval I'll change it back, but let's see how it goes for now.
(edited 9 years ago)
Good idea. What do the rest of you think about that?

Edit: Did it anyway. If there's a roar of disapproval I'll change it back, but let's see how it goes for now.

Why couldn't you just create another one titled 'PGCE = never felt so happy or carefree"? :biggrin:

Before I started my pgce I used to watch this thread for a while(once I read the thread from page 1 as I THAT curious!). I really liked reading other people talk about how they are finding the course as it gave me some mental preparation of what it will be like when I start in Sept.

Most importantly, the pgce is HARD and this thread really helped me out a lot, it's like we are all kindred spirits. I love you all guys!
Original post by davros
Why couldn't you just create another one titled 'PGCE = never felt so happy or carefree"? :biggrin:

Lol! You go ahead, with a sincere and heartfelt first post and I will sticky it!
Original post by Red Lightning
Before I started my pgce I used to watch this thread for a while(once I read the thread from page 1 as I THAT curious!). I really liked reading other people talk about how they are finding the course as it gave me some mental preparation of what it will be like when I start in Sept.

Most importantly, the pgce is HARD and this thread really helped me out a lot, it's like we are all kindred spirits. I love you all guys!

It is indeed an excellent thread, and I think it is vital to have the kind of peer support you find on it. I wouldn't have made it through without the equivalent of a generation ago, weekly meetings in the pub, but none of you need to go to the same lengths as I did, which was marrying my major supporter on the course...
I feel like death warmed up and I have a thousand and one things to do. My temperature is high and I feel like everything hurts.

My sister is in hospital and I'm not allowed to visit her while sick too so that's making me feel even worse :frown:

I think there are far too many Stickies in Education & Teaching already,
Original post by Mr M
I think there are far too many Stickies in Education & Teaching already,

Fair enough. Solved the issue with a title change.
Fair enough. Solved the issue with a title change.

I am impressed with the new title. Gives the opportunity for people feeling all emotions x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey chaps

I have a placement at a school for children with severe and profound learning difficulties. I've no idea what to expect really. I've never worked with SEN children before. Has anyone else worked in a special school and can give me any more idea about how classes are taught to cater for a wide range of severe/multiple learning difficulties?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Veggiechic6
Hey chaps

I have my 4 day special needs placement next week at a school for children with severe and profound learning difficulties. I'll be working with KS1 (I'm primary PGCE) but I've no idea what to expect really. I've never worked with SEN children before. Has anyone else worked in a special school and can give me any more idea about how classes are taught to cater for a wide range of severe/multiple learning difficulties?

You guys are so lucky that you only have a few months left of the course. I started my PGCE in February so I don't finish until December. I've been following this thread, it's nice to know what's coming!

I did a secondary PGCE with a quick 3 day placement in a special needs school. It was great - you'll really enjoy it. They cater for such a wide range of learners by having a pretty much 1:1 student:staff ratio.
Original post by Pineapple pie
I am impressed with the new title. Gives the opportunity for people feeling all emotions x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you. That was my hope.:smile:
Original post by Veggiechic6
Hey chaps

I have my 4 day special needs placement next week at a school for children with severe and profound learning difficulties. I'll be working with KS1 (I'm primary PGCE) but I've no idea what to expect really. I've never worked with SEN children before. Has anyone else worked in a special school and can give me any more idea about how classes are taught to cater for a wide range of severe/multiple learning difficulties?

You guys are so lucky that you only have a few months left of the course. I started my PGCE in February so I don't finish until December. I've been following this thread, it's nice to know what's coming!

I did 2 days in a special school a couple of weeks ago. It was good! I enjoyed it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending